Rate this HBCU Day 25: Clark Atlanta University

How would you rate Clark Atlanta University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 3 33.3%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Clark_Atlanta_University_seal.svg
Clark_Atlanta_University_wordmark.svg

Yesterday we covered Voorhees College in South Carolina which received an average rating of 7.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we shift to the ATL and cover our first member of the Atlanta University Center (AUC). Clark Atlanta University is one of the oldest HBCUs in the United States and the oldest in the South. It was originally started in 1862 during the Civil War by literate ex-slaves (James Tate and Grandison B. Daniels) who used a church (not sure how they survived doing this then). After the war in September 1865, northern missionaries bought a boxcar that they used as the first class room for Atlanta University. Atlanta University was not only a trailblazer in Black education but in higher education research having one of the first (maybe the first) sociology departments in the country headed by the legendary W.E.B. DuBois who was trained in sociology in Europe.

Clark University (later Clark College) was founded by the United Methodist Church in 1869 as a liberal arts institute for undergraduates. Its focus was always undergraduate while Atlanta University had both undergraduate and graduate studies. In 1929, John Hope, president of Morehouse (and formerly president of Atlanta University) envisioned the Atlanta University Center (AUC) which would be a consortium of 3 HBCUs then in Atlanta: Morehouse, Spelman, and Atlanta University. Clark College, and Morris Brown joined in 1957. It would be used to coordinate and share resources though each school would keep their own administrations. They currently share Robert W. Woodruff Library and a dual engineering program.

As part of the AUC formation in 1929, Atlanta University gave up its undergraduate program to Morehouse and Spelman and became a graduate only training and research institute. Clark College remained only undergraduate. By 1988 both schools faced issues: Atlanta University had financial issues and Clark College had no room to expand. Thomas W. Cole Jr.,, then the chancellor of the state university system of West Virginia, was called to help orchestrate a merger between Atlanta University and Clark College (helped behind the scenes by Mayor Andrew Young and Clark College board of trustees member Vernon Jordan). Clark Atlanta University was thus born in 1988.

Clark Atlanta University is the only co-ed undergraduate institution in the AUC (Morehouse School of Medicine is co-ed but grad). It is well-known and over half of its students come from other states, most of which are not in the south. It may not be seen as elite as Morehouse or Spelman but has a good reputation and is often a choice for Black folks in Atlanta.

Basic data (all data 2021 unless otherwise noted)

Founded: 1865

City, State: Atlanta, GA

Type: 4-year, Private not-for-profit (United Methodist affiliation)

Nickname: Panthers

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 4,055 (3,390 undergraduate), 78% Black

Out of State Percentage: 62% (top states are Illinois, California, Florida, and New York)

Largest international contingent is actually Saudi Arabia (grad work it seems mostly)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 18:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 58%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 31% / 44%

Transfer out rate: 17%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 24% male / 76% female (3:1)

Tuition: $24k

Median Debt After Graduation: $27,000
Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $39,369

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Business Administration: $43k, Criminal Justice: $35k, Communications: $30k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Communications, Biology, Fashion Design, Theatre/Music, Psychology, Criminal Justice

Endowment: $74M (incl. $15M from Mackenzie Scott and $1M from Kenya Barris)

Alumni Engagement: 8.5% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: SIAC (Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Panthers

header_logo.png

Main Campus
DuBois bust at Harkness Hall
M-WEB-DuBois-bust-by-Ayokunle-Odeleye-at-Clark-Atlanta-University-Wikipedia.jpg

clark-u.jpg

Wright-Young Hall (Business School)
sizemore-group-wright-young-hall.jpg

Dorms
web%20dorm2.jpg

Panther Stadium
20190529_133110.jpg

_DSC0799.JPG

CAUband_ClarkAtlantaUniversity_courtesy.jpg

CAUband2_ClarkAtlantaUniversity_courtesy.jpg

1448483009.png

15-16-team00a.jpg

Essence Dancers
90e0d64e225dd85ab38691d189f5fd1c.jpg

essence2_1.jpg

Miss CAU
8a5cee7721af831164d2307201b7fc4c.jpg

view

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @Smokee Robinson @MostReal @Tee @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @Karume @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @TheKongoEmpire @Son_Of_God @Theolodius_Black @mson @xoxodede @Anerdyblackguy @EndDomination

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Notable Alumni: (where do I begin?)

James Weldon Johnson - composer best known for "Lift Every Voice and Sing"
%28Portrait_of_James_Weldon_Johnson%29_%28LOC%29_-_Flickr_-_The_Library_of_Congress.jpg

Kenya Barris - producer, most well-known for Black-ish
Kenya_Barris%2C_the_Series_Creator_and_Executive_Producer_of_%22Blackish.%22%2C_May_2016.jpg

Henry O. Flipper - first Black graduate of West Point
size0-full.jpg

Henry C. "Hank" Johnson - congressman Georgia 4th District
Hank_Johnson_official_photo_2.jpg

Marilyn Strickland - former Washington state congresswoman
Marilyn_Strickland_117th_U.S_Congress.jpg

Aisha "Pinky" Cole - founder of Slutty Vegan restaurants
Pinky_Cole_on_Sister_Circle.jpg

Bryan-Michael Cox - producer
Bryan+Michael+Cox+3rd+Annual+Atlanta+Legends+4aBqyyDanphl.jpg

Fletcher Henderson - jazz composer (and Chemistry major)
Fletcher_Henderson_%281943_publicity_photo%29.jpg

Ma$e - rapper
mase-smile-1.jpg

Louis Tompkins Wright - pioneering Black surgeon
b8cad643ec425a58fa7093fcbd1c728c76fef66f.webp

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
My cousin currently attends this school. He’s in their graduate program.

Good school. Being here in the ATL metro, I’ve come across a lot of CAU alum. Reading the history on them the OP provided, I did not know they were the oldest HBCU in the south.

InGodWeTrust

Tall & Handsome in ATL
Daps
Got accepted. Visited campus. Too expensive for an out of state Breh with no scholarships.

Ended up going to a big PWI, debt free, no schools loans. No regrets.

Campus and the higher ups had shyt unorganized. My mom wasn’t feelin that. If I would’ve went, I would’ve knocked some chick up and been messed up in the game of life.

I love ATL now but my daughter is going to UGA or GSU. I graduated and moved down here after college.

Wouldn’t have had it any other way

Koapa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Arlington, Tx.
I went to PVAMU.

My lil cousin went to CAU for grad. I visited him for a week some years ago. I immediately stated looking for jobs in Atl. I met a lot cool azz people that attended CAU grad school.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
In every school I work in it’s a ton of CAU alum. They have a lot of reach in Atlanta. I’ve never been on their campus but the whole AUC is an integral part of Atlanta culture.

I was never interested in attending Clark but I appreciate what they are & have did for black students.

Their athletic department & band have been low tier for years but CAU does everything else right

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
GREAT profile of the school.
Didn't know how much of a national/international institution that it was. Nearly 2/3 of the students are from outside Georgia. Really unique that the bulk of them are not from bordering states.

Was not aware of the details of the merger of Atlanta and Clark.
Andrew Young and the late Vernon Jordan behind the scenes, pulling the strings, making things happen.
They aired a doc. about Jordan after he passed away, and I remember him saying that he grew up and was raised on the Clark campus.
Civic and business support and backers plays into these discussions about the future of these individual schools.

Also wasnt aware of how and why the AUC was formed, until now. Thanks

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
Another member of the AUC, very good school and was the place where most of the beautiful mass communication majors were attending in my day. My dorm (Robert Hall) even made sure we created our own Morehouse Brother and Clark Sister ceremony with them, giving us sisters from both Clark and Spelman.

So really, we all interacted with each other like one big University comprised of Clark Atlanta University, Morehouse, Spelman and Morris Brown (until 2002). All of us meeting at Club Woody, which is what we called the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and Stegall's.

B1G_controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I had family that went to clark

I visited there so many times from the late 90s to late 00s

Best homecoming I ever went to was a Clark alumni party at the W...5-6 floors of nothing but hotties :noah:

Their Deltas are world class...my cousin is one and introduced me to all her line sisters, prophytes, etc :wow:

Had a steady set of cheeks down there too from 04-07, Chi-town thotties are my weakness :shaq:

I'm from SW Philly, so the surrounding neighborhood around the campus didn't bother me

If I could do it all over again, I could see myself doing undergrad there