Rate this HBCU Day 29: Coppin State University

How would you rate Coppin State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 2 33.3%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Coppin_State_University_seal.svg
Coppin_State_University_logo.svg

We last discussed the venerable Alabama A&M which received an average score of 7.1

See the updated leaderboard here

Next we head to B'More and showcase another Maryland HBCU (we last covered UMES), Coppin State University. The smaller HBCU of Baltimore (Morgan State being almost 4 times larger in enrollment) Coppin State is probably the least well-known of the HBCUs in MD having the lowest percentage of out of state students (despite some coming from as far as California).

It started originally as a Douglass High School for Blacks in 1902. In the 1920s, the Black community pressured the Baltimore school board to start a Black teacher training college due to a shortage of Black teachers. Douglass High School became a teaching school named after Fanny Jackson Coppin, a pioneer Black female educator and the first principal of a major school in the US (the Quaker Friend's School of Philadelphia). It largely completed its mission but has been plagued by disproportionately low funding by the state throughout most of its history.

Fanny_jackson_coppin_headshot.jpg

Fanny Jackson Coppin

Founded: 1900 (as a high school); 1926 as a college

City, State: Baltimore, MD

Type: 4-Year, Public

Nickname: Eagles

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 2,101 (1,845 undergraduate), 83% Black

Out of State Percentage: 16% (Top states: Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, California)

Top counties for in-state students: Baltimore (city and county), Prince Georges, Howard, Montgomery, Anne Arundel

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 10:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 48%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 14% / 26%

Transfer out rate: 40%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 77% female / 23% male (3.3:1)

Tuition: In-State: $6.8k, Out-of-State: +$13.3k

Median Debt After Graduation: $23,500
Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $41,709

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Nursing: $75k, Criminal Justice: $43k, Social Work: $38k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Nursing, Criminal Justice, Business Administration, Social Work, Psychology

Endowment: $16M

Alumni Engagement: 5.3% of alumni donate

Athletic Conference: MEAC (NCAA Div 1)

Mascot: Eagles
5308_coppin_state_eagles-partial-2004.png

Notable Alumni:

Stephanie Ready - NBA commentator and analyst
vpgUNgvA__1_.0.jpeg

Bishop L. Robinson - first Black police commissioner of Baltimore
1198-1-2647b.jpg

Damon Elliott - hip-hop producer/singer
LTkyNDEuanBlZw.jpeg

Main Campus

coppin-state.jpg

Student Center
J._Millard_Tawes_Student_Center%2C_Coppin_State_University%2C_2500_W._North_Avenue%2C_Baltimore%2C_MD_21216_%2827241897889%29.jpg

Coppin%20State%20University%20Graduate.png

Coppin.jpg

arena_picture.jpg

Team_i_kW8d6VQ_X3_71.jpg

Band
105f38_6eb608f89b2d4d41a1b9915888e35e54~mv2.jpg

Cheerleaders
CSUCheer.jpg

Miss Coppin State
Final-2.jpg

P.S. Yes, the current Miss Coppin State (Keylin Perez) is also who you see in the cheerleader team pic as well.

P.S.S. She is also the editor of the school paper the Coppin Courier

Let these Tik Tok loudmouths keep talking shyt about a chick with professional weapons training :mjlol: (link)
1000w_q95.jpg

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

Last edited:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Coppin and Morgan are basically the 13th grade in Baltimore
:heh:

Coppin is a very good school tho. I know a bunch of successful people who went there including my girl and my homeboys wife. Growing up people used to call it the University of North Ave. but it’s come along way since then and it’s built up and expanded a lot

Btw when are you doing a thread on my alma mater Morgan St the greatest HBCU there ever was?
:martin:

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

Coppin is a very good school tho. I know a bunch of successful people who went there including my girl and my homeboys wife. Growing up people used to call it the University of North Ave. but it’s come along way since then and it’s built up and expanded a lot

Btw when are you doing a thread on my alma mater Morgan St the greatest HBCU there ever was?

:skip:Give me a couple weeks, I'll do Morgan and then Bowie a few weeks after that.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Out of State Percentage: 16% (Top states: Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, California)

Tuition: In-State: $6.8k, Out-of-State: +$13.3k

Aug 23 2023

Coppin State University to Offer In-State Tuition to New Out-of-State Students from More than 30 States and U.S. Territories​

BALTIMORE – Coppin State University today announced new full-time undergraduate degree-seeking students admitted to the university from more than 30 states and U.S. territories outside of Maryland, will be eligible to pay in-state tuition upon enrollment. The innovative proposal, which will take effect Fall 2024, was approved by the University System of Maryland Board of Regents during a meeting at Coppin State University earlier this year.

“At a time where more individuals and families are questioning the value and cost of higher education, our goal is to reduce barriers and increase access to the quality education Coppin State University provides, at an affordable price.” explained Anthony L. Jenkins, president of Coppin State University. “Coppin State gives our students a transformative educational experience in an environment that nurtures, challenges, and empowers them, regardless of their racial or socioeconomic background. Although our students graduate with student loan debt below the national average, with this initiative, we are demonstrating the return on investment for degree-seekers, by further reducing the financial cost, and allowing students to enjoy the holistic experience of their college years.”

During the 2022-2023 academic year, 85 percent of students enrolled at Coppin State resided in Maryland, and 15 percent of students resided in another state. Offering in-state tuition for some out-of-state students will allow Coppin State to expand its enrollment footprint, increase its recruitment of out-of-state students, and strengthen relationships in states where students could have interest in attending an HBCU, either as a first-time or transfer student. The newly adopted tuition policy also strengthens retention of students from lower-income families, by allowing grants, scholarship, and other dollars to go further, by reducing overall cost.

Coppin State University, a member institution of the University System of Maryland, is the most affordable four-year college or university in the state, with tuition and fees costing $7,001 per year for full-time undergraduate students taking 12 or more credits. The in-state tuition rate for students will apply once the student is admitted and enrolls at Coppin State. Eligible students will continue to pay the in-state tuition rate while pursuing their undergraduate degree at Coppin State.
The in-state tuition offer does not apply to returning undergraduate students, or students pursuing a graduate or doctoral degree.

Coppin State University serves as a key force in facilitating upward mobility for its students and positive economic impact for the state. The economic impact of Coppin State is supported by its outcomes, with 70 percent of Coppin State graduates opting to stay in Maryland after graduation, and 48 percent choosing to live and work in Baltimore City.

Prospective students living in the following states and U.S. territories are eligible for the in-state tuition incentive: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, St. Croix, St. John, St. Thomas, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming

Coppin State ain't got no love for Pennsylvanians? Well, let be known then !

Aint-got-no-love.gif

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Baltimore university launches largest capital campaign in its history

Anthony Jenkins

Coppin State University President Anthony Jenkins​

Baltimore Business Journal
Jan 9, 2024

Coppin State University publicly launched a $25 million capital campaign on Monday to support new scholarships, improve its library and boost its research efforts.
The "Be More" campaign, the largest in the historically Black university's history, is part of a wave of changes at the North Baltimore institution intended to reverse a massive decline in enrollment over the past decade. The largest group of funds will go toward student achievement and retention, including $7 million in scholarship support and $3 million to improve the Eagle Achievement Center, a resource hub with coworking spaces and other facilities for students that Coppin started last year.

The campaign will also fund additional construction projects and academic programs to complement President Anthony Jenkins' efforts to attract students to Baltimore. The institution quietly began raising money for the campaign in 2021 and has raised $12 million so far. Coppin hopes to complete the fundraiser by 2025.

Other HBCUs in Maryland have also launched fundraising campaigns during a challenging time for higher education as more students choose not to attend college. The University of Maryland Eastern Shore launched a $60 million capital campaign last year to provide new scholarships and entrepreneurial opportunities to students. Morgan State University completed a $250 million campaign in 2018 and President David Wilson hopes to launch a new fundraising effort in the next few years to boost its endowment by several hundred million.

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State

I visited coppin years ago.

I actually thought it was a nice little college.

Hopefully they reach their financial goals.