Rate this HBCU Day 45: Edward Waters University

How would you rate Edward Waters University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 40.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
ewcboard_processed_61bfe5a59571daa5e2694bc6158496427bbbe65b57b56ce8527ec7de7c251a05_logo.png
Tiger-Head-Primary-copy-2@2x.png

Yesterday we reviewed Tougaloo College, the relatively unknown gem of Jackson, MS. It received an average score of 7.2.

See the updated leaderboard here

Edward Waters University, formerly Edward Waters College until 2020, is one of the older universities established by the AME Church. Others include Morris Brown and Livingston University. Originally set up as a school in theology, it provided a vital educational outlet in post-slavery Florida before the land grant schools like Florida A&M or Bethune Cookman existed. Named for the third bishop of the AME Church, Edward Waters, it was largely a divinity school and then a high school and did not become a four-year university until 1979.

Two pieces of statistical information about the school are unclear. First, the Department of Education databases have two figures for the Black enrollment--one says 62% and the other 83%. I used the 83% since the enrollment number for the other source was high compared to school data. Florida Memorial University has a high number of non-Black students in both databases. Also, over 2/3 of the students attend part-time. This may be a legacy of the "college" status it had until 2020.

Founded: 1866

City, State: Jacksonville, FL

Type: 4-year private, not-for-profit (African Methodist Episcopal)

Nickname: Tigers

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 1,181, 83% Black

Part-time student percentage: 64%

First Generation Student Percentage: 50%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 67% / 2%

Out of State Percentage: 14%

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 22:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 80%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 17% / 28%

Transfer out rate: 2%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 50% male/ 50% female (1:1)

Tuition: $15k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: N/A

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: N/A

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $31k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
N/A

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Biology, Communications, Psychology

Endowment: $5M, including $2.5M from CSX CEO Michael Ward

Alumni Engagement: N/A

Athletic Conference: SIAC (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Tigers
edward-waters-college_logo.png

Notable Alumni:
A. Philip Randolph - Civil rights activist and founder of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
179px-A._Philip_Randolph_1963_NYWTS.jpg

Leonard F. Morse - former President of Edward Waters and co-founder of Phi Beta Sigma
morse.jpg

Nat Glover - former sheriff of Jacksonville and at that time the first Black sheriff elected since Reconstruction
about_img.png

Main Campus
ghows-LK-83cc997f-9f4d-48be-a112-0419c03136ab-08a5ec03.jpeg

ghows-LK-200719429-1475828e.jpg

Centennial Hall
Centennial_Hall_Edward_Waters_College_Jacksonville_Florida_2011.jpg

Community Field and Athletic Stadium

IMG_1369.jpg

DJI_0021-800x450.jpg

Triple Threat Marching Band
ensembles-background-1.jpg

triple-threat-2.jpg

Cheerleaders
maxresdefault.jpg

crop

Purple Passion Dancers

purple-passion3-scaled.jpg

Florida%20Memorial%20at%20Edward%20Waters%20Big%20Cat%20Classic-26-L.jpg

Miss Edward Waters
24_MissEWC_TashanMorley_2017_2018-1.jpg

asaia-Cheek-Miss-EWC-400.jpg

@malbaker86 @Lucky_Lefty @Slangtonomo @General Mills @Mephistopheles @PortCityProphet @Holy Berry
@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
I once got pulled over leaving EWC. Was picking up some girls and cops was on my ass as soon as I pulled off the campus.

That changed my life right there because by all rights I should have had a DUI which would have fukked me ALL THE WAY UP.

I swore to quit driving so frivolously and I did.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Can't tell you nothing bout the academics but I can tell you I spent many a day covering a murder that was campus adjacent. It's in one of the worst neighborhoods in that shytty stank ass city. It permanently look like September 2005 New Orleans round there.
Would not recommend any parent sending their child there if they care bout their well-being
:hubie:
Only positive I can say bout it is its a Popeyes right next to their gym :yeshrug:

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Can't tell you nothing bout the academics but I can tell you I spent many a day covering a murder that was campus adjacent. It's in one of the worst neighborhoods in that shytty stank ass city. It permanently look like September 2005 New Orleans round there.
Would not recommend any parent sending their child there if they care bout their well-being
Only positive I can say bout it is its a Popeyes right next to their gym :yeshrug:
:dead:

@malbaker86 he on ya cities ass

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL

my uncle stays right off Tyler Street and has all my life so i've passed by E Dub more than i can count and I know exactly what neighborhood you're talmbout too :dead: :lupe:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
EWU held a press conference today with full details of what happened with the shooter. Really a blessing and insane.

Basically a group of students observed him in the faculty parking behind the library putting on gloves and a tactical vest and flagged down a campus security officer (honored in the video). When the officer approached him the shooter was in his car and he then fled at a high rate of speed jumping the curb.

The campus security guy pursued him in his car and flagged down a state trooper but they didn't act fast enough to corner him at Dollar General.

The press conference actually starts at 29:25.