Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Lane-College-Seal.jpg
LaneCollege.png

We last checked out Edward Waters University which received an average score of 5.6.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we hit up Jackson, Tennessee to visit the small Lane College. Lane College is another small private school that boasts huge alumni support with 33% of alumni giving back. Almost half its students come from out of state as well. Serving a predominantly lower income and first generation student population, this is an impressive feat. Also interesting is that it has maintained a nearly 1:1 male-to-female ratio in its student body for many years. Offering primarily business and education as well as liberal arts, it also has a football team, another surprising aspect for a school so small. The only aspect which may give cause for pause are the low reported salaries of graduates. Also, at 18%, Lane College has one of the lowest 3-year student debt repayment percentages amongst HBCUs in that three years out not even a quarter of its students can make regular payments. This is perhaps another issue where HBCUs of small endowments can only give litle help to students financially leaving them in an uncertain position to cover the costs.

Lane was founded in 1882 by the Black Christian Methodist Episcopal (then Colored Methodist Episcopal) church. Unlike many early HBCUs, its leaders have been Black from the start with Bishop Isaac Lane's (the school's namesake) daughter as the first leader. Like many schools of the time it produced preachers and teachers to educate and uplift the masses of Blacks newly freed from slavery.

Founded: 1882

City, State: Jackson, TN

Type: 4-year private, not-for-profit (Christian Methodist Episcopal)

Nickname: Dragons

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 1,047 (all undergraduate), 96% Black

Part-time student percentage: 6%

First Generation Student Percentage: 45%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 74% / 2%

Out of State Percentage: 47% (top are Alabama, Illinois, Georgia, and Michigan)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 15:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: Open admissions

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 17% / 24%

Transfer out rate: N/A

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 53% male/ 47% female (0.89:1)

Tuition: $12k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $33k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $11k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $29k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Sociology: $26k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Physical Education, Criminal Justice, Sociology, Communications

Endowment: $3M

Alumni Engagement: 33% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: SIAC (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Dragons
logo.png

Notable Alumni:

Chuck Rainey - legendary bass guitarist
ChuckRaineyStudioRetro-940x940.jpg

Fatima Massaquoi - Liberian educator, founder of the University of Liberia; Vai language scholar
Fatima_Massaquoi.png

Donald Hollowell - civil rights attorney who sued to integrate Atlanta schools and spring MLK from prison
DonaldLHollowell.jpg

Main Campus
image-53.png

1024px-LANE_COLLEGE_HISTORIC_DISTRICT%2C_JACKSON%2C_MADISON_COUNTY%2C_TN.jpg

landscape-24_color_sm.jpg

Lane Field
Streeter_DPOTW.jpg

IMG_9117.JPG

J.F. Lane Gymansium
DSC09818_2.jpg

LCvsAllenU_1165.png

Quiet Storm Marching Band
Band_191108_225718.jpg

Lane-College-Band.png

Cheerleaders

40694477_686550031700002_7222465396350124032_n.jpg

24991434_516863875335286_7557344343418742569_n.jpg

Dancers
02a78aea3ee4916708c6d730fa70a170.jpg

Miss Lane College

thumbnail_MissMrLaneCollege_2812_B.jpg

dd1929bd-d26a-452e-82ec-52c9c4caeafb-G98A1585.JPG

@lotteryplaya
@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

Last edited:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Never heard of Lane, but like others have said, the info provided is golden.

At 47% OOS, quite a few of the students come from outside of Tennessee. If I had to guess, Mississippi and Illinois is represented well.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Never heard of Lane, but like others have said, the info provided is golden.

At 47% OOS, quite a few of the students come from outside of Tennessee. If I had to guess, Mississippi and Illinois is represented well.
I just checked. Top are Alabama, Illinois, Georgia, and Michigan

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great profile

Unique set of stats. More men than women, nearly half out of state students, and 1/3 of alumni give back.

Always intrigued by high out of state numbers. First thing I do is to see if the school is located near the state's borderline. Then I try figure what the pull factor is. Highly rated Major, areas with high numbers of alumni promoting school in other states, popular sports program, high regional profile, highly visible grad?

Graduation rates of some of these schools are eye opening.

Last edited:

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Cool, did you go to a HBCU chiro school? Seems like a lot of HBCU alumni were with you there.

Being in ATL (Marietta) is probably one of the best locales outside of La and Dallas.

You can go to middle of nowhere Oregon Minnesota, Kansas, or Iowa or Missouri, or Spartanburg, or Daytona or Connecticut or Lombard (50 or so minutes from downtown Chicago or NY (not nyc) or Haywood (San Francisco, i looked at apt and it was a rack for a shoe box) but you will be a select few in those spaces and not exactly in a fun place maybe the Oregon one would have been nice but i just felt like I’d have no advocacy there

It was a chick that started at our school and transferred to the joint in Connecticut, but she was from around that way and i guess since her relationship went south she bounced, another chick went to Parker cuz it was close to Louisiana or maybe it was tcc (Texas chiro college) but by in large folks ain’t bounce unless it was leaving the profession entirely

But you ask yourself why go there, with the exception of La Dallas Spartanburg it’s not a lot of us and their philosophy may be whack
To be young and black and a little pocket change living in atl was a dream, plus hella shyt to get into and it was a bunch of us in the program

:francis: Black chiropractic schools were necessary back in the G, they weren’t all excited about nikkas joining the fold ( even thought the first patient was a black man) it wasa couple of them started but they all closed shop, I’d love to start an hbcu one as an extension of a hbcu

But they recruiters do a good job of going after hbcu kids, a lot of folks either don’t know what they want to do with the biology degree, or don’t want to do Med/dentist/ etc or …. Them schools just too hard to get into given seeing our degree and maybe not high mcat/ddat scores.

They present:
Be a Doctor
Change lives
Easy to get in school and get loans

Chiro school be burnin and churnin plenty of white folks and especially us because for a lot of folks this the first time they’ve experienced this level of learning, and expectations so it’s a lot of folks that crash and burn with a calm 100k debt, i know so many folks who left the program and either went back home or became a ga resident