Rate this HBCU Day 51: Hillman College

How would you rate Hillman College?

• 1 (I preferred Cheers)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (Hey, it came on after the Cosby Show)

Votes: 1 5.3%

Votes: 2 10.5%

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 10 (I been wanting to smash Whitley/Kim/Gina/Lena/Freddie/Jaleesa and the extras since...)

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

There are few HBCUs as widely known as Hillman College. A small but prestigious college in Virginia it has long attracted both first generation students as well as the upper crust of Black society. Hillman was founded in 1881 in order to educate ex-slaves and train clergymen. The Bishop William Cosby of the Universal Negro Baptist Church is credited with raising the funds for the school from church congregations and White philanthropists to buy 200 acres in the wilds of Central Virginia near the town of Hillman. However, being overshadowed by Hampton and later Virginia State, the school began to focus instead on the arts training Vaudevillians and professional Cake Dance groups up until the Great Depression. Following the Depression and World War II, the school reinvented itself as a liberal arts college and adopted its current motto "Deus Nondum Te Confecit" (God is not finished with you yet). It later added Engineering in the 1960s. Hillman is also known for having one of the largest and most prestigious ROTC programs amongst HBCUs and was one of the few programs that was not widely attacked during the anti-draft and social upheavals of the 1960s and 1970s on campus.

The school subsequently declined in ensuing decades as poor leadership and financial decisions hampered its trajectory. However, a renaissance of the school and its importance began in the late 80s and early 90s when the new president Debbie Allen took the helm and made several institutional changes that improved governance and assisted the student body. Now Hillman College is widely regarded as one of the most premier and exclusive HBCUs. So much so it isn't clear how to apply. SAT scores not required by 90s gear is de rigeur.

bishop-cosby.jpg

Bishop William Cosby of the Universal Negro Baptist Church

Founded: 1881

City, State: Somewhere between Hampton and Roanoke, VA

Type: 4-year, Private not-for-profit (NBC Universal affiliated)

Nickname: Falcons

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 99% Black

Part-time/Extra student percentage: 50%

First Generation Student Percentage: 50%

Out of State Percentage: 75% (It's A Different World)

Admissions Acceptance Rate: Unknown

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 99% / 99% (Denise Huxtable bailed)

Transfer out rate: N/A

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 50% male/ 50% female (1:1)

Top Majors by Degrees:
Theater, Communications, Mathematics, Engineering

Endowment: $70M

In addition, NBC agreed in 1991 to a two-year renewal of “A Different World” for $1.4 million per episode, or $70 million for 50 episodes.

Alumni Engagement: 100% 'A Different World' Turns 35: See The Cast Then And Now | Essence

Athletic Conference: MEAC (well they played Hampton :yeshrug:)

Mascot: Falcons

Notable Alumni:

Cliff Huxtable - prominent NYC OB/GYN, part time comic (5th generation descendant of founder)
cliff-huxtable-being-a-gynecologist-is-weird-1665494878.jpg

Russell Huxtable - Jazz trombonist known as "Slide" (4th generation descendant of founder)
earledavidhyman.png

Mercer Gilbert - wealthy scion of the Gilbert family
mqdefault.jpg

Marion Gilbert - ex-wife of Mercer Gilbert and former Miss Hillman. Part-time actress
209256.jpg

Main Campus

giphy-68.gif

Campus1.png

Student Union
student-union.png

"The Pit"
thepit.png

Greek Life - Kappa Lamda Nu

fratpledge.png

Gilbert Hall Dancers
gilberthalldancers.png

Miss Hillman
Miss-Hillman1.png

Mr. Hillman
Mr-Hillman.png

AND THE WINNER IS
:lolbron:
Miss-Hillman2.png

For all you Gen Z kids who may be clueless :beli:

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Johnny seawolf @tuckdog @The M.I.C. @Dave24 @thenatural @jadillac @manyfaces @Wallychamp @Amo Husserl @nieman @Coco Loco @HarlemHottie @Peachstate @Uachet @Ozymandeas

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
:wow: On everything I love I thought Hillman was a real college until I was 16. The heartbreak when you looking for brochures and Hillman doesn’t exist is catastrophic.

9 alone because of Whitley and Dwayne

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Hillman is Virginia's second most stellar HBCU. I remember we played them in an away game one year, and me and a bunch of the homies went to the game. The campus was nice, but kind of small. We visited the campus restaurant, The Pit (they stole that name from VSU, btw), and the older breh who owned the place even gave us the student discount. S/O to Mr. G!
Also, the women were foine! I booked this pretty chocolate jawn named Kim & my boy tried to get with her redbone friend, but he said she was kind of stuck up. IIRC, they had another friend, but she was kind of a weirdo.
Anyway, I won't bore you guys with any more of my stories, but I can vouch for Hillman's great legacy. If I could, I'd give them a 9.99.