Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 66.7%

Votes: 1 33.3%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
4179_VirginiaUniversityofLynchburg.jpg

We last covered Tennessee State University which received an average score of 8.5.

See the updated leaderboard here

Virginia University of Lynchburg is a small Christian HBCU in Lynchburg, VA. Originally started as a Baptist seminary in 1888 (the Lynchburg Baptist Seminary and later the Virginia Theological Seminary), it largely remained a seminary until changing its name to the current one in 1962. It has historically graduated many Baptist pastors who became influential in pre-Civil Rights America and the world such as Vernon Johns, the predecessor to Martin Luther King Jr. at the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church and John Chilembwe, the Baptist pastor and liberation fighter in colonial Malawi.

Currently, the school also has a deal with Liberty University to offer additional majors and classes to its students as well.

Founded: 1888

City, State: Lynchburg, Virginia

Type: 4-year private not-for-profit (Baptist affiliated)

Nickname: Dragons

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 558 (217 undergraduate), 97% Black

Part-time student percentage: 17%

First Generation Student Percentage: 52%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 70% / N/A

Out of State Percentage: 52% (Top States: Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Washington DC, Maryland, California)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 14:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: Open admissions

4-yr/8-yr graduation rates: 11% / 21%

Transfer out rate: 4%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 86% male/ 14% female (0.16:1)

Tuition: $10k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $23k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $14k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $26k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Business administration: $33k, Liberal Arts: $19k

Top Majors by Degrees: Liberal arts, business administration, sociology, religious studies

Endowment: ~$2M

Alumni Engagement: % of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) Division 1

Mascot: Dragons

image_handler.aspx

Notable Alumni:

John Chilembwe - National hero of Malawi and organizer of the Chilembwe Uprising against British rule
John_Chilembwe_%282%29_%28cropped%29.png

Vernon Johns - civil rights leader and pastor at the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama prior to MLK becoming pastor
VernonJohnssm.jpeg

Herman Dreer - co-founder (with Carter G. Woodson) of Negro History Week which later became Black History Month
1.%20Herman%20Dreer.jpg

Main Campus
VUL_Sign.jpg

232609_hero.jpg

Photo274325.jpg

Football Team
cjl4yeumwrmq4dn0-1100_Thumbnail.jpg

Cheerleaders

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Johnny seawolf

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great profile. This school is COMPLETELY overshadowed by the other schools in the state.
Alumni list is made of people whose actions were very pivotal to the freedom struggles.

Would like to read interviews from some of the presidents of the schools with the lower completion rates, to see how they are addressing the issue.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Appreciate this profile. I’ve never heard of this school, and I’m going to put the onus on myself for that.

I agree with everyone else that having such distinguished alumni at such a small school is very notable.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I didn’t know this was an HBCU till like 2-3 years ago.

Other HBCUs play this school at the beginning of the season or on homecoming because it’s a guaranteed W :russ:

I don’t think wins against them even go on your record because they play in such a low division, but I’m sure they’ll continue to take them paycheck games