Rate this HBCU Day 71: South Carolina State University

How would you rate South Carolina State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
241px-SC_State_Univ_Logo.svg.png

We last covered Wiley College which received an average score of 7.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we head back to Orangeburg, SC where we previously covered Claflin University. Its neighboring HBCU is the public HBCU South Carolina State University. SCSU is the largest HBCU in South Carolina and is a land grant school founded in 1896 as the Colored Normal Industrial Agricultural and Mechanical College of South Carolina. Initially focused on an on-campus high school to train educators, the trades, and agriculture, it became a more liberal arts institution after World War II.

SCSU was originally an agricultural and mechanical part of Claflin until it was spun out in 1896. At the time, South Carolina's leaders believed youth, both Black and White, only need vocational and not liberal arts education so at the time of SCSU's founding, it was strictly for this purpose. The White South Carolina College saw its liberal arts focus slashed as well by the new reactionary state leadership. SCSU finally started to form a liberal arts core in the 1920s and changed its name to South Carolina State College in 1954 and finally SCSU in 1992. It has a couple of unique programs including astrophysics, with a partial focus on astrobiology, and speech pathology.

SCSU was the site of the infamous Orangeburg Massacre in 1968 when state police unleashed gunfire on students protesting a segregated bowling alley killing 3 and wounding 27.

Founded: 1896

City, State: Orangeburg, SC

Type: 4-Year Public

Nickname: Bulldogs / Lady Bulldogs

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 2,374 (2,074 undergraduate), 97% Black

Part-time student percentage: 12%

First Generation Student Percentage: 42%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 70% / 2%

Out of State Percentage: 14% (Top States: Georgia, North Carolina, Washington D.C.)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 15:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 88%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 14% / 30%

Transfer out rate: 30%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 45% male/ 55% female (1.2:1 ratio)

Tuition: In-state: $11k, Out-of-state: $22k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $24k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $16k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $37k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Marketing: $44k, Criminal Justice: $41k, Social Work: $38k, Education: $36k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Biology, Family & Consumer Sciences, Criminal Justice, Psychology, Physical Education, Education, Speech Pathology

Endowment: ~$12M

Alumni Engagement: 11% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: MEAC (NCAA Div I)

Mascot: Bulldogs

202px-South_Carolina_State_Bulldogs_logo.svg.png

Notable Alumni:
Kandice Tanner - Biophysicist and cancer researcher
159px-Kandice_Tanner.jpg

James Clyburn - US Congressmen, former majority whip, savior of 2020 Biden campaign
171px-Jim_Clyburn_official_portrait_116th_Congress.jpg

Armstrong Williams - prominent radio personality and political commentator
Armstrong_Williams.jpg

Willie Jeffries - First Black football coach for a White NCAA Div 1 school (Wichita State)
coach_Jeffriesnewmug.jpg

Main Campus

218733_hero.jpg

SC_State_Engineering_and_Computer_Science_Complex.jpg

62fd7d8023326.image.jpg

SHM Memorial Center
1200px-SCSU.JPG

Marching 101 Band
Picture2.jpg

EGVXQ3FWZVACJN7RZM3IBQYUUY.jpg

Cheerleaders
maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Champagne Dancers
maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_pxddcyZCKY1ua7w42o3_1280.jpg

Miss South Carolina State
5da7a16599e43.image.jpg

5365bc685e1c9.image.jpg

Kara McCullough, nuclear chemist and former SCSU as well as former Miss USA
kara-mccullough-for-gallery_1494823187622_9463234_ver1.0.jpg

@Rekkapryde @poppastoppa @Woodwerkz @CoryMack @Mindfield333
@invalid @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

Last edited:

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
:wow:

My Beloved. Deep family history here. Sadly, for the most part, it seems the school has suffered from poor leadership for probably a couple decades now. But alot of that comes from the state trying to take the school over and make it USC- Orangeburg and fully integrate it. So it's been underfunded about as bad as any state college has, and Jim Clyburn hasn't helped. But it seems we're making a comeback. Enrollment is slowly climbing and from what I understand this president is pretty good.

Still, I can't help but be a little envious seeing what Claflin has been able to do in comparison, because it wasn't much when I was in school.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
241px-SC_State_Univ_Logo.svg.png

We last covered Wiley College which received an average score of 7.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we head back to Orangeburg, SC where we previously covered Claflin University. Its neighboring HBCU is the public HBCU South Carolina State University. SCSU is the largest HBCU in South Carolina and is a land grant school founded in 1896 as the Colored Normal Industrial Agricultural and Mechanical College of South Carolina. Initially focused on an on-campus high school to train educators, the trades, and agriculture, it became a more liberal arts institution after World War II.

SCSU was originally an agricultural and mechanical part of Claflin until it was spun out in 1896. At the time, South Carolina's leaders believed youth, both Black and White, only need vocational and not liberal arts education so at the time of SCSU's founding, it was strictly for this purpose. The White South Carolina College saw its liberal arts focus slashed as well by the new reactionary state leadership. SCSU finally started to form a liberal arts core in the 1920s and changed its name to South Carolina State College in 1954 and finally SCSU in 1992. It has a couple of unique programs including astrophysics, with a partial focus on astrobiology, and speech pathology.

SCSU was the site of the infamous Orangeburg Massacre in 1968 when state police unleashed gunfire on students protesting a segregated bowling alley killing 3 and wounding 27.

Founded: 1896

City, State: Orangeburg, SC

Type: 4-Year Public

Nickname: Bulldogs / Lady Bulldogs

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 2,374 (2,074 undergraduate), 97% Black

Part-time student percentage: 12%

First Generation Student Percentage: 42%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 70% / 2%

Out of State Percentage: 14% (Top States: Georgia, North Carolina, Washington D.C.)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 15:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 88%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 14% / 30%

Transfer out rate: 30%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 45% male/ 55% female (1.2:1 ratio)

Tuition: In-state: $11k, Out-of-state: $22k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $24k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $16k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $37k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Marketing: $44k, Criminal Justice: $41k, Social Work: $38k, Education: $36k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Biology, Family & Consumer Sciences, Criminal Justice, Psychology, Physical Education, Education, Speech Pathology

Endowment: ~$12M

Alumni Engagement: 11% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: MEAC (NCAA Div I)

Mascot: Bulldogs

202px-South_Carolina_State_Bulldogs_logo.svg.png

Notable Alumni:
Kandice Tanner - Biophysicist and cancer researcher
159px-Kandice_Tanner.jpg

James Clyburn - US Congressmen, former majority whip, savior of 2020 Biden campaign
171px-Jim_Clyburn_official_portrait_116th_Congress.jpg

Armstrong Williams - prominent radio personality and political commentator
Armstrong_Williams.jpg

Main Campus

218733_hero.jpg

SC_State_Engineering_and_Computer_Science_Complex.jpg

62fd7d8023326.image.jpg

SHM Memorial Center
1200px-SCSU.JPG

Marching 101 Band
Picture2.jpg

EGVXQ3FWZVACJN7RZM3IBQYUUY.jpg

Cheerleaders
maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Champagne Dancers
maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_pxddcyZCKY1ua7w42o3_1280.jpg

Miss South Carolina State
5da7a16599e43.image.jpg

5365bc685e1c9.image.jpg

Kara McCullough, nuclear chemist and former SCSU as well as former Miss USA
kara-mccullough-for-gallery_1494823187622_9463234_ver1.0.jpg

@Rekkapryde @poppastoppa @Woodwerkz @CoryMack @Mindfield333
@invalid @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

You should list Coach Jeffries as one of the notable alumni. First Black head football coach at the D1 level, and the only coach to coach against the late Eddie Robinson and Bear Bryant.

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
Finally my alma mater. I would troll and give it a 10, but honestly its a 5. As others have said, Claflin is now the premier HBCU in South Carolina and its a shame. Our enrollment also says 2374 and it was 4500+ when i was there. Other HBCU's have leveled up and we just regressing. We need some new blood and a major cash infusion

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Don’t know much about SC State. I know there are a few coli brehs that attended there. Campus looks good from the pics.

I know they used to give us hell in football while I was in school at A&T, and some years after. Hopefully, overall, they’re on the up and up. I root for the HBCUs in all the Carolinas.

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
I had to deduct points for Jim Clyburn & Armstrong Williams. :scust: :mjpls:

Met both of them worthless nikkas in person, met Clyburn in undergrad, and he was in our box for the Jackson State vs Sc State Celebration Bowl in the Ga dome like 2 years ago. He got covid there and it almost took his old ass out. He got a really negative vibe to him, never liked him. And Armstrong Williams turned out to be a DL brotha c00n. We dont claim them. We claim Deacon Jones and Harry Carson :ufdup:

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Wait, Deacon Jones and Harry Carson? How many other players have y'all sent to the league, and the HoF?
Big Zeus (Orlando Brown) RIP - Browns and Ravens

Robert Porche - Detroit Lions

Charlie Brown - Washington Redskins

Donnie Shell (HOF) Steelers

Kenny Bynum - Chargers

Raleigh Roundtree - Chargers

Marion Motley - Browns

Javon Hargrave - Steelers

Marvin Marshall - TB Bucs

Freddie Solomon - Eagles

Barney Bussey - Bengals

Barney Chavous - Broncos

Cobie Durant - Rams

Anthony Cook - Oilers/Titans

Chatrick Darby - SB win with the Bucs, played in a SB with the Seahawks

shyt man I could keep going from the past right up till today. I believe we still have the most players on NFL rosters currently. we puts em in the League.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Big Zeus (Orlando Brown) RIP - Browns and Ravens

Robert Porche - Detroit Lions

Charlie Brown - Washington Redskins

Donnie Shell (HOF) Steelers

Kenny Bynum - Chargers

Raleigh Roundtree - Chargers

Marion Motley - Browns

Javon Hargrave - Steelers

Marvin Marshall - TB Bucs

Freddie Solomon - Eagles

Barney Bussey - Bengals

Barney Chavous - Broncos

Cobie Durant - Rams

Anthony Cook - Oilers/Titans

Chatrick Darby - SB win with the Bucs, played in a SB with the Seahawks

shyt man I could keep going from the past right up till today. I believe we still have the most players on NFL rosters currently. we puts em in the League.
Thanks, that's a great list, spanning a lot of years.

Carson was the heart of those Giants teams. His disciplined play and leadership is what allowed LT to read-react and wreck havoc. Carson is also the man who popularized the gatorade shower on coaches. Was happy when he made the HoF.
508839b08ab89.image.jpg

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
So many of my family went there. Ask anybody that attended state or just spent time in the area about Eddie moe and just watch their eyes light up. He recently passed but my dad told me stories about Eddie when he went there in the 70s, that’s how long he was around :mjcry:
5497a40b32c4b.image.jpg

Last edited:

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
Met both of them worthless nikkas in person, met Clyburn in undergrad, and he was in our box for the Jackson State vs Sc State Celebration Bowl in the Ga dome like 2 years ago. He got covid there and it almost took his old ass out. He got a really negative vibe to him, never liked him. And Armstrong Williams turned out to be a DL brotha c00n. We dont claim them. We claim Deacon Jones and Harry Carson :ufdup:
You need to be smacked in your goddamn mouth disrespecting Clyburn like that
slap-discipline.gif

AceMan

Superstar
Daps
Finally my alma mater. I would troll and give it a 10, but honestly it’s a 5. As others have said, Claflin is now the premier HBCU in South Carolina and it’s a shame. Our enrollment also says 2374 and it was 4500+ when i was there. Other HBCU's have leveled up and we just regressing. We need some new blood and a major cash infusion
My exact sentiments :francis:

*RIP to Eddie Moe!

S/O to those that got a chance to go to Dazzle