Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 2 28.6%

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
fisk-univ-logo-seal-1866png-5f79e50a650ff538.png
320px-Fisk-University-Logo-2048-1536.gif

We last covered Coahoma Community College which received an average score of 6.

See the updated leaderboard here

When one speaks of the most historically elite schools of the HBCUs, Fisk University is at the top of the list. It has much less notoriety than many other HBCUS: it has a small enrollment, it has no superlative sports or band program, and it is not part of the major Division I schools. However, Fisk has always punched above its weight in its alumni's accomplishments. Up to recent years, Fisk was responsible for producing more Blacks that received doctorates in the sciences than any other school (HBCU or PWI). Fisk, being a choice school of the elites of the past, also has stunning alumni such as W.E.B. DuBois, Ida B. Wells, John Hope Franklin, and Nikki Giovanni.

Fisk has started right after the Civil War by the American Missionary Association to educate ex-slaves. Gen. Clinton B. Fisk of the Freedman's Bureau helped the AMA obtain an abandoned Federal barracks in Nashville to use as school houses and the university was thus named after him. Later the AMA purchased the land at Fort Gillem which is Fisk's current location.

Fisk had a rough start financially and logistically from the start. In an effort to save the school, students and faculty formed the Jubilee Singers who toured the nation and later the world singing Negro spirituals. They eventually had an audience with Queen Victoria of England among others. They helped popularize Negro spirituals throughout the country, though White audiences first rejected them since they expected Black performers only fit for shuck-and-jive minstrel show type performances. With the school saved, it grew and became a key school educating many of the Blacks that would go on to get professional degrees and form the nascent professional and intellectual class of Black America. It continues to innovate with firsts such as recently launching the first HBCU gymnastics team and having NBA great Kenny Anderson as the coach of mens' basketball.

Founded: 1866

City, State: Nashville, TN

Type: 4-year, Private not-for-profit

Nickname: Bulldogs

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 942 (914 undergraduate), 97% Black

Part-time student percentage: 4%

First Generation Student Percentage: 27%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 48% / 10%

Out of State Percentage: 63%, (Top States: Illinois, Georgia, California, Alabama, Texas, Michigan, Florida)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 15:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 71%

4-Yr / 6-Yr Graduation rates: 51% / 56%

Transfer out rate: N/A

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 33% male/ 67% female (2:1 ratio)

Tuition: $24k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $27k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $30k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $42k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation: N/A

Top Majors by Degrees:
Biology, Business Administration, Psychology, Political Science

Endowment: ~$20M

Alumni Engagement: 30% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: Gulf Coast Atlantic Conference (NAIA)

Mascot: Bulldogs

rs=w:1200,h:1200

Main Campus:

maxresdefault.jpg

DJI_0031-HDR-Edit-edited-Pixlr-1024x590.jpg

Jubilee Hall
TN_Nashville_FiskUniversity_SueChoi_2018_06_Sig.jpg

Athletics
2018_19_fisk_men_basketball.jpg

2019_20_fisk_women_basketball.jpg

First HBCU gymnastics team
3cd8e5a6-Image-from-iOS-3.jpg

Fisk Jubilee Singers
FJS-3.21_22-Ensemble.jpg

Singing before Queen Victoria
singers_timeline_canonical-resize-1200x0-50.jpg

Music City Sound Band
unnamed.jpg

Cheerleaders
unnamed-1-e1644015344365.jpg

Miss Fisk University

06cb275d0d93389982e48c4229db364e--fisk-university.jpg

@invalid @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Notable Alumni:

See also here

W.E.B. DuBois - Need I say anything? top three premier Black American intellectual
167px-W.E.B._Du_Bois_by_James_E._Purdy%2C_1907_%28cropped%29.jpg

Ida B. Wells - crusading journalist and activist against lynchings
168px-Mary_Garrity_-_Ida_B._Wells-Barnett_-_Google_Art_Project_-_restoration_crop.jpg

John Hope Franklin - survivor of the Tulsa massacre and one of the most respected historians of Black America
franklin_john_hope.jpg

Nikki Giovanni - groundbreaking poet
Giovanni-1973.jpg

Hazel O'Leary - former US Secretary of Energy
Hazel_O%27Leary_2.jpg

Marion Barry - former longtime DC mayor
191px-Crop_of_Marion_Barry_Vincent_Gray.jpg

Hettie Simmons Love - first Black American to get a MBA from Wharton
LoveGrad-scaled-e1626128964950-199x300.jpg

Dr. Johnetta B. Cole - anthropologist and former president of Spelman
Dr._Johnnetta_B._Cole_-_President_Emerita_of_Spelman_College_%26_Bennett_College_for_Women.jpg

David Levering Lewis - two time Pulitzer prize winner
David-levering-lewis2-sm.jpg

Matthew Knowles - father of Beyonce Knowles and former manager of Destiny's Child
Mathew-Knowles-Describes-Beyonce-Kids-Personalities.jpg

Elmer Imes - quantum physicist and second Black American to get a PhD in physics
Dr.%20Elmer%20Imes%20and%20Spectroscopy_Picture.jpg

St. Elmo Brady - first Black American to get a PhD in chemistry
Brady_stelmo.jpg

Alfred O. Coffin - first Black American to get a PhD in zoology
158px-Alfred_Oscar_Coffin.jpg

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Fisk gets high marks from me.
Fisk alums were very influential in the solidifying of Alcorn state after Revels retired.
Several of our early and largely successful Presidents came from there.
Not to mention their contributions to the nation. Thank you Fisk. :obama:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I'm surprised Fisk endowment isn't larger. It's still really good considering student to dollar ratio which is what really matters. But Fisk is pretty active and well connected for a small HBCU, they should have more money. :jbhmm:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
I'm surprised Fisk endowment isn't larger. It's still really good considering student to dollar ratio which is what really matters. But Fisk is pretty active and well connected for a small HBCU, they should have more money. :jbhmm:

There actually was some surprise that Fisk, nor any other Nashville HBCU, got MacKenzie Scott money. Endowment is small but giving is high. Hopefully they can find a way to raise visibility and fundraiser some more.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Admin. issues and shenanigans would pop up when alum or outside philanthropist was researching where to make a contribution.

Just looked up old threads, and they regained accreditation in 2020 (were on probation for a few years). In 2023, they would still be in the process of righting the ship.

Last edited:

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
They have the prestige, just aren’t up there when the money comes down, from celebrities or things of that nature, and aren’t mentioned in name dropping scenarios, but they still as expensive as the big dogs, (rightfully so) i remember looking at them and saying i feel you Fisk but nah you too spensive

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great profile.
Did not know that the FJS were on the seal of the school. It still has comparable completion rates to the other colleges considered in the same grouping. So, despite the recent issues, they are still serving their mission.
Notable alumni list is beyond stellar. A bit unique in that in addition to being accomplished, they played pivotal roles in the histories of other HBCUs. Dubois at Wilberforce, and (modern day) Clark Atlanta, Cole at Spelman, Franklin at Howard.

Last edited:

Suge Shot Me

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Off topic, but @DrBanneker, in your research, have you found which HBCU has the highest average SAT/ACT scores for incoming freshman? I recall years ago reading that it was Spelman, I think.