Rate this HBCU: the former HBCUs

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
No ratings on this thread. I decided to go ahead and make it since I am going to combine 4 nominal HBCUs that I won't cover separately since they have barely any Black attendance now. However, due to their history, they are still designated as "HBCUs". They all share at least one of two common factors: either they are located in areas where Black demographics have shifted heavily towards smaller numbers in the past 50 years (West Virginia and San Antonio) or they are open enrollment (all but the West Virginia ones). All of them are community colleges except the two located in West Virginia. While most other HBCUs don't see such stark demographic shifts (though Lincoln University of Missouri is only 50% Black now), it is interesting to just list these schools and talk about where they have been and where they are now.

West Virginia State University - Institute, WV
Founded 1891
3,600 students, 9.2% Black
West_Virginia_State_University_seal.png

Originally founded as the West Virginia Colored Institute, it was first a high school, then a vocational school, and finally a college. It was actually the first HBCU to offer an aviation program which was authorized back in 1939. Its end actually came with the GI Bill when White West Virginia veterans came back and enrolled in mass becoming the majority in the early 1950s.
Img_344_copy_web.aspx

State-Stride.aspx

Bluefield State University - Bluefield, WV

Founded 1895
1,200 students. 9.6% Black
BluefieldStateCollege.jpg

Originally the Bluefied Colored Institute, it was a relatively solid HBCU for Blacks in West Virginia until after Brown v. Board when the administration, along with state pressure, began integration efforts to attract White students. This caused a lot of friction with the Black community and alumni. Perhaps the Wikipedia entry states it best:

During the late 1960s, black students protested that the state was transforming the school from a traditional black college to a white commuter college. One of the allegations made was that black faculty and staff were being fired and replaced by less qualified white personnel. On November 21, 1968, the racial tensions culminated in the bombing of the gymnasium. A $5,000 reward was offered by Governor Hulett C. Smith. Ironically, the administration responded by immediately closing the dormitories, which housed a significant percentage of the college's out-of-state black student population, hastening the transition to a predominantly white college.

BSCAerial5%20-%20Copy.jpg

Grad%20Banner.jpg

Saint Philip's College- San Antonio, TX
Founded 1898
13,000 students, 9.7% Black
StPhilipCollege.jpg

Originally started as a school to train Black female seamstresses it evolved into a 2-year community college. As the Hispanic population in the region increased due to immigration, its open enrollment policy led to its population becoming predominantly Hispanic and is now about 50% Hispanic, 30% White, and 10% Black. It is also designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution by the Department of Education.

about-visit-617x347.jpg

Gadsden State Community College- Gadsden, AL

Founded 1960
4,000 students, 17% Black
GSCC_primary.png

Founded in 1960 as Gadsden Vocational Trade School, a private trade school for Black students, it grew into a public community college. Like St. Philip's, its open enrollment policy led to the population primarily becoming White as enrollment expanded.
cdn_FdKwlYKfxtPvoi63SPpgAcCFT_0VEnd8.jpg

dual-777x437.jpg

Shelton State Community College

Tuscaloosa, AL
4,000 students, 35% Black

SSCC-primary.svg

This was the other HBCU besides Stillman College. It was originally the vocational twin to Stillman, the Tuscaloosa Trade School. Established by the state, it was always public but following desegregation, and also following an open enrollment policy, became majority White over time.

147b06dd-ac06-4c16-99d1-c07225abf15f-medium16x9_170404sheltonstate.jpg

@Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @Smokee Robinson @MostReal @Tee @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @Karume @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @TheKongoEmpire @Son_Of_God @Theolodius_Black @mson @xoxodede @Anerdyblackguy @EndDomination @ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The two schools in West Virginia are interesting.

Back before the civil war that part of Virginia broke up from the rest of VA because they opposed slavery. Obviously the black population in WV has dramatically decreased & WV is probably a red state now so those schools losing black students were bound to happen.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
@DrBanneker bruh you doing the lords work, as long as i lived here i did not know Shelton State started as a black vocational school, wow, i always wondered about the hbcu’s in West Virginia, i imagine they are less and less of an option, because the population is dwindling, i knew a chick from there, she went to Marshall, i was tripping when she told me it was a bunch of black folks living there (she was from Huntington)

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
@DrBanneker bruh you doing the lords work, as long as i lived here i did not know Shelton State started as a black vocational school, wow, i always wondered about the hbcu’s in West Virginia, i imagine they are less and less of an option, because the population is dwindling, i knew a chick from there, she went to Marshall, i was tripping when she told me it was a bunch of black folks living there (she was from Huntington)

WV has been losing Blacks for a while. Folks forget Booker T. was from there and the population was once larger. WV cities are small so a lot of Blacks are in the big cities of Charleston and Huntington but I think Beckley is the Blackest by population but that town is only like 20k people.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Originally started as a school to train Black female seamstresses it evolved into a 2-year community college. As the Hispanic population in the region increased due to immigration, its open enrollment policy led to its population becoming predominantly Hispanic and is now about 50% Hispanic, 30% White, and 10% Black. It is also designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution by the Department of Education.
How so very interesting… :mjpls:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@DrBanneker
Great series and great spin for this one-off.
The profiles you have for each school give very detailed information about them.
Eye opening stuff. Especially the % of the students who are Black. Was something that I'd read about here and there but never really thought about.