Rate This Singer - Female Edition - Day 3 - Aaliyah

How Would You Rate Aaliyahs Vocals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Day 2 of the Rate This Singer series was another hit with Coli voting Rihanna fairly average with a 5.2/10 rating. I also agree with this rating. Here is the thread in case you missed out.

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/rate-this-singer-female-edition-day-2-rihanna.717521/#post-34124628

Lets get day 3.

The Process:

1. Vote on the listed singer from 1* - 10* on how good you think the listed singer is.
1* being :camby: (Absolutely Terrible) - 5* being :ehh: (Decent) - and 10* being:ohlawd: (Vocal Mastery)

2. The following things should be taken into account : Vocal quality, Vocal control, Vocal technique, Song Flexibility (ability to do different types of genres i.e pop, rnb, jazz, rap etc.), Live singing vs CD singing. Album/Mixtape quality. Longevity. Musicianship (Can they play instruments) Classic songs/hits. Entire body of work. Do they stand the test of time?
I don't recommend it but if you want to you can take looks, sexuality, into account, go head. If there are any other metrics you choose to use to vote, do you.

3. Votes will be displayed publicly.

4. Voting poll will last for 24 hours and then close.

5. Singers will be chosen randomly. PM me if you have suggestions you'd like to see.

6. Videos will be posted to showcase the singers abilities.

7. Some pictures will be added.

8. Votes will be tallied up and the average of the votes will result in the final score.

9. Drop that dap and 5 star thread rating

Lets get this shyt :takedat:

Day 3. Aaliyah
Final Rating 6.3/10

images

41UwD1Be9-L.jpg

She has been credited for helping redefine contemporary R&B, pop and hip hop earning her the nicknames the "Princess of R&B" and "Queen of Urban Pop". Billboard lists her as the tenth most successful female R&B artist of the past 25 years, and the 27th most successful in history. Her smooth ans sultry vocals and style helped define a generation for nearly a decade inspiring acts such as Brany, Destinys Child & Christina Aguilera. Her sudden death left a void that would never be replaced in music.

Years Active : 1994 - 2001

3 Total Albums:
Age Ain't Nothing But a Number
Singles: Back & Forth, At Your Best, Age Ain't Nothing But a Number, Down With The Clique, Thing I Like
*Back & Forth peaked at #1 on Billboard*
*At Your Best peaked at #6 on Billboard*

Age Ain't Nothing But a Number Certs:
L6KoAtu.jpg

One In A Million:
Singles: If Your Girl Only Knew, Got To Give It Up, One in A Million, 4 Page Letter, Hot like Fire, The One I Gave My Heart To
*One in a Million peaked at #1 on Billiboard*

One in a Million Certs:
o3oanMV.jpg

Aaliyah
Singles: We Need a Resolution, More Than a Woman, Rock The Boat
*No top 5 hits*

Aaliyah Certs:
6Oxonfx.jpg

Aaliyah Career Accolades:
XDgXhFw.jpg

Studio Voice:

Live Voice:

Acapella:

Last edited:

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Aaliyah, in my opinion was an above average singer. Like Lauryn, she has a very heavy and full voice. She is very capable of some minor vocal acrobatics. "At Your Best" is a very good showcase of her sweet tone. We get her sultry voice and falsetto, her great timing and pacing of her notes. No rushing. Caressing the syllables and pulling the entire song in a nice sweet style; never pushing or overdoing it.

Whereas on a song like "The One I Gave My Heart To" we can hear her struggle just a bit in my opinion trying to power through some sections IMO. She is not a singer singer and I believed she knew that. Much like Rihanna, she kills her singles like 4 Page Letter and Rock The Boat by simply using her mellow smooth tone and that falsetto. I would say she played it safe but if thats her strength then :yeshrug:

She was very incapable of power singing

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Needs voice training. Much better range than I thought she was capable of.
A lot of her songs are at the lower registries which didn't translate to her showcasing vocals live.
She actually sounds better with no music b/c she lacks vocal strength and breath control but not a bad singer.

Normani is very similar. Good range and sweet tone but not a lot of control at higher ranges and not quite a belter.

I gave her a 5.

Last edited:

2CT

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My Own 🌍
one of the reasons why Aaliyah's death was such a tragedy is because she died right when she was about to level up and become a better singer :to:

look at how much all her contemporaries (Bey, Brandy, Monica) have improved since 2001, Aaliyah was working on her technique and improving as well cause some of her best vocal performances were on her last album

all that being said i'ma go with a 7 for pretty good , if she got the chance to live and improve her abilities she could've been very good or even elite

Archangel

Banned
Daps
I honestly can say Beyonce wouldn't have catapulted as high as she did if Aaliyah had lived. Bey still woulda been a star but she wouldn't have had the game in a chokehold if Aaliyah was there. Ashanti prolly wouldn't have popped as hard as she did either cause the music game was craving for an Aaliyah replacement and Ashanti filled that void.