Rate This Singer - Female Edition - Day 5 - H.E.R

How Would You Rate H.E.R's Vocals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archangel

Banned
Daps
Day 4 of RTS was political indeed, word to @Hannibal Fox. Controversial icon Beyonce was rated a 7.3/10. Very shocked at that rating as I had her in 8-9 range. Never the less, the Coli hath spoken.
Here's the thread:
https://www.thecoli.com/threads/rate-this-singer-female-edition-day-4-beyonce.718264/

Rankings so far look like this:
1. Lauryn Hill - 7.6
2. Beyonce - 7.3
3. Aaliyah - 6.3
4. Rihanna - 5.2

Lets get Day 5

The Process:

1. Vote on the listed singer from 1* - 10* on how good you think the listed singer is.
1* being :camby: (Absolutely Terrible) - 5* being :ehh: (Decent) - and 10* being:ohlawd: (Vocal Mastery)

2. The following things should be taken into account : Vocal quality, Vocal control, Vocal technique, Song Flexibility (ability to do different types of genres i.e pop, rnb, jazz, rap etc.), Live singing vs CD singing. Album/Mixtape quality. Longevity. Musicianship (Can they play instruments) Classic songs/hits. Entire body of work. Do they stand the test of time?
I don't recommend it but if you want to you can take looks, sexuality, into account, go head. If there are any other metrics you choose to use to vote, do you.

3. Votes will be displayed publicly.

4. Voting poll will last for 24 hours and then close.

5. Singers will be chosen randomly. PM me if you have suggestions you'd like to see.

6. Videos will be posted to showcase the singers abilities.

7. Some pictures will be added.

8. Votes will be tallied up and the average of the votes will result in the final score.

9. Drop that dap and 5 star thread rating

Another Banger is upon us:wow:

Day 5. H.E.R
FINAL RATING 7.2/10

her.jpg

Still fairly new, H.E.R has sprung onto the music scene with her smooth vocals and songs and has taken the industry by storm. She's wow'ed audiences around the world and has already taken home a Grammy without even having an official album out. Reminiscent of Lauryn Hill, H.E.R has proven she's here to last and has restored that feeling of sensual R&B and impactful music with relevant messages.

Years Active: 2014- Present

Compilation Album
H.E.R
Singles: Pigment, Focus, 2
*It won the Album/Mixtape of the Year at the 2018 SoulTrain Awards. The album won Best R&B Album, as well as Best R&B Performance for the song "Best Part" with Daniel Caesar at the 61st Grammy Awards and also received a nomination for Album of the Year*

Studio Voice:

Live Voice :whoo:

Last edited:

Archangel

Banned
Daps
She's almost a carbon copy of Lauryn Hill. I love this chick man. She plays keys, bass and lead guitar. Super talented. She's an awesome vocalist. Same voice type as Lauryn, that sweet alto, quick vibrato and gorgeous tone. She oozes soul. Her voice so raw.

My critique is this. She suffers from doing too much vocally. Almost every performance I hear her enter into a run and get stuck on a sour note out of key. This is a stigma attached to gospel singers the most; learning when enough is enough. She's a HEAVY throat singer. I don't think I've ever heard her belt one note from her diaphragm. You can get away with it but you're more likely to crack while singing and I've heard her do that while singing live. Actually, I've watched about 3 of her performances where her voiced cracked from singing incorrectly. She often holds her head up high when singing and that can constrict proper air flow to support your voice. I do this too when I sing sometimes. It's habitual among most singers, especially if raised in the church. She doesn't have the power or range and she often likes to stay at that comfortable mid range voice but she can hit some high notes and I get nervous when she does cause I always think shes gonna crack cause she never sings from her stomach!

Overall though, I gave her an 8*. Her music is leaps and bounds better than anyone else right now that I can think of. She's consistently putting out masterful pieces of music: Fate, Hard Place, Focus, The Lord is Coming, Avenue, Best Part. She's a student of the game. I've yet to hear a bad song from her. Shes one of them "woke" sisters like Lauryn and her music reflects that. Currently my fav artist right now but I swear I'm not being biased.