Real Everyday Solutions: Crime & Safety

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
@Barnett114 @Rarely-Wrong Liggins this is the companion thread to the Economics thread. We can sticky for a week or two and see where it goes.

Welcome to the real everyday solutions thread for Crime & Safety. This is for discussion of specific, everyday solutions that we as a people can take to improve our safety and reduce crime in the community. Both my native ATL and the Philly area where I live had horrible surges in crime this past year, mostly affecting us Black men.

The point of this thread is not philosophizing or arguing about "real causes", external factors, Black people's shortcomings, etc. but to discuss real things people can do to improve our situation.

Priority is given to actions that take less than 1 hour per week or $50 per month. This should be in reach of most Black people, especially those on this site.

The following posts are discouraged and risk being negged:

1. Ignoring the problem BS - I lived in the 80s and 90s and while I still think those times were objectively "worse" there are still too many young Black men with potential dying in these streets. There are also too many people, including Coli members, becoming victims. I am not saying we should beat ourselves up as Black people but ignoring or deflecting it will not make it better. Just deal with this as a problem to be solved, not ignored.

2. Respectability Politics BS. These threads always get populated by a group of posters repeating the same tired lines:

"There is a discussion we need to have but I'll get negged for it"

"We Black people need to take responsibility."

"What about Black on Black crime"

"We need to shame people out of bad behaviors"

This is basically the flip side of the coin of ignoring the problem. Ultimately fruitless and says more about the poster's views on life than the nature of the problems.

It's not just I've been hearing the same stuff for 30+ years, with all talk and no tangible actions, but Black folks have been having these so called "difficult conversations" for over a century and usually it only results in recommendations that Black people beat themselves up, cosign racist talking points, or act like appearing sanctimonious is going to make others see the 'good' Blacks differently than the rest of us.

3. Broad and general actions that have little likelihood of tangible outcome.

For example, a bad comment would be "Black people need to snitch more" Ok......

A good question/comment would be: "Is anybody here involved in Neighborhood Watch? Is it effective?" or "A good mentoring program for young at-risk Black males is X. Here is how you can get involved."

4. Not a police reform thread We all have our feelings about the police actions in many of our communities. I have been on the bad end of these before so I agree on reform though of course real policing is necessary. Police reform in a broad and political sense isn't part of this discussion. It is part of the problem, but is for another thread.

5. Not a 'nikka bashing' thread This isn't the place to run your mouth about so-called "animals", "thugs", "low-lifes" or indulge your pseudo-eugenic fantasies. This is about how real regular Black men can help their communities in a manner that is personally sustainable for most people.

The top dapped solutions will be quoted in this first post

------

The only thing I will add is I have mentored a young Black male from a crackhead family for over a decade through Big Brothers and Big Sisters and though it hasn't always been smooth, he is finally almost at his GED at 19. Not perfect but he isn't in the streets either. Next hopefully is trade school though I am wracking my brains on how to teach him to build wealth, not just work a 9-5 for his whole life.

------
TOP REPLIES

I think one of the keys is finding out what someone is good at and then harnessing that strength. Like you always hear he never got in trouble he just played basketball or football. That should be expanded to if he likes computers or playing the piano and can that young breh have the tools to succeed. An idle mind is the devils playground .

The one thing you need to do is reach those at most risk, teens/kids hanging out in the street, etc.

I’d say come to where the youth hang out (basketball court, corner store, etc) at dressed in suits (just hear me out, dress very professionally, carry the bare minimum). This will make you stand out from the crowd and draw people to you in general.

I know you might think that it’s a dumb idea and would open you up to be clowned. But it gives you an image and the allure of respect. People look at and recognize a well dressed black man wherever he is. Sure they’ll try to roast you at first, but as long as you’re firm, make your presence known that you’re there to support them, they’ll eventually come around even if it takes months. Even though it might make you a target in the worst case, you’re not carrying anything on you so there’s nothing to lose.

But make it a weekly thing. Spend the 50$ and order some pamphlets that educate them on their place in the world as black men. Or anything that is worthwhile reading that isn’t like 99.9% of the bullshyt that’s pumped into their heads. Include outreach centers, clubs, different scholarship opportunities, etc on it. Hand it to them personally, keep handing it to them.

Take some time out, pass the pamphlets around, and try and talk with some of them. It’s gonna be hard at first and they’re most likely not gonna fukk with it.

But keep at it, stay consistent, and eventually they’ll come around. Some will actually read what’s in the pamphlet and learn something. They might come ask you questions, advice, or see if there’s anything you can do to help them out with their situation.

Edit: Another thing to potentially add on would be numbers of friends/people you know that would open their lines up to anyone who needs a black male mentor to talk to. Make it a resource for anyone who’s going through something.

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I think one of the keys is finding out what someone is good at and then harnessing that strength. Like you always hear he never got in trouble he just played basketball or football. That should be expanded to if he likes computers or playing the piano and can that young breh have the tools to succeed. An idle mind is the devils playground .

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Don’t like the part about not including police reform considering it’s a huge part and the very basis of systemic racism in this country. State power is manifested through violence.

But support the rest nonetheless. I’ve mentored some brehs too, gotta share that knowledge. Props

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
The one thing you need to do is reach those at most risk, teens/kids hanging out in the street, etc.

I’d say come to where the youth hang out (basketball court, corner store, etc) at dressed in suits (just hear me out, dress very professionally, carry the bare minimum). This will make you stand out from the crowd and draw people to you in general.

I know you might think that it’s a dumb idea and would open you up to be clowned. But it gives you an image and the allure of respect. People look at and recognize a well dressed black man wherever he is. Sure they’ll try to roast you at first, but as long as you’re firm, make your presence known that you’re there to support them, they’ll eventually come around even if it takes months. Even though it might make you a target in the worst case, you’re not carrying anything on you so there’s nothing to lose.

But make it a weekly thing. Spend the 50$ and order some pamphlets that educate them on their place in the world as black men. Or anything that is worthwhile reading that isn’t like 99.9% of the bullshyt that’s pumped into their heads. Include outreach centers, clubs, different scholarship opportunities, etc on it. Hand it to them personally, keep handing it to them.

Take some time out, pass the pamphlets around, and try and talk with some of them. It’s gonna be hard at first and they’re most likely not gonna fukk with it.

But keep at it, stay consistent, and eventually they’ll come around. Some will actually read what’s in the pamphlet and learn something. They might come ask you questions, advice, or see if there’s anything you can do to help them out with their situation.

Edit: Another thing to potentially add on would be numbers of friends/people you know that would open their lines up to anyone who needs a black male mentor to talk to. Make it a resource for anyone who’s going through something.

NoCones

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I got 2 nephews who show an extreme disinterest in school. 1 of which watched fixing a minor problem on my car and was into it right off the bat. So I took him to my cousin around the block who works on engines of all types. This was when he was 9 or 10. He's 12 now and I pay him to fix my lawnmower or 4 wheeler as an incentive to keep it up.
He actually started a side business buying airpods wholesale and flipping them. I was proud as hell.
But that nikka is horrible with his spending :mjlol:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I got 2 nephews who show an extreme disinterest in school. 1 of which watched fixing a minor problem on my car and was into it right off the bat. So I took him to my cousin around the block who works on engines of all types. This was when he was 9 or 10. He's 12 now and I pay him to fix my lawnmower or 4 wheeler as an incentive to keep it up.
He actually started a side business buying airpods wholesale and flipping them. I was proud as hell.
But that nikka is horrible with his spending :mjlol:

Looks like being a mechanic would be a great career for him.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
The first few posts in here are longer versions of the only advice I can offer here:

Give a fucc.

Act like you can give a damn about what’s going on around you.
And (PLEASE) teach your kids to give a fucc.

I’ll stop there so this doesn’t become one of the posts OP doesn’t want it to be. Lol

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
This may seem like a small thing, but it's really not.

1) Use front porch and back door lights, AND motion detecting floodlights in blind or unlit spots around your premises. There are inexpensive battery or even solar powered lights that attach to places that cannot be wired for electricity. Encourage neighbors on your block to do the same thing.
Lights are a big deterrent.

2) Regularly cruise your area and check for streetlights that are out. It's something that very few people notice, but thieves pick up on it as an opening. Take picture of the pole number, and report it to the utility company right away. Stay on their ass if it's not repaired within a few days.

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
Columbus where I’m from has gotten worse over the years broke 173 homicides. As far as communities being safe speak to your neighbors I usually talk to my older neighbors because they re home all day and see shyt I wouldn’t see cause I’m at work. Lights are a big thing around your neighborhood even your home.

I know we aren’t talking about police reform but if you see one in your neighborhood wave him em down and speak to them get to know them cause they are in your community lots of times it’s the same cop or cops that patrol your area

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
I don't think this can be solved for most people at "under an hour and 50 bucks a week" :francis:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Don’t like the part about not including police reform considering it’s a huge part and the very basis of systemic racism in this country. State power is manifested through violence.

But support the rest nonetheless. I’ve mentored some brehs too, gotta share that knowledge. Props

You are right, but that is another topic for another thread that needs its own focus. I want people to also focus on what to change in their daily lives. For sure, we need to keep up the pressure for police reform.