REAL Unemployment in the U.S. is Just Under 30% for Ages 15-65 - And The So Called Upside.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Just saw this quote on B.I. as an article comment sourced from Bureau of Labor Statistics:

"The BLS says that about 146 million people in the US have some kind of paid job. 204 million people are between the ages of 15 and 65 -- the so-called "working age" group. 146 million divided by 204 million equals 0.715 and 1.00 minus 0.715 equals 0.284 times 100 equals 28.4%. Therefore, 28.4% of Americans who are of working age, for one reason or another, do not have a paid job. Therefore, the 5% unemployment figure that the Fed uses to determine its policy going forward is pure fantasy."

This can also be seen here: The Working-Age Population in the U.S. Has Increased by 8 Million in Seven Years… But There Are Half a Million Fewer People Working

And let's control specifically for young black men and women:
DOL Special Reports - The African-American Labor Force in the Recovery
2.jpg

I think about 10-20 points need to be added to the above figures. It is safe to assume that young Black Men under 25 are unemployed probably at a rate of 40% easily.

Now, let's take a look at the so called "skills gap" and mythical lack of IT workers that are sorely needed shown here: Analysis: What's behind the White House's claim of 545,000 unfilled IT jobs

When looking at the millions of under/unemployed Youth, is even 5 million tech jobs enough for White millennials let alone minorities? Is diversity in tech a pipe dream, when most tech firms located in SoCal where there are 2 million Blacks, at least 75% of which currently would not qualify for such jobs (compared to 45% of Whites who wouldn't qualify at a much larger population number)? They'd have to actively reject White candidates en masse which will likely trigger political issues in the State - As if there aren't enough racial issues as it is already in the area currently and historically. This approach has triggered backlash in the South already where the number of impoverished Whites in rural areas demanded that more job opportunities be brought to them vs. inner city Blacks with more staggering unemployment numbers proportionally, but a lower absolute population number.

The reality is there are simply not enough jobs providing a living wage even when factoring in the skills gap. And many small tech employers will never choose a Jermaine over a Bob even if both finish code academy and earn the same accolades. More young Black males need to think entrepreneurial and think abroad as well.

There is no other option, considering you can't tell poor Women (regardless of color) to get more abortions if they can't afford private school or to give their child a leg up. And you can't tell them to stop having raw sex with Men that underachieve. So it's up to us as Young Men to fend for ourselves and carve our own path.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Stopped reading after the bolded because its stupid. There are plenty of situations where someone of working age might not have a job. A high school student fits in that range and just might not be looking for a job. Pretty sure that's not how real unemployment is determined.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Stopped reading after the bolded because its stupid. There are plenty of situations where someone of working age might not have a job. A high school student fits in that range and just might not be looking for a job. Pretty sure that's not how real unemployment is determined.

It represents a growing problem where youth are barely working at all from 15-25.

Granted that would be OK if retirement began at age 75 and everyone lived until 100 years old almost guaranteed....

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
It represents a growing problem where youth are barely working at all from 15-25.

Granted that would be OK if retirement began at age 75 and everyone lived until 100 years old almost guaranteed....

Does it? Personally, I'd rather be in a position where my child could focus on school and didn't need to work part time or whatever.

In my view children not working is generally a positive. To me that indicates their parents are sufficiently taking care of them financially, and teens don't feel the urge or are pressured into getting work.

At 22-23+, then yeah I could see your point but, still...how does it show a problem?

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Does it? Personally, I'd rather be in a position where my child could focus on school and didn't need to work part time or whatever.

In my view children not working is generally a positive. To me that indicates their parents are sufficiently taking care of them financially, and teens don't feel the urge or are pressured into getting work.

At 22-23+, then yeah I could see your point but, still...how does it show a problem?

The biggest problem with your logic is you assume employers want to hire fresh college grads with no work experience.

These days there is no such thing as a true corporate level white collar "entry level" job.

For the sake of your child's happiness - It's better they get the grunt work experience out of the way while younger than to be doing free intern labor to get a foot in the door at the age of 23-25.

Misanthrope

None of the above '16
Daps
15-65?

That group and number includes everyone in High School, College and all of the disabled in America.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
15-65?

That group and number includes everyone in High School, College and all of the disabled in America.

These days you can't afford to go to school and not work full-time. The days of going to school full-time and having a little part-time job (or not even working at all) being realistic is over.

These kids have got to start preparing now. I told my cousin she needs to start learning a trade at her age she is 16 and needs to find something profitable to get into that has a good 25 year outlook.

Daps
The biggest problem with your logic is you assume employers want to hire fresh college grads with no work experience.

These days there is no such thing as a true corporate level white collar "entry level" job.

For the sake of your child's happiness - It's better they get the grunt work experience out of the way while younger than to be doing free intern labor to get a foot in the door at the age of 23-25.

Here's the thing, regardless of what you think is best, that's usually not the reality.

For example, my parents didn't want me to work during high school because they wanted me to focus on school. Especially considering I was in a crap load of extracurricular activities (sports, speech and debate, marching band, honor society) that took up most of my time.

Then when I got to college my parents didn't want me to work during the school year for the same reasons, so I didn't and they gave me some spending money every month. And when I was short on money I went and donated plasma, lol.

I had one job and one internship from high school to college. The rest of the time I wasn't really looking for one.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Here's the thing, regardless of what you think is best, that's usually not the reality.

For example, my parents didn't want me to work during high school because they wanted me to focus on school. Especially considering I was in a crap load of extracurricular activities (sports, speech and debate, marching band, honor society) that took up most of my time.

Then when I got to college my parents didn't want me to work during the school year for the same reasons, so I didn't and they gave me some spending money every month. And when I was short on money I went and donated plasma, lol.

I had one job and one internship from high school to college. The rest of the time I wasn't really looking for one.

OK and no offense but where are you now in your career and how successful are you?

At the end of the day this new generation coming up now is facing different challenges than you or I have. I wouldn't recommend too many extra curriculars unless they were surrounding some sort of entrepreneurship.

Physical activity is important, and so are hobbies. But don't do speech and debate club unless that is a viable skill you think will help you going into your targeted career field. Don't do marching band unless you're going into Music. Don't do Chess club unless you find it's helping you think more critically - If you're already a strategic thinker you need to spend your time strengthening a weakness you may have.

Above all else kids need to realize after the age of 16 you can't be a kid anymore. This is why I don't want to have any. They have to compete and start working towards being self-sustaining financially. This means they have to forget about the books especially - We all know these days college and studies is barely half the battle. Even for STEM majors many have reported being 4.0 GPA Cum Laude didn't help them in their career. So this is why many employers ask for GitHub projects and for developers to show what they do on the side to understand how they think and approach projects. Everyone has a different way of doing things but many people align and are on the same page. Many employers want to build a team of like minded engineers. How can you display you are a good fit if you don't have any examples of what you've built?

Civil Engineers should be getting a job on a construction site. They should be observing what is really happening in the field and what the challenges are. They then should be brainstorming ways at a young age how to face these infrastructural challenges. Employers in 2016 and beyond they don't want to train ANYONE. So these kids have to be ready to work right out of college. Nothing in your curriculum will prepare you on how to keep a job moving when for some stroke of bad luck or other bizarre reason all your fork lift operators fell ill on the same day. For a teen who has observed that particular problem before he'll know - Oh, they have a network of fork lift operators available on call from _____ agency. You'll have to pay a premium but it will outweigh the penalties on delivering the project late and having delays.

This mindset that a lot of black folk have and Americans in general is naive. They think they can protect their kids forever and their kids deserve the best. It's entitlement mentality. And we need to get rid of it and realize the only way that can be true is if you own a successful company, guarantee your child a job and role at said company and you own 100% of it. AND the child would have to WANT to follow in your exact footsteps and most don't want to because individuality is stressed in this culture. So for the majority of Americans it is not beneficial to coddle children and somehow make believe that them not beginning a hustle early is realistic for them. Most kids already know from age 13 just in looking at the world today that they're gonna be behind the 8-ball if they don't start now - Even if their parents are in straight up denial.