Redman: The Greatest Rapper of All-Time - Hip-Hop DX

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
No one? Beg to differ. Everyone in this thread alone at least has him as a contender.

What'd you think holds him back?

the exact reason the chillaxing brother said: lack of visceral, reflective, everyday 'mature' songs. Biggie has a "Suicidal Thoughts". Nas has TONS of visceral, reflective tracks. Jay-Z's got "People Talkin" or "D'Evils". Redman was more of a character than a person, and goat contenders are 'people' when it comes down to it.

Speak for yourself and the arab nikka who put you onto rap mad late, goofy

Spit ducktales because you're angry and most likely a fraud, brehs :mjlol:

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
Definitely a more respectable choice than some of you sheep who parrot whatever The Source told you *cough* Jay Z *cough* Nas *cough*

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
the exact reason the chillaxing brother said: lack of visceral, reflective, everyday 'mature' songs. Biggie has a "Suicidal Thoughts". Nas has TONS of visceral, reflective tracks. Jay-Z's got "People Talkin" or "D'Evils". Redman was more of a character than a person, and goat contenders are 'people' when it comes down to it.

I mean I can see that argument but I disagree with his valuation of Redman as a character. I don't think his eccentric nature or charisma is to be confused with an alter ego. This is his character. He isn't here to rap about the serious stuff tho he showed that when he attempted it e.g. So Ruff or What U Lookin 4 (hugely relevant song given today's racial climate), he pulled it off expertly without compromising on his style.

Also idk if you do acknowledge this but if Redman does have 2 certified classics and possibly 3, doesn't that put him up for contendership alone?

SirBiatch

Daps
I mean I can see that argument but I disagree with his valuation of Redman as a character. I don't think his eccentric nature or charisma is to be confused with an alter ego. This is his character. He isn't here to rap about the serious stuff tho he showed that when he attempted it e.g. So Ruff or What U Lookin 4 (hugely relevant song given today's racial climate), he pulled it off expertly without compromising on his style.

I totally agree. Hip hop needs its comedians and funseekers. I'm the Lil B fan, remember? Most of you fake-bigging up Redman can't stand Lil B despite both of them being humor-based rappers, and I'm looking at y'all like :what:

With that said, hip hop at its core is defiant shyt, and the music comes with a certain emotional weight. Redman was never like that (and that's a beautiful thing), but it does limit how seriously people can take him.

Also idk if you do acknowledge this but if Redman does have 2 certified classics and possibly 3, doesn't that put him up for contendership alone?[/QUOTE]

a) I don't care about stats. This is music, not basketball

b) I also don't care for over-inflated stats. Redman has one arguable classic, and that's Muddy Waters. Saying Redman has 2 certified classics and possibly 3 when Nas only got one is laughable.

I definitely think people should give Redman more props. He is a legendary rapper. Arguably in the 10-20 range. But I'm not putting him in that top 10 bracket.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i mean i give red his props he's a hall of famer and for the sake of conversation he deserves his props as a goat

not in my top five (nas em jay big face)

RAW_SPK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
N.I.N.
you're a faceless keyboard fanatic scared to show yourself. Cac please :mjlol: I'm as real as they come.

Ive posted my shyt plenty of times...far from a cac. You dufus, you make slave movies with cacs. U the worse type of nikka. With ya no dental plan having ass. Your facade been got exposed, and the only thing worse than the exposal was ya hairline.

You're literally ONE vowel away from being named TUSHY...you been ass since you was conceived.

Go finish your slave movie and dont speak on hip hop legends, c*nt

SirBiatch

Daps
Ive posted my shyt plenty of times...far from a cac. You dufus, you make slave movies with cacs. U the worse type of nikka. With ya no dental plan having ass. Your facade been got exposed, and the only thing worse than the exposal was ya hairline.

You're literally ONE vowel away from being named TUSHY...you been ass since you was conceived.

Go finish your slave movie and dont speak on hip hop legends, c*nt

stop rambling. You're a nobody obsessed with a somebody. I can't entertain convos with bots. But keep following me though :umad:

RAW_SPK

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
N.I.N.
You're only somebody ON THE COLI cuz you got exposed for being a herb

Look at your face...
23dcc890e5fa817aaa98f67189b92f5b.png

How dare you, nikka

stop rambling. You're a nobody obsessed with a somebody. I can't entertain convos with bots. But keep following me though :umad:

keon

imma hitta by myself
Supporter
Daps
Redman lacks the impact that the few who are considered goats have..

Red colaborating with meth is what really got him his most notoriety..he doesn't have any stand out solo tracks either..made a few good, but not great albums thou

SirBiatch

Daps
Redman lacks the impact that the few who are considered goats have..

Red colaborating with meth is what really got him his most notoriety..he doesn't have any stand out solo tracks either..made a few good, but not great albums thou

That's an interesting point. My first reaction was :damn: "You're going too far", but now that I think about it, what Redman track makes your typical hip hop playlist?

For example, Method Man has "Bring The Pain". It's not my all-time favorite Method Man song but most hip hop casuals know that song and it's one of the best in Mef's catalogue (it's important to note this. Just because your track is known by casuals doesn't mean it's worth talking about).

What's Redman's track? "I'll Bee Dat?" Time 4 Some Aksion? Pick It Up? All great tracks, but not really genre-defining.

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
I totally agree. Hip hop needs its comedians and funseekers. I'm the Lil B fan, remember? Most of you fake-bigging up Redman can't stand Lil B despite both of them being humor-based rappers, and I'm looking at y'all like :what:

With that said, hip hop at its core is defiant shyt, and the music comes with a certain emotional weight. Redman was never like that (and that's a beautiful thing), but it does limit how seriously people can take him.

Also idk if you do acknowledge this but if Redman does have 2 certified classics and possibly 3, doesn't that put him up for contendership alone?

a) I don't care about stats. This is music, not basketball

b) I also don't care for over-inflated stats. Redman has one arguable classic, and that's Muddy Waters. Saying Redman has 2 certified classics and possibly 3 when Nas only got one is laughable.

I definitely think people should give Redman more props. He is a legendary rapper. Arguably in the 10-20 range. But I'm not putting him in that top 10 bracket.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make sense about Lil B. Even if they had very similar styles, one rapper could be dope to people and others not so much. Redman is a million times better than Lil B.

Redman has 2 classics. Whut is as certified as any. Innovative production and rapping. Got 4.5 mics in the source. Introduced a lot of new concepts song wise. Went gold. Seems a pretty good recipe. Redman won artist of the year from that album. Muddy Waters goes without saying. As for Nas, most people accept he has 2 classics.

Anyway I can accept your argument so long as you don't condemn others for having him there. Because that one and only criticism only matters to you and a few others.