Remember when Arcades were scary?

RenAi!

Half RenAi, Half Amazin'.
Daps
Reppin
TOKYO, Taitou-Ku.
Someone should post this thread on the front page.:wow:

We were lucky enough to have one half-decent arcade/in the hood I lived at, originally an abandoned house converted to a shack that sold bootleg vhs tapes and assorted snacks. the spot was a haven for entry level dboys and young hooligans. There were kids in my fourth grade class already slangin nicks saying 'man, don't hang out at that place:merchant:'

But the calling to street fighter 2 was too strong!:mjcry: I had some minor altercations there, but nothing crazy. The owner of the place would occasionally tell me I that if I were around being a smart ass a year prior, it would be a different story. He never went into detail though:dwillhuh:

Word got to my teacher that I was going to that arcade every single day until nightfall (I was too broke to even play, just watched the dboys play lol). She confronted me about it but I shrugged it off, and as soon as I walked through the door at home, my mom WENT OFF.

My teacher called her and elaborated on the crazy shyt that used to happen there, including one incident where a scorned ho came through the arcade and assaulted her ex with a hatchet.:damn:

I knew about that one, but had I told my mom I knew she'd never let me go there again. I was only ten and SF2 was the only thing that helped me escape from the realities of the surrounding environment.

Yo, being an 80's baby sounds wild as hell :laff:

When I was growing up, arcades were really light hearted and filled with mostly kids. You had the grungy haired guys that stayed dominating Tekken 2 & Soul Blade and they took those games very seriously but other than that, you could play everything without too much hassle.

:dead:

Growing up in the Queens NY/Manhattan arcades ... there were rules to this shyt especially from 1990 to 96.

Rule #1

1) Never play the last arcade cabinet in the corner , where there isn't an exit.
2) never come to the arcade with more than 3 dollars Or anything bigger than a single dollar bill.
3) keep the change jingling sound to a minimum.

4) if by some chance you were somewhere like Far Rockaway or in Brooklyn/Bronx way out of the way without your people's ... make sure if shyt pops off you know your way around the area.
5) White boys carried the most money , you could basically eat off thier quaters.
6) Sometimes you gotta let the grimey hood nikkas win , especially when his people's crowd around you and you keep taking his quaters.

Number 6 is the worst, them older dudes used to fake pump elbow swings at me on some 'I wish you would try to win round 3' shyt, older dudes following me home at night for a few blocks talking shyt in the instances that I won......the day SF2 came out for the SNES was a blessing.