Report: Canceled Fable Legends Cost $75 Million, Fable 4 Concept Inspired By Jules Verne

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
As we continue to mourn the loss of Fable developer Lionhead Studios, new information has emerged on the developer’s long history and tragic fall. An extensive eulogy written byEurogamer’s Wesley Yin-Poole reveals the struggles and triumphs of Peter Molyneux’s Guildford studio.

The extensive story, which includes anecdotes from named and anonymous sources reveals two pieces of what might have been for the Fable franchise. With Microsoft pushing the studio toward Kinect and free-to-play, fans are still waiting for a proper numbered sequel.

According to Eurogamer’s discussion with former Lionhead art director John McCormack, a pitch for an Unreal Engine 4-powered Fable 4 would have taken players to a steampunk neo-Victorian setting. The game’s main town, Bowerstone, would have been modeled after London, complete with Jack the Ripper and Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde characters. According to McCormack, the pitch was declined as Microsoft shifted Lionhead toward a service model.

The result was Fable Legends, the now-canceled free-to-play, four-vs-one game set in Albion’s past. According to Eurogamer’s sources, before cancellation the game had rung up expenses totaling approximately $75 million. This is exceedingly high for a free-to-play game, as that model requires nimble, reactive decisions that take into account player adoption, attrition, and growth commensurate with user buy-in.

The entire story is absolutely worth reading. You can do so over at Eurogamer.

With more of this information surfacing, the question remains: what is Microsoft going to do with the franchise? We learned yesterday that the company refused to sell it along with the studio. Hopefully, when the time is right, we'll be able to return to Albion.

Report: Canceled Fable Legends Cost $75 Million, Fable 4 Concept Inspired By Jules Verne

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Best part

"They were going, you can't have a black person on the cover, and you can't have a woman. And you want a black woman. And I was like, yes, I do, because it's about be whatever hero you want. No. It's a white guy. That's just the way it is. We know what sells and that's fukking it. Stop the arguing. I was like, fukk you! That was a huge fight.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out. I was like fukk you, man. I hated it."

:mjpls:

This the company you stan for huh @MeachTheMonster @Hiphoplives4eva @PS4

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Best part

"They were going, you can't have a black person on the cover, and you can't have a woman. And you want a black woman. And I was like, yes, I do, because it's about be whatever hero you want. No. It's a white guy. That's just the way it is. We know what sells and that's fukking it. Stop the arguing. I was like, fukk you! That was a huge fight.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out. I was like fukk you, man. I hated it."

Don't know how true this is, but they had a black man headline their biggest game on X1 yet.

So........:manny:

It's funny you take this angle to mention me while stanning a Japanese company. We all know how they feel about black folks and Americans in general.

Has sony EVER put a black person in a prominent roll in one of their games?:mjpls:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Best part

aTDZYpj_zpsba8mkehq.gif

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Best part

So I assume you feel the galant folks at Sony love black people?

Newsflash: They don't.

Most white prople are racist. When you finally realize that, stuff like this won't shock you anymore.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So I assume you feel the galant folks at Sony love black people?

Newsflash: They don't.

Most white prople are racist. When you finally realize that, stuff like this won't shock you anymore.
Are you kidding me?? Nobody at Sony is racist.
playstation_4-2563640.jpg

That's the face of a "I fukks with everybody hehe"

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Now we know which series not to support.

Assassin Creed did a good thing when they made AS Freedom Cry

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Don't know how true this is, but they had a black man headline their biggest game on X1 yet.

It's funny you take this angle to mention me while stanning a Japanese company. We all know how they feel about black folks and Americans in general.

Has sony EVER put a black person in a prominent roll in one of their games?:mjpls:
Are you referring to halo 5? Which is the lowest selling halo by a wide margin?

Guess microsoft knows it's fan base :mjpls:

Oh and starhawks lead Character was a black man

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Starhawk.jpg