RIP: Jessye Norman, one of the greatest African American singers of all time, has died.

invalid

Banned
Daps
And the saddest part, many of us had never heard of her.

jessye-norman.jpg

Jessye Norman, the majestic American soprano who brought a sumptuous, shimmering voice to a broad range of roles at the Metropolitan Opera and houses around the world, died on Monday in New York. She was 74.

In a review of a 1992 recital, Edward Rothstein of The New York Times likened her voice to a “grand mansion of sound.”

“It defines an extraordinary space,” he wrote. “It has enormous dimensions, reaching backward and upward. It opens onto unexpected vistas. It contains sunlit rooms, narrow passageways, cavernous halls. Ms. Norman is the regal mistress of this domain, with a physical presence suited to her vocal expanse.”

As an African-American, she credited other great black singers with paving the way for her, naming Marian Anderson, Dorothy Maynor and Leontyne Price, among others, in a 1983 interview with The Times.

“They have made it possible for me to say, ‘I will sing French opera,’” she said “or, ‘I will sing German opera,’ instead of being told, ‘You will sing “Porgy and Bess.” ’ Look, it’s unrealistic to pretend that racial prejudice doesn’t exist. It does! It’s one thing to have a set of laws, and quite another to change the hearts and minds of men. That takes longer. I do not consider my blackness a problem. I think it looks rather nice.”

Jessye Norman, Regal American Soprano, Is Dead at 74

My great aunt was an international opera singer who trained Marian Anderson and Leontyne Price so Jessye Norman and her contemporary, Kathleen Battle, who are considered to be the successors of Anderson and Price, have always been staples growing up, at church or at home.

Because she was an opera singer, unfortunately many black people may never have heard of her. But hopefully many would discover her music and how great of a singer she was.

Along with Kathleen Battle, Norman was an OG diva that made Aretha Franklin look like an amateur. In fact, Aretha Franklin loved and admired Norman and before she died made an attempt to look for the next generation of black opera singers that would be Norman’s successor.

NPR Choice page

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Squash, Opera, Finance you a straight bougie negro