rollerskating used to be a big part of 80's and 90's hip hop....then it just stopped

seanDON

Pro
Daps
When I was a lil kid, Twin City here in Newark use to be the sh*t before we started fukking with Branch Brook and 22 heavy. N*ggas from Dayston St projects use to terrorize Twin City tho. When I was in my teens, the rink in Bergenfield use to be off the chain. All the dope dealers from Jersey, NYC use to to meet up there every saturday night.

Yup...The Rink(Bergenfield)....Saturday nights was THE shyt!!! The parking lot across the street from it was the LIT city..and so was the 7-11 further down Teaneck road :wow:

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
I hope shyt works out

It'll be a good way of keeping these kids off the streets but it's already lookin ugly. The Yards and Mexicans already hittin up their sets on the building walls..

shyt is corny to me how people come looking for trouble instead of a good time.. but it's LA :manny:

Still love my city

I thought the original reason it got shut down was because of repeated gang violence?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I think it was really big in the disco era. I remember my mom and her boyfriend had custom skates and shyt

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Anyone who had access to skates in the late 80's tried this atleast once.

tumblr_n30phdNMFh1scd4jmo1_400.gif

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I went to skate Depot back in the day when they had a retro 80's throwback party. It was a gang of bytches in there. I aspect nothing but fukkery once world wheels opens back up since the new owner said he is aiming for that 13-20 crowd :russ:

Yes sir!

When I was still living on the West, Skate Depot was our rink of choice and it was ALWAYS poppin'.

When I moved out here we had Skateland, and that was ALWAYS poppin', until niccas started going up there
just to fight and they shut it down. Damn shame.

Hell, even down South in the middle of nowhere, Granddad had a skating rink he opened on the weekends
and it was ALWAYS poppin' when I went down to visit, because there wasn't much else to do in town on the weekend.
But he shut it down when he got ill to where he didn't have the time to run it anymore.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
On the low, whenever I think about skating and hip-hop the first thing I think about is Sheek's last
line on "If You Think I'm Jiggy".

Palm Tree's & Blunts

Big timah timah
Daps
I went to skate Depot back in the day when they had a retro 80's throwback party. It was a gang of bytches in there. I aspect nothing but fukkery once world wheels opens back up since the new owner said he is aiming for that 13-20 crowd :russ:

I remember skate depot :mjlol:

2manyFCKNrappers

mentally i measure kilos
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Empire and Skate Key both closed around the same time in NY. Empire was the place to be for years and years and I was there on the last day. I haven't been skating since. It was definitely a big part of the culture especially for the youth which was a pre club thing. You couldn't skate to a lot of the bullshyt you hear now because there's no groove to the music. There was a certain bounce and rhythm the song had to have so you could really flow on your skates. My mom and dad were great skaters and they taught me and my sister too so we all loved to go. Also in Charleston when I was down south Stardust skating rink was dope too. I loved going skating every Friday or Saturday night. It was really a freeing feeling with you gliding on your skates and the music bumping especially if it was your song. Damn it's hard to believe and sad that the youth today won't get to have that.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
:wow: had a couple birthdays at skate depot growing up.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
The music changed. Crunk/Snap changed a lot of things for black culture across the country. There was a divide between rap music and black dance music up until the early 00's. Once they became one in the same, a lot of things in regards to black dance culture changed/stopped/scaled down.

Jerz-2

GOATs Status
Daps
The kids I teach are still heavily into roller skating here in Atlanta.

Cascade, Golden Glade, Hot Wheels....roller skating is still huge in Atlanta.