Russell Wilson tells Essence going to B2B Super Bowls opened doors for Black QBs like Mahomes

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This has everything to do with LoB.
Rex Grossman almost rode an alltime defense to a ring, and Trent Dillfer did.
Russ did what be was asked to do, but the title contention window was based on LoB being the key factor

Doug Williams play in the Superbowl was the key factor in the victory, even though the Skins defense was stout that year and post season.

If you watch footage of the actual SB win, you'll see how much a factor the defense was for Seattle.

The three men I mentioned broke barriers greater than whatever Russ is patting himself on the back for.
Have a hard time believing that people are going for this.
you didn’t attempt to take in his post

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
200.webp

:blessed:
Man what a stupid dog shyt bytch
I hope him a worse season with the steelers :pacspit:

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
I would say it was Cam Newton, but I’ll let Russ cook :yeshrug:

Cam had a 4000 yard passing season as a rookie and won OROY, then the following year when Russ got drafted, RG3 won OROY. Russ did have the playoff success though.

Might even go back to Donovan McNabb being drafted 2nd and all the success he had in the league, which led to Michael Vick being the first black QB taken at #1. I do think we had more black QBs taken in the first round from 2010 to present than we had from 2000 and prior.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
They superrrr shytting on him in the comments sheesh :dead:

Yea he needs calm tf down he seem mad emotional about this topic

Caleb, Kyler, Bryce don’t got top 3 without Russ idc wat nobody say

Nothing worse than nikkaz with blatant agendas trying to deny it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Ya may wanna recheck on who were the starting QB's in the late 2000s-early 2010s.

Those post-Jamarcus seasons were nasty. White QBs was being handed the starting jobs just for existing

While there were other factors, Russ is still correct on this take
I think he's wrong

Franchise decision makers will still hold individual biases, but sports are too competitive to not draft and play the best football players. Which is why, even Alabama football eventually integrated the football team and played the best Black players at every position.
They got the score run up on them by an integrated West Coast team.

The impetus for slowly breaking down "beliefs" about players being suitable for certain positions, was players stepping in, stepping up and delivering. In college big time football conference level and in the pros.
Williams being the key component of the Superbowl champs, Warren Moon signing BIG contract & airing out the football in Houston, and McNair winning league MVP gave Black QBs better shots at getting looks and chances.
Charlie Batch hanging around the league, and continuing to earn backup jobs after his star had faded broke down some barriers too.

Because each guy who plays, and each draft class is different, can't tell when stars will emerge out of the Black QBs drafted each year, but many of the barriers were broken years ago. Russ trying to take credit because Jackson and Mahomes were drafted after his SB runs is funny.

Last edited:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I think he's wrong

Franchise decision makers will still hold individual biases, but sports are too competitive to not draft and play the best football players. Which is why, even Alabama football eventually integrated the football team and played the best Black players at every position.
They got the score run up on them by an integrated West Coast team.

The impetus for slowly breaking down "beliefs" about players being suitable for certain positions, was players stepping in, stepping up and delivering. On college bug time football conference level and in the pros.
Williams being the key component of the Superbowl champs, Warren Moon signing BIG contract & airing out the football in Houston, and McNair winning league MVP gave Black QBs better shots at getting looks and chances.
Charlie Batch hanging around the league, and continuing to earn backup jobs after his star had faded broke down some barriers too.

Because each guy who plays, and each draft class is different, can't tell when stars will emerge out of the Black QBs drafted each year, but many of the barriers were broken years ago. Russ trying to take credit because Jackson and Mahomes were drafted after his SB runs is funny.
I agree with this

One can argue Russ has influenced drafts after his to draft similar type of QBs, but its not a "black QB" type but more of a short guy who can be elusive and extend plays out of structure. And tbh no QB has ever been able to truly emulate Russ in his prime, his elusiveness coupled with short height made him a frustrating player to contain.

Ie, I think Russ was more influential in Johnny Manziel getting drafted as early as he was, than Andy Reid trading up for Mahomes