Samsung Officially Cancels the Galaxy Note 7

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga
Samsung Electronics Co. is ending production of its problematic Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, taking the drastic step of killing off a smartphone that became a major headache for the South Korean electronics maker.

After halting sales of the new versions of the large-screen smartphone that failed to fix exploding batteries, Samsung finally pulled the plug on a key product that was supposed to compete with Apple Inc.’s iPhones and other high-end smartphones during the U.S. holiday shopping season.

Production will stop, Samsung said in a statement Tuesday.

Pressure had been mounting for Suwon-based Samsung to act decisively, after the original and replacement Note 7 were taken off shelves while the company investigated the cause of the latest problems. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission also warned users not to use the Note 7 due to concerns over more incidents of overheating. The Korea Agency for Technology and Standards also asked Samsung to stop selling or exchanging the Note 7 after the regulator confirmed possible defects in the new phones.

Samsung shares fell 8 percent Tuesday, wiping out about $17 billion of market value. The company originally introduced the Note 7 in August and then recalled the initial shipment of 2.5 million phones after a spate of battery fires. It is now investigating incidents with replacement devices that it had thought were safe.
Samsung Ends Production of Note 7 After Global Recall, New Fires

Analysts cited by Reuters came up with the $17 billion dollar figure, based on lost sales of the 19 million Galaxy Note 7 units Samsung had originally expected to sell during the device’s lifetime. The figure is a drastic increase from the $5 billion dollars analysts predicted the original recall would cost the company. Samsung is also facing up to $1.6 trillion Won in disposal costs if 4 million-odd Note 7’s need to be safely disposed of.
Samsung permanently discontinues the Galaxy Note 7, $17 billion in sales lost
:huhldup:

Last edited:

humble forever

All Star
Daps
If there's a flat version I might buy but other than that I gotta pass. I ain't into those edge phones.
the edge s6 is a beautiful phone though. made me leave the iphone. with the new android updates the battery life is good and i really like it. probably wont switch back now

only reason I may not buy another edge is i cracked my screen and its like $250-3 to fix it. so im dealing with some little cracks. cant really see them
have gotten compliments on the phone and people don't blame me for not getting my screen replaced (the almost never notice but i mention it)

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga

AENYkcG.gif