Serious Question: Should Black Americans seek reparations from the United Kingdom and other European countries, too?

Should Black Americans seek reparations from the United Kingdom and other European countries?

• Total voters

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Many if not the majority of the African slaves were brought here during the British colonial period. It was the UK that set up the slavery system and the United States simply inherited that. Much of the US were also under French, Spanish, and Dutch rule at one point and all three powers imported slaves. Should Black Americans seek reparations in some form from Europe

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
Yep.... The English and the French also enslaved FBA.

Alot of FBA in the south have French names and have connections to Haiti.

The French controlled large territory in North America.

Dutch & Spanish too.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So...If James robs an apple store and steals an iphone12
  • then James goes to a Pawn shop and sells that iPhone12,
  • then the pawnshop resells the iPhone12 again to Karen
  • Karen then resells it to Reggie on craigslist,

who is liable for the iPhone theft? In most courts, typically the first(james) and last person(Reggie) are liable for the crime, with the last person typically just returning the item. However, a wise lawyer would prioritize suing the party that can actually afford to pay back the highest amount of restitution, the pawn shop.

The transatlantic slave trade is effectively this scenario on a larger scale, and personally i think id take the side of the wise lawyer in only pursuing the party most capable of paying back the debt. The US govt.

Everyone is complicit, but i shrewdly argue that the richest person left standing is the most complicit and capabale of doing the most good in paying back losses. I also argue that its a dangerous line of inquiry to split the request up because i can already see US politicians playing dumb and shifting the blame elsewhere to detract from themselves.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
So...If James robs an apple store and steals an iphone12
  • then James goes to a Pawn shop and sells that iPhone12,
  • then the pawnshop resells the iPhone12 again to Karen
  • Karen then resells it to Reggie on craigslist,

who is liable for the iPhone theft? In most courts, typically the first(james) and last person(Reggie) are liable for the crime, with the last person typically just returning the item. However, a wise lawyer would prioritize suing the party that can actually afford to pay back the highest amount of restitution, the pawn shop.

The transatlantic slave trade is effectively this scenario on a larger scale, and personally i think id take the side of the wise lawyer in only pursuing the party most capable of paying back the debt. The US govt.

Everyone is complicit, but i shrewdly argue that the richest person left standing is the most complicit and capabale of doing the most good in paying back losses. I also argue that its a dangerous line of inquiry to split the request up because i can already see US politicians playing dumb and shifting the blame elsewhere to detract from themselves.
Good point. Plus, it's already hard to imagine the US doling out reparations much less Europe who still doesn't even really acknowledge the destruction they did to their colonies in the rest of the world.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
You cant make a case of that magnitude as one group, you wont win in court..slavery and colonialism affected all Black people so the issue has to be looked at holistically not from the lense of Black Americans only. Jamaicans, Haitians etc and Black South Americans were equally affected. One individual cannot sue the UK govt alone because their actions affected everybody. But go ahead

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
You cant make a case of that magnitude as one group, you wont win in court..slavery and colonialism affected all Black people so the issue has to be looked at holistically not from the lense of Black Americans only. Jamaicans, Haitians etc and Black South Americans were equally affected. One individual cannot sue the UK govt alone because their actions affected everybody. But go ahead

None of us are getting reparations.

We just talking shyt.

:dead:

Who Not How

Superstar
Daps
How about ADOS gets reparations from 1 country before expanding the movement? It’s like cats see how hard it is to just get the US to pay what is owed so now they about to muddy the waters and start throwing more stuff in the mix to cause confusion and burnout. That’s how I view people trying to add other Black people in the mix like they don’t got their own countries to go after first.

Focus on 1 thing at a time until it’s accomplished then move to the next problem.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Tweets from Dr. Darity Economist, leading expert on Reparations for descendants of American Slaves, author of American Slavery reparations book 'From Here To Eternity'.

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
OP feel free to click on the tweet below to see the tweet thread regarding the question and a tweet also from NAARC a Reparations commission that has considered and I believe failed at international slavery reparations.

Last edited: