SNES soundchip appreciation

Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's something about that digitized instrumentation that just put SNES music on another level. When you listen to other consoles from back in the day, all of their songs had the same soundfont.

It was dope how so many classic SNES games had their own distinct "sound" even though they were running on the same hardware.

Props to Sony for blessing us with that GOAT SNES soundchip :blessed:
Nintendo screwed up for going back on their deal with Sony, but I digress :mjcry:

Peep the heat...

:wow:

Last edited:

Yade

BigJohnsons lol
Daps
Idk if anyone felt the same way but when I was a toddler I was use to be afraid of the Sega Genesis sounds/music

Some of the songs would sound creepy especially when Magento would pop up on the intro to X-men for Sega

Change

All Star
Daps
Idk if anyone felt the same way but when I was a toddler I was use to be afraid of the Sega Genesis sounds/music

Some of the songs would sound creepy especially when Magento would pop up on the intro to X-men for Sega

I remember when I got mine it came with Altered Beast. Definitely different them Mario. Sega was scarier. As for the first post, I have no clue about that. How did the Genesis vs SNES sound actually compare?

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps

shyt sounded like the high definition version of these old PC greats with the soundblaster chip sound, which were already scary enough from back in the day. It also didn't help that they had some adult titles that leaned heavily on the scare factor with shyt like this.

While the Super had a superior sound chip, there are far too many Genesis games with bangers that outshone anything created on that system.:salute:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
sega/genesis was better for the more rockish, grimier, or more hardhitting soundtracks...SNES for everything else

like I can't really imagine any of the SoR Games tunes on the SNES...they'd be too orchestrated.
compare

to

or even the sega cd version of FF

SNES version doesn't hit as hard