So why is Embid getting attention as a lead candidate for MVP while pulling a Kawhi?

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Well i'd say Embiid has a history of injury whereas it seems like if you fart near Kawhi he's on the next injury list and that's not counting the usual 1/3 of a season load management absences he take on a yearly basis that are not injury related. So in that sense i could see how Embiid COULD get more consideration than Kawhi. Embiid should still be disqualified if he rests too many games, tho

But honestly i think the NBA should make anyone who misses more than 15% of games (12 games) ineligible for any awards. Like if you miss more than 12 games in an 82 game season you are automatically disqualified. Not necessarily that number but you see what i mean.

In sports in general there has to be some minimum requirements met or things that will bar you from competing from certain awards. Remember when someone was leading the NFL in defensive player of the year votes while being suspended for 4 games for PED in the same season. Jason Taylor who was 3rd in votes at the time raised the issue and said that should disqualify them. I cant remember which player it was that was suspended. Edit: It was Shawne Merriman who was in the league leaders for DPOY votes while serving 4 games for PED

Last edited:

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Considering the pace of this season, load management is just common sense

Yes, but will every MVP candidate be judged the same because of it? Or will someone like Jokic who's at 20 GP compared to 16 for Embid get a boost for bucking the trend?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Embiid has an active injury that is going be a long term thing (back pain) and he just fell bad last week
Kawhi injury was something less common and there was doubt about the severity to begin with :yeshrug:
also embiid ain't miss that many games yet. if he misses like 25% of the games he won't be considered either. give it time at least

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Cause he's been the most dominant player in the league so far, he's missed 5 out 21 games

Yeah, but from jump, niccas was on Kawhi's neck every time he missed a game and downplaying his stats, etc.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Man i just looked it up. I love his game and how he carries himself but Kawhi is one of the most fragile ass stars ive ever seen and that was even before he started load managing. People used to talk about Wade always being hurt. Here's Kawhi's resume in terms of games played in a 10 season career
  • FACT: Kawhi has only played more than 66 regular season games TWICE in his NBA career.
  • FACT: Kawhi Leonard has never played more than 74 regular season games in a regular season in his NBA career.
  • FACT: Kawhi Leonard averages 58 regular season games played in his NBA career. Granted one season he only played 9 games. You take that one season out and he averages 64 games per season
AND HE'S ONLY 29... and has NEVER averaged more than 34 minutes per game in his career. Can you imagine the amount of rest dude will need at 34 - 36? :laff:
Meanwhile compare that to his peers among the premier SFs or premier players in the league like LeBron James and Kevin Durant. THAT, sir, is pathetic

Last edited:

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
LOL they really have nothing to talk about

It's a shortened season with many squeezed in games, you'd be stupid not to load manage your guys

Daps
Star players rest these days to be as fresh as they can be for the playoffs. That’s how the game has evolved. Talking some games off should be considered, but not disqualifying at all.

That’s not an evolution.

Today’s athletes are suppose to be better?

These guys out there playing against no defense shooting 50 3s a game. No cap. Why they need to load manage for?