"Some Afro-Latinos Wanted Me To 'ACT MORE WHITE'. Imma 'STOP' Colorism." - Amara La Negra

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Quote paraphrased, so it could fit in the title.

What she's basically saying is that some Afro-Latinos wanted her to be more European and sport Beyonce hair-dos rather than let her be herself and pay homage to her ancestors.

Full quote.

TV personality and singer Amara La Negra has always been open when it comes to discussing race and colorism. And, in this behind-the-scenes video for her ESSENCE photo shoot, La Negra explains that one of the reasons she joined Love & Hip Hop: Miami is to show that beauty in the Afro-Latinx community comes in many shades.

“Some Afro-Latinos have the mentality of one of the cast members who said I need to be less Macy Gray and more Beyoncé. That my Afro wasn’t elegant,” La Negra tells ESSENCE. “And it just gives [me] the opportunity to put light on an issue that’s been there for many years. I was also able to see a lot of people discuss the racism and colorism issues in their community as well.”

Amara La Negra Says Joining 'Love & Hip Hop' Was An Opportunity To Talk About Colorism
- Praise be to the 'ancestors' :wow:

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
P.S. no insulting diasporan fam. We all in this shyt together and I'm glad Amara La Negra is getting mainstream shine. My ass needa understand Spanish, so I can vibe to her music. I love me my Afro-Latina mamis :ahh:

SirReginald

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Colorism in some ways is worse than White Supremacy. Even though it's a symptom from it. African is beautiful. Especially, Afros and our culture as a whole.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Yall saying her topic is stale, but she's talking to all those Afro Latina girls that are still overwhelmingly inundated with Latino media that yields towards the European or mestizo aesthetics.q

Of course media is global now, so you can find role models across the spectrum, but she is out here pushing the point that natural hair is beautiful and can be worn anywhere.

Yes. I want to beat the breaks off that :ohlawd:

Last edited: