South Africa's "Rhodes Must Fall" Campaign

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
tear that shyt down.
there are too many reminders of africa's colonial past all over african countries to THIS DAY.
shyt is disgusting.
what disgusts me even more are the people who actually want that shyt to stay and try to make the argument that it should remain because it is part of african history.
fukk off.
Reiterdenkmal.gif

this is called the reiter denkmal. it is a statue of a german soldier in the middle of the capital of namibia windhoek. it apparently honored the fallen german soldiers and civilians that died on the German side of the herero and namaqua of 1904–1907. namibian people did not want this garbage in their city. demonstrations were held and cabinet discussion and that shyt got removed some time in 2013.
good riddance!!!
:camby:

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The statue is a part of Zimbabwean history ...not SA :dame:

Oxford needs to cut their funding and fund Zim students only... fukk these brats :troll:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The statue is a part of Zimbabwean history ...not SA :dame:

Oxford needs to cut their funding and fund Zim students only... fukk these brats :troll:

Rhodes was a very big and insidious part of SA history, one of the fathers of apartheid. The campaign began as a protest against a statue of him in Cape Town, SA.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
tear that shyt down.
there are too many reminders of africa's colonial past all over african countries to THIS DAY.
shyt is disgusting.
what disgusts me even more are the people who actually want that shyt to stay and try to make the argument that it should remain because it is part of african history.
fukk off.
Reiterdenkmal.gif

this is called the reiter denkmal. it is a statue of a german soldier in the middle of the capital of namibia windhoek. it apparently honored the fallen german soldiers and civilians that died on the German side of the herero and namaqua of 1904–1907. namibian people did not want this garbage in their city. demonstrations were held and cabinet discussion and that shyt got removed some time in 2013.
good riddance!!!
:camby:

I don't think having statues of Cecil Rhodes is appropriate in the 'new' South Africa. His advanced racial oppression in the Cape Colony when he was governor.

The Cape Town University statue was finally removed around this time last year due to a university council vote, but Oxford University still keeps a huge statue of him, and didn't budge despite the protests. His image is still all over Africa :scust:.

Cecil Rhodes statue to remain at Oxford after 'overwhelming support'

Statue removal in Cape Town (April 2015):

Goodbye_Cecil_John_Rhodes20_16481463023-700x357.jpg

Last edited:

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rhodes was a very big and insidious part of SA history, one of the fathers of apartheid. The campaign began as a protest against a statue of him in Cape Town, SA.

I was joking...they can protest in SA all they want but why in the U.K ?:why:

That cac is still a born brit isn't he ? It's his native country and part of their history too... :skip:

Why accept his money to study if you are against the university honoring him ?:mjlol:

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was joking...they can protest in SA all they want but why in the U.K ?:why:

That cac is still a born brit isn't he ? It's his native country and part of their history too... :skip:

Why accept his money to study if you are against the university honoring him ?:mjlol:

It's like keeping a Hitler statue in Germany.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
I've been rocking with this movement for a year now. This is 1 of many troubling issues in SA, though, and I'd like to see it expand in scope.