Speaking of Occupy Wallstreet..

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Who says large number of these people haven't been to the career services center several times over ?

Regardless of if they've been or not in the past, going to career services is still a better use of their time than going out into the streets, being bitter over their lack of financial success.

People are not entitled to hand outs from society. When people realize that they ought to act in their self-interest, they'll also realize that these protests are pointless and a waste of time.

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
Regardless of if they've been or not in the past, going to career services is still a better use of their time than going out into the streets, being bitter over their lack of financial success.

People are not entitled to hand outs from society. When people realize that they ought to act in their self-interest, they'll also realize that these protests are pointless and a waste of time.

A lot of the people at OWS aren't looking for handouts though. A lot of them were hard working tax paying citizens that got fukked by a system where the government and big business are in cahoots with each other. And spare me the watch out for your own self interest stuff. It will eventually get to the point where not only will people not be able to find jobs, they won't have the resources available to even solely focus on their own self interest. Where supposed to sit back and watch those that destroyed this country continue to fukk us over ? We've been sold out at every fukking corner even with the food we fukking eat and we're supposed to sit back and allow it ?

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
A lot of the people at OWS aren't looking for handouts though. A lot of them were hard working tax paying citizens that got fukked by a system where the government and big business are in cahoots with each other. And spare me the watch out for your own self interest stuff. It will eventually get to the point where not only will people not be able to find jobs, they won't have the resources available to even solely focus on their own self interest. Where supposed to sit back and watch those that destroyed this country continue to fukk us over ? We've been sold out at every fukking corner even with the food we fukking eat and we're supposed to sit back and allow it ?

Sounds like a gross exaggeration to me. The only people who got fukked over by the "system" committed one (or all) of the following:

1.) Got degrees in something not useful
2.) Had children when they couldn't afford it
3.) Incurred a bunch of risky and unserviceable debt

I'll admit that there are a few who might have been laid off due to unavoidable circumstances, but that's just the way life is. They will have develop skills that are in demand. No reason to protest the wealthy over it.

In the meanwhile, I'll take my place in a big multinational and feast off the misfortune of others :win:. That's all we can really do in life.

Dead End

Rican B*stard
Daps
Reppin
NW Chicago
Nah, you're delusional. The thing is, there is no such thing as full employment and the reason isn't because people "aren't trying hard enough".

In any case, I think people are also fed up with the expectation that you can't attempt to make a living doing something you want and are interested in, but rather have to jump into alienating, soul crushing work, which in the end, contributes nothing to society. Some people are past that. You're not, that's fine. We don't have much to talk about then.

Economics

There is always tradeoffs
Daps
with the amount of people they have they would be better served forming a workers co-op (there is a lot of labor and brainpower there in OWS) and create their own credit union. They should take a cue from an organization like Mondragon Corporation and how they conduct business in many areas and how its worker ran.

The regulations that OWS is clamoring for is a pipe dream because OWS lacks economic power. The banking cartel as with many other the multinationals firms in other industries have significant market power and know how to conduct regulatory capture well. This has been going on well before many OWSers were even born and will continue after they are gone (dead). More of them need to read up on industrial organization and regulatory economics to form better opinions on the matters they feel strongly about.

Dead End

Rican B*stard
Daps
Reppin
NW Chicago
Occupy Atlanta has also been doing a bunch of anti-foreclosure work like is going on up here in Minneapolis. This just came out the other day...smh..the Sherrif's remarks are ridiculous.

Dozens of Police Evict Georgia Family at Gunpoint at 3am
http://www.alternet.org/story/155292/

sm0ke

Lin Kuei
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
i was frustrated with the Occupy Seattle movement, especially when they moved to Seattle Central Community College's campus, where my girls go to school. at that point it was mostly just homeless people, and there were needles and nasty shyt all over. some attempted sexual assaults on girls walking by. eventually they got evicted.

i never saw any leadership aside from people yelling into a megaphone one night. all i gathered was numerous grievances in my limited exposure to Occupy Seattle. never any plans of action.

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
when it comes to occupy i think there were multiple pros and cons that came along with decentralized leadership.

but i think that a strong leadership structure, and more importantly a WISE leadership structure would have been far more effective in achieving the common goal of occupy, which was creating more economic equality and raising the quality of life for all people.

a unified people are always going to be stronger and manifest what they want quicker than a people who are divided.

i dont want to seem like im criticizing the occupy movement because ultimately it was and is a beautiful thing... but im always the type to look for improvement and one way i feel the occupy movement can improve is have more cohesion at the leadership level, which will in turn create more cohesion on the grassroots level, which in turn will generate better results for the mission.

at the minimum, the millions of people who were involved in occupy across the united stated should have made a commitment to get involved in entrepreneurship ventures with the other members of occupy (whether it be investing in a new business, creating a new business, managing a new business, or working for a new business, or any combination thereof). and also make a commitment to purchase the goods and services offered by the other members associated with occupy and with people who are invested in their respective communities.

and maybe even take it a step further and establish an occupy online community (just like sohh or the coli) where occupy members can visit and build with each other online, strategize and share information, plan out next steps, etc

and take it a step further and have an online store kind of like an "Occupy Inc." where occupy entrepreneurs and customers can congregate and buy, sell, and trade their goods.

even if we had produced this basic level of economic cooperation as a result of occupy, the whole movement in my mind would have been 1000x more effective in accomplishing its goals, which again, is create more equality and raise the standard of living for ALL people.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
i got to develop relationships with folks from occupy NY, occupy boston, and occupy oakland... and ironically all scenarios developed along similar lines.

many people in the occupy movement agreed on the problems (greed, banks, exploitation, etc) but not necessarily the solutions.

there were pockets of leadership but no unified leadership so that did not create cohesion.

then you had pockets of racism and classism within the occupy movement itself... blacks would form their own cliques because they felt like they were being segregated from the decision making process. then you would have middle class folks discriminating against the homeless or the extremely poor folks. it was like a little microcosm of society.

it's definitely not over though. the visible enemy has been spotted (the banks, economic sector, etc) by the public, and occupy folks are still networking and involving themselves in community activism in their own ways.
nice...

I still have no idea of what OWS actually did...

Sounds like a gross exaggeration to me. The only people who got fukked over by the "system" committed one (or all) of the following:

1.) Got degrees in something not useful
2.) Had children when they couldn't afford it
3.) Incurred a bunch of risky and unserviceable debt

I'll admit that there are a few who might have been laid off due to unavoidable circumstances, but that's just the way life is. They will have develop skills that are in demand. No reason to protest the wealthy over it.

In the meanwhile, I'll take my place in a big multinational and feast off the misfortune of others :win:. That's all we can really do in life.
gotta c/s this. This is capitalism. I don't agree with it but this is a capitalist society.

If you want to hurt the corporations, boycott them. Create your own industry. Support small business. Honestly you won't see any real change unless there is a complete nationwide joint effort. If working class and middle class people decide to boycott commercially cheaper products they'd be forced to switch up.

Let these politicians get rid of welfare / ebt and see how fast crime spirals out of control.

Guess someone didn't study the French Revolution........

Daps
Reppin
NULL

You lost already, projecting your myopic view onto what the protests are about. You don't agree with it, fine, but you resort to broad, baseless attacks, so you clearly missed the point-either you didn't read or don't want to.

And for people claiming this is capitalism, deal with it, it's ironic considering public money went towards the ever-sure and ever-secure private market. :rudy: We've never had a true capitalist society and one probably would never work, but to just write them off as bitter and broke is unwarranted and childish.