SPIN: Is Cody Rhodes A Top 15 Wrestler In AEW??

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Just a spin-off of my ‘Is Westbrook A Top 15 Player’ thread from the Coliseum. It seems like people are forgetting how Cody has portrayed himself, as there’s some revisionist history going on. If you feel like he ISN’T, name 15 AEW wrestlers you’d rather see on your TV instead of him

:jbhmm::jbhmm::jbhmm:

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
name 15 AEW wrestlers you’d rather see on your TV instead of him

:jbhmm::jbhmm::jbhmm:
  1. Mjf
  2. andrade
  3. Adam cole
  4. Danielson
  5. Ftr 1
  6. Ftr 2
  7. Private party 1
  8. Private party 2
  9. Darby Allin (as corny as he can be, he is at least special)
  10. Jay lethal
  11. Miro
  12. Moxley
  13. Kenny
  14. Pentagon Jr
  15. Pac
  16. Hobbs
  17. Rey fenix
  18. Ricky starks
  19. Sammy
  20. Wardlow
  21. Deeb
  22. Rosa

honorable mention to kyle o’riley, dante, and eddie kingston

Last edited:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked him in AEW from the start, think he did a good job. Thought the match between him and Dustin was great, one of AEW's best matches, I think he'll be missed, they have lots of talent now so they will move on as normal but he was a talent.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I'd much rather see these 15 people before Cody:

Bryan Danielson
Hangman
Kenny Omega
Darby
Punk
Moxley
Andrade
Satan
Pac
Rey Fenix
Pentagon
Dante Martin
Serena Deeb
Thunder Rosa
Shida

If you don't want to include the women wrestlers, then just substitute them for Miro, Wardlow and Powerhouse Hobbs. I could probably keep going :heh:

Last edited:

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
Cody was a big part of AEW's genesis and his his 2019/2020 run was some of the best work of his career.

The Dustin fued, MJF, Jericho were all good.

His TNT open challenge run was dope as well and got Ricky Starks and Eddie Kingston signed.

The Jade/Shaq vs Cody/Velvet match was good as well. He is top 10 in AEW when he's booked to his strengths but at the same time kept in check.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Cody was a big part of AEW's genesis and his his 2019/2020 run was some of the best work of his career.

The Dustin fued, MJF, Jericho were all good.

His TNT open challenge run was dope as well and got Ricky Starks and Eddie Kingston signed.

The Jade/Shaq vs Cody/Velvet match was good as well. He is top 10 in AEW when he's booked to his strengths but at the same time kept in check.

It's unfortunate for Cody, but I think the success of his creation doomed his chances of maintaining a top spot. They were successful enough in their first year and a half that CM Punk came out of a 7 year hiatus where he pretty much said "fukk wrestling" to join them full time. Given their success, if you're TK, you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it to pay Cody top dollar (and Brandi for that matter) or use that money to either sign new talent or extend a couple younger talents. As I've said a few times, on The Coli, Cody segments were being shyt on pretty much since that one promo before the Ogogo match.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I was told on here he’s not a star and his departure is no big deal so :manny:

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
It’s Cody and his character people should have an issue with. He’s a very good wrestler when he isn’t a mark for himself and ignoring what he was taught in the WWE. He can plan spots well and tells a good story in the ring. he just lowers himself with the no selling and doing moves that dont fit him (Cody cutter) which is all stuff he’s thinking will get him over with the indie crowd.

MightyHealthy

said what he said
Daps
Reppin
PUROGANG
It's unfortunate for Cody, but I think the success of his creation doomed his chances of maintaining a top spot. They were successful enough in their first year and a half that CM Punk came out of a 7 year hiatus where he pretty much said "fukk wrestling" to join them full time. Given their success, if you're TK, you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it to pay Cody top dollar (and Brandi for that matter) or use that money to either sign new talent or extend a couple younger talents. As I've said a few times, on The Coli, Cody segments were being shyt on pretty much since that one promo before the Ogogo match.
This.

I wasn't with the "rebook my career in fantasy mode" redux, I didn't even really dig him vs. Dustin, and the Rhodes name was unanimously attached to the worst TV segments in AEW history...

...but he was very solid filler for AEW's infancy, that deserves some respect.

He was never Top 15, though.

Still - he made too many WWE references, overrelied on the the theatrics, and refused to acknowledge when people thought him and his wife were indulgent.

That said, he piggybacked the fukk out of the Elite, and milked their fanbase as much as his blatantly inauthentic ass could. He had no business in NJPW, did Juice Robinson no favors, and I still can't stand he made Omega/Ibushi a triple threat.

mattw1313

Superstar
Daps
punk
mjf
danielson
black
cash
dax
penta
Fenix
LAXx2
quen
Hobbs
lethal
hangman
omega

damn that was easy. I could keep going

Cody's last good match and last compelling promo was against Dustin:manny:
the Nick Aldis stuff was good too, because of the NWA history with his pops. but that's it. AEW shyt been all trash with no self awareness

HYDRO

Old Member
Daps
Reppin
N.W.I.
  1. Mjf
  2. andrade
  3. Adam cole
  4. Danielson
  5. Ftr 1
  6. Ftr 2
  7. Private party 1
  8. Private party 2
  9. Darby Allin (as corny as he can be, he is at least special)
  10. Jay lethal
  11. Miro
  12. Moxley
  13. Kenny
  14. Pentagon Jr
  15. Pac
  16. Hobbs
  17. Rey fenix
  18. Ricky starks
  19. Sammy
  20. Wardlow
  21. Deeb
  22. Rosa
honorable mention to kyle o’riley, dante, and eddie kingston
Nah

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's top 10 overall for sure. TSC acts like they objectively hate him because he;s bad and not because he says Republican sh1t. TSC did the same thing with Randy Orton a few years back when he got lower ratings than Val Venis in that rate a wrestler series, but everyone swore it was because he was boring and not a good wrestler.

Last edited: