Stay Away From That Deer Meat

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Hunters in 24 US states warned of ‘zombie deer’ disease
Deer hunting is a big deal in many U.S. states, and surveys suggest that around 10 million hunters participate in the activity regularly. As any hunter will tell you, nabbing a deer isn’t always the easiest of tasks, but a growing risk of disease is making things even more difficult for sportsmen even after they’ve bagged a buck or doe.

Public health officials and infectious disease researchers are doing their best to raise awareness of an illness that has now been confirmed in deer populations across at least 24 states. It’s called chronic wasting disease, and the Centers for Disease Control fears that it may be possible that the disease could spread to humans who eat infected animals.

If you live in an area where deer hunting is common you’ve no doubt heard of chronic wasting disease (or CWD) before. It’s not a particularly new disease — it was originally discovered in the late 1960s — but confirmed cases of it among wild deer and elk populations have spread to new states rapidly since 2001.

The disease is absolutely devastating to animals that are affected by it. They take on a “zombie-like” state and exhibit odd behavior and physical deteriorating, with exposed ribs and an overall sickly appearance.

CWD affects the brain with misfolded proteins known as prions. Prion diseases exist in humans and are typically fatal, and the same is true for animals with CWD. The disease progresses until the animal dies, and there is no known cure or way to reverse the damage.

The CDC warns against the consumption of (or even physical contact with) an animal thought to be infected with CWD. It is recommended that animals suspected to have CWD be left alone and not harvested. Hunters are advised to have any animals they kill in areas known to have CWD tested for the disease before eating the meat, even if the animal appeared healthy.
:picard:I'm about to become a vegetarian for real

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka

I'm not sure if I believe her because she says it only affects deers and doesn't turn them into "zombies", but then she says she doesn't know if it would affect humans.

I'm in a midwest this tweet sums it up. IF this was some walking dead nightmare there would be millions of people infected. There's so much deer eating and butchering across this country.

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Folks who like their steak drenched in blood need to pay attention to this. No pink.

One has nothing to do with the other.

First of all, turning your steak into leather through overcooking it is not going to kill a prion, which leads to the type of disease they’re talking about here.

Second of all, the red juices in your steak are not blood, it’s myoglobin.

But if you want to continue to eat flavorless tough meat where you need some nasty steak sauce to actually digest it, be my guest. You’re doing nothing to prevent a food-borne illness for yourself or others by believing in and spreading the propaganda though. :francis:

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia

First of all, turning your steak into leather through overcooking it is not going to kill a prion, which leads to the type of disease they’re talking about here.

But if you want to continue to eat flavorless tough meat where you need some nasty steak sauce to actually digest it, be my guest. You’re doing nothing to prevent a food-borne illness for yourself or others by believing in and spreading the propaganda though. :francis:
No disrespect breh but I hate this talking point. If your well done steak is tough, dry, or flavorless then you just don't know how to season or cook meat period.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Folks who like their steak drenched in blood need to pay attention to this. No pink.
So if serving rare steak were so bad how come Ruth Chris, Stk, Fogo De Chao and all these other million dollar steak restaurants that have hundreds of thousands of customers yearly haven’t been sued out of existence?

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

keep thinking that

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So if serving rare steak were so bad how come Ruth Chris, Stk, Fogo De Chao and all these other million dollar steak restaurants that have hundreds of thousands of customers yearly haven’t been sued out of existence?

assume every restaurant u go to know wtf they're doing when they serve u up barely cooked meat.