Street Harassment [TW]

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I've come to discover that men don't take the idea of street harassment seriously and are very dismissive of it altogether. Many men believe that because they're "good guys" and wouldn't do anything to hurt women that the problem of street harassment isn't as big of a deal as women are making it out to be, that women are just looking for yet another excuse to blame men or get attention.

A video of a man inviting himself into a woman's car surfaced on instagram, it's sparking debate across social media about street harassment and some of the commentary from men is nothing short of disgusting.

Here is the perp

I'd like to get feedback from the women here about your experiences with street harassment and unwanted advances from men, please give us some advice on how to prevent this from happening and signs we should look out for to know that you are uncomfortable or simply not interested.

Last edited:

Ashley Banks

All I ever wanted was the world
Daps
I'd like to get feedback from the women here about your experiences with street harassment and unwanted advances from men, please give us some advice on how to prevent this from happening and signs we should look out for to know that you are uncomfortable or simply not interested.

If she looks uninterested or is like :whoa:, then you should leave her alone, if she says she has a boyfriend, even if you don't believe her, leave her alone. If she says she's a lesbian, leave her alone, even if you don't believe her. What you think is "persistence" or "chasing" she thinks is harassment and annoying.

another question, why don't guys know what's creepy and what isn't? Its like they're clueless.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
If she looks uninterested or is like :whoa:, then you should leave her alone, if she says she has a boyfriend, even if you don't believe her, leave her alone. If she says she's a lesbian, leave her alone, even if you don't believe her. What you think is "persistence" or "chasing" she thinks is harassment and annoying.

another question, why don't guys know what's creepy and what isn't? Its like they're clueless.
I think men know what's creepy and what isn't and they just try their luck.

I've had too many experiences with this. It's a serious issue and scary as fukk. But like OP said, men tend to be dismissive about it maybe because they're frustrated about "the other side of the game".

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
" I'd like to get feedback from the women here about your experiences with street harassment and unwanted advances from men, please give us some advice on how to prevent this from happening and signs we should look out for to know that you are uncomfortable or simply not interested."

I live in a major city, so I'll give my experience with street harassment. On a scale of 1 through 10 my experience would be a 2.5. I avoid places that I know idiots hang around, and most of the time men on the street greet me, or compliment me. I don't consider that street harassment. Following me down the street or making sexual comments at me is harassment. That has happened before, but rarely. The type of dudes that do that are bummy males. I would suggest that all females carry pepper spray with them.
If a woman just tells someone to leave her alone or that she does not want to be bothered then leave her alone.

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
if someone jumped in my car like that, I'd pepper spray the shyt out of them
sometimes men don't realize that men and women are different and just because they would enjoy a stranger being so forward and upfront with them doesn't mean a woman would
women are taught to be wary of strangers

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
if someone jumped in my car like that, I'd pepper spray the shyt out of them
sometimes men don't realize that men and women are different and just because they would enjoy a stranger being so forward and upfront with them doesn't mean a woman would
women are taught to be wary of strangers

The video was frightening because she genuinely looked helpless, he was trying to force her to be in the video and she's balling up in HER OWN VEHICLE where she should be safe in complete helplessness.

shyt pissed me off, but what makes it worse is that men were trying to blame her for driving around with her doors unlocked.

:snoop:

Daps
Reppin
flowerpots
The video was frightening because she genuinely looked helpless, he was trying to force her to be in the video and she's balling up in HER OWN VEHICLE where she should be safe in complete helplessness.

shyt pissed me off, but what makes it worse is that men were trying to blame her for driving around with her doors unlocked.

:snoop:
they can't be serious with that, man :mjlol: :snoop:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Persistence is what the downtrodden use, or more practically, the strategy that comes into play when we spot a girl who is more than just "sexy".

As for creepy, I have been called creepy for just approaching straight up, while I and others have seen guys who up with no respect, talking reckless and getting laughs and
attention. It would be different if men didn't have to do most of the approaching, but since we do, for those of us who aren't 6 feet with model looks, we try different things
till we know what works.

Yes, sometimes it comes at women's expense, but this is only usually in response to being turned down a ton. It is a problem that will never be solved because of the disparity
in courtship.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I've been followed, solicited/propositioned/whatever since around highschool. Even before then you have dirty ol men, sittin on the corners watching girls go by.

Really it's boys who need to be taught to respect women. All you have to do is respect boundaries. If she says no, back off. If she doesn't respond, back off.

Some guys think it's a challenge and most guys who catcall are usually drunk, which is even scarier.