STUDY: Celebrity ‘Feminists’ Actually Make People Care LESS About Women’s Rights

Celerii

Picture me rollin', sixes, money foldin'
Daps
Reppin
igboland
source: STUDY: Celebrity ‘Feminists’ Actually Make People Care LESS About Women’s Rights
Celebrities like Lena Dunham and Emma Watson say they’re making the world better by bringing ideas about women’s rights to the masses. In the wake of Donald Trump’s election, high-profile women like Jennifer Lawrence and Beyonce have joined the crusade for female equality—even the decidedly apolitical Taylor Swift says she considers herself a “feminist.”

But while these “celebrity feminists”—or “fauxmanists” as they’re often called— might be making themselves feel important, they actually aren’t helping. In fact, they may actually be hurting the cause of global women’s rights, according to a new study.

The research, conducted by celebrity branding expert Jeetender Sehdev over the course of two years, seems to show that while being a celebrity is super on-trend, especially for women who walk red carpets or tell jokes on stage, only 20% of North Americans and Europeans say they’ve had their “eyes opened” by someone like Dunham.

Thirty percent admitted that they might actually care less after hearing feminist talking points from someone like Swift.

And that’s if they buy a celebrity’s feminist credentials at all; 80% told the branding agency that if a celebrity hasn’t spoken about feminism before now, their credibility is seriously in question on the issue. And it’s a high bar to earn trust: an affiliated study by the same agency showed that consumers are cynical even of longtime-humanitarian Angelina Jolie’s commitment to her causes.

Dunham and Patricia Arquette are the only stars of stage and screen to be considered “credible feminists,” possibly because they’re now mostly famous for being political activists. Actress Olivia Wilde, Swift, model Gigi Hadid and even the UN’s top feminist herself, Watson, were among the least credible ambassadors, according to consumers.

The problem, according to Sehdev, is that feminism is increasingly seen as a way for young female celebrities to find relevance in a social media world. Since you can make headlines for being a feminist—or, really, just saying you’re a feminist— actresses, singers and models use the word to garner attention.

That, say consumers, cheapens feminism and “damages the cause’s reputation as a whole.” According to the study, celebrity involvement makes women’s rights actually seem like a “trivial matter.” And that tunes people out of the message—even if there is a real need for women’s rights activism on a global scale.

Most of the over 6,000 consumers polled said that modern feminists could earn more credibility if they incorporated experienced spokespeople like education crusader Malala Yousafzai or CEO Sheryl Sandberg.

I think its because ordinary americans feel like these celebrities are out of touch :ld:.
For example, a lot of celebrities used feminism to boost hilarys campaign, even when it was obvious that some of hillarys policies have hurt women in the past. ppl might have been turned off to feminism as a result.
Feminism’s Flaws Didn’t Lead to Clinton’s Defeat

Also, a lot of extreme feminists (feminazis) in hollywood have contributed to this

King Musa

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
feminism isnt BS. the way ppl use its message is. that buzzfeed video is an embarrassment to the human race :scust:

Yes, Feminism isn't bullshyt if you take the time to understand it and its core ideology...But, it's depiction in mainstream media isn't a good one...And when you have women who identify as "feminist" saying that they long for the end of men, than people who don't research its true meaning wil be swayed away.

BocaRear

The World Is My Country, To Do Good Is My Religion
Daps
There's a real issue between gender gaps in society - that's true
But the way feminists are so aggressive and condescending in their message just puts everyone off.
The amount of vitriol that comes out of some Feminists is just :scusthov:

You can be a feminist and not hate men

Celerii

Daps
Reppin
igboland
Yes, Feminism isn't bullshyt if you take the time to understand it and its core ideology...But, it's depiction in mainstream media isn't a good one...And when you have women who identify as "feminist" saying that they long for the end of men, than people who don't research its true meaning wil be swayed away.
i agree. all of these extreme feminists are ruining the message of equality that feminism is supposed to spread.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Not to mention the ridiculous narratives being pushed. There is no rape culture on campuses, and the wage gap myth is nuanced. Then take into consideration there is not one demographic in Western society who is pampered and cherished than white women and girls. Feminism needs to die.

Edit post: Seeing feminists go through PTSD after Trump won was one positive outcome this year. Lena Dunham getting hives as a result was beautiful.

Celerii

Daps
Reppin
igboland
There's a real issue between gender gaps in society - that's true
But the way feminists are so aggressive and condescending in their message just puts everyone off.
The amount of vitriol that comes out of some Feminists is just :scusthov:

You can be a feminist and not hate men
i dont think we should associate feminists with extremists. feminists are reasonable ppl.
its the EXTREME one who make things bad for everyone :upsetfavre:

BocaRear

The World Is My Country, To Do Good Is My Religion
Daps
i dont think we should associate feminists with extremists. feminists are reasonable ppl.
its the EXTREME one who make things bad for everyone :upsetfavre:
I would argue a lot of them aren't extremists:ld:

they probably make up a large portion of the self-declared feminists that you see on Tumblr

Also the invention of condescending terminology like "mansplaining" and "misogynoir" makes them really hard to converse with