Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
Did y'all used to go? Did you go by choice or force, lol? Anyone actually go to overnight camp?

I loathed summer camp and wanted to just stay at home those three months. I'd had enough of dealing with other kids during the school year...summer was supposed to be a time to chill. So long as I could find a pool to swim in at some point during the summer, I was good.

For Coli Parents, will any of y'all be sending your kids to camp this summer, in the midst of what is happening? I see they are trying to still open up camps and they are already filling up...

:patrice:
It's kind of weird to me...I know people are getting tired of being around their kids all day. They have been tired since March lol and would probably welcome the reprieve of sending them away to camp. And yet, I'm wondering, if things were bad enough to have to shut schools down for, then how do they still open camp and helps ease fears when sending kids there now?

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
"Forced" but grew to love it. Camp was in VT.

My first time away from home and learned alot about myself and my capabilities. First time interacting with white people full-time too.

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
Did y'all used to go? Did you go by choice or force, lol? Anyone actually go to overnight camp?

I loathed summer camp and wanted to just stay at home those three months. I'd had enough of dealing with other kids during the school year...summer was supposed to be a time to chill. So long as I could find a pool to swim in at some point during the summer, I was good.

For Coli Parents, will any of y'all be sending your kids to camp this summer, in the midst of what is happening? I see they are trying to still open up camps and they are already filling up...

:patrice:
It's kind of weird to me...I know people are getting tired of being around their kids all day. They have been tired since March lol and would probably welcome the reprieve of sending them away to camp. And yet, I'm wondering, if things were bad enough to have to shut schools down for, then how do they still open camp and helps ease fears when sending kids there now?
My mom sent us to this ghetto bible study camp for a few years. I liked it because of the boys smh. Did Girl Scout camp a couple of years because my mom was a director of the camp. I hated every minute of it too. They tried to send me and my sister to this sleep away camp for Girl Scouts and me and my sister called my mom a couple of hours later and asked her to pick us up—there was too many bugs and mud and we didn’t want to hike or camp like that.

She came and got us because she already knew we weren’t cut out for it. It was mostly white kids lol.

As for my son, come June 9th he will be promptly delivered to his father. I’m not putting him in a summer camp with what’s going on and I’m not even aware of any that are happening in my area yet.

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
I did summer camp for three years at the Cross Island Ymca back in the late 80s.

We didn't have any camp trips , we'd go to the park and we used to sit on the cheese bus in the hot ass humid nyc summer weather but never go anywhere :hmm:. It was just apart of our daily exercises (arts & crafts/swimming etc around the building).

paperbag

Death to the demoness Allegra Geller
Daps
Camp Feather River:banderas: absolutely loved it. I wish it lasted all summer like in books i used to read, but it was only 1 week every summer, I couldn't wait.

I liked summer day camp durring elementary school, like k-3rd, because they would always take us swimming a couple times a week, but I hated it the one year i went in 4th grade, I would rather be at home.

Rockstar Mom

PhatGurlSwag
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn!!!!!
My dad owned a summer camp and I LOVED it. It was in Bear Mountain, NY. We stayed in cabins, payed water sports, fished.................memories:mjcry:

I would send my kids to one like that. I wouldn't send them to one that was a school like atmosphere. I agree that they have school all year, summer is for fun and chilling with your friends.

But my kids spend the summer with their grandparents every year, so I can have some mommy time:mjgrin:

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
"Forced" but grew to love it. Camp was in VT.

My first time away from home and learned alot about myself and my capabilities. First time interacting with white people full-time too.

I do think there can be benefits for a kid's self-esteem, definitely. Then I see some of those 80s and 90s movies about what happens at camp, and then I'm like, can't do it, lol.

Did you have any crazy experiences there? What is Vermont like in the summer?

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
My mom sent us to this ghetto bible study camp for a few years. I liked it because of the boys smh. Did Girl Scout camp a couple of years because my mom was a director of the camp. I hated every minute of it too. They tried to send me and my sister to this sleep away camp for Girl Scouts and me and my sister called my mom a couple of hours later and asked her to pick us up—there was too many bugs and mud and we didn’t want to hike or camp like that.

She came and got us because she already knew we weren’t cut out for it. It was mostly white kids lol.

As for my son, come June 9th he will be promptly delivered to his father. I’m not putting him in a summer camp with what’s going on and I’m not even aware of any that are happening in my area yet.

I'm sorry...I was in tears as soon as I saw "ghetto bible camp". It immediately brought to mind memories of seeing those "vacation bible camp" placards strewn across the church's announcement box outside. I never had the pleasure of attending one. I remember being very curious about what they were like, but I suspected if I hated normal camp, VCB wasn't going to be any better.

What did they do with y'all all day? Was it really studying the Bible for the majority of the day?

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
My dad owned a summer camp and I LOVED it. It was in Bear Mountain, NY. We stayed in cabins, payed water sports, fished.................memories:mjcry:

I would send my kids to one like that. I wouldn't send them to one that was a school like atmosphere. I agree that they have school all year, summer is for fun and chilling with your friends.

But my kids spend the summer with their grandparents every year, so I can have some mommy time:mjgrin:

Summer camp with the grands sounds great. Your daddy can teach the babies the same skills and you don't have to worry about them being okay...and it's free.

It sounds you probably learned so wood survival skills, too! Do you take your babies fishing now? Only now that I am adult do I understand the value in being able to catch a fish...I wasn't trying to have any parts of that as a kid lol.

Rockstar Mom

PhatGurlSwag
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn!!!!!
Summer camp with the grands sounds great. Your daddy can teach the babies the same skills and you don't have to worry about them being okay...and it's free.

It sounds you probably learned so wood survival skills, too! Do you take your babies fishing now? Only now that I am adult do I understand the value in being able to catch a fish...I wasn't trying to have any parts of that as a kid lol.
Yup. My oldest knows how to clean a fish and start a fire. Most of our family lives in the country. The country country. So they spend a lot of time outside learning some skills. Ghetto country skills, but still skills lol.

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
I do think there can be benefits for a kid's self-esteem, definitely. Then I see some of those 80s and 90s movies about what happens at camp, and then I'm like, can't do it, lol.

Did you have any crazy experiences there? What is Vermont like in the summer?

I feel you on the crazy shyt. Luckily, I didn't experience any of that other than socking a young cac in the eye for inappropriate language.

As for VT, its unlike anything I'd experienced up to that point in my life. During the summer, it was cold as shyt in the morning (30-40 degrees), hot in the afternoon (80-90 degrees) and then back to cold in the evening.

With all of the greenery (evergreen trees), some of the most pristine air I have ever inhaled.:wow:

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
Yup. My oldest knows how to clean a fish and start a fire. Most of our family lives in the country. The country country. So they spend a lot of time outside learning some skills. Ghetto country skills, but still skills lol.

Those skills are a blessing...getting them from y'all is even more so. My mama grew up in the projects but was sent to the country many summers to spend it with our family there. I just learned she would see them getting eggs for breakfast each day, using an outhouse and using a shotgun, among a bunch of other stuff...building stuff, fixing stuff, killing stuff...you name it.

We are city folks (her kids) thru and thru, so learning she got a chance to experience this was a big surprise. Folks like y'all are getting invaluable life education lol.