"Supergirl" TV show thread

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I stopped after Season 3, but 6 seasons is a solid run :ehh:. The final season will have more episodes than usual and they will be able to wrap up the series properly.

They kind of lowkey alluded to the fact that The Flash is not getting 23 episodes next season. I wonder if that will become the norm now for CW shoes or is just a one time thing.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Next season will be the last

Probably 2 or 3 seasons past it's sell-by date anyway.

I have noticed a lot of Supergirl fans getting mad and acting like there is some conspiracy that the CW is replacing Supergirl with Superman & Lois.

I'm sure getting a Superman show played a part in the cancellation but I bet an even bigger reason was that Stargirl is now a CW show and that fills the spunky young white girl lead super-hero show quota for the network.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
They kind of lowkey alluded to the fact that The Flash is not getting 23 episodes next season. I wonder if that will become the norm now for CW shoes or is just a one time thing.
The Flash hasn't needed more than a 13 episode season since S02.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

I’d cut the episode count down to 16-18 episodes. That way you cut out a lot of filler and tighten up the storylines. That’s more than likely what’s going to happen this season since they are getting less than 20 episodes.

Supergirls rating also didn’t help matters and played a part in the cancellation. It was a mutual decision from what I’ve read. I wonder how do they explain her absence until she comes back from maternity leave?

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Probably 2 or 3 seasons past it's sell-by date anyway.

I have noticed a lot of Supergirl fans getting mad and acting like there is some conspiracy that the CW is replacing Supergirl with Superman & Lois.

I'm sure getting a Superman show played a part in the cancellation but I bet an even bigger reason was that Stargirl is now a CW show and that fills the spunky young white girl lead super-hero show quota for the network.

I think the biggest reason was Melissa is pregnant and her contract was up after season 6 anyway. Maybe she just wanted to move on. It was still a big enough show (by CW standards) for them not to replace by their own decision

I am curious though if DCTV is gonna pull a Marvel and focus on the HBO Max stuff/on demand over Bertlani/CW regular TV in the next few years. Reason I say that is, they've announced more stuff for HBO Max (Peacemaker, GCPD, Green Lantern, DC Universe shows moving) and this and Arrow are ending, I think Legends has been rumoured for a while to finish and I dont know if Batwoman is gonna continue with the drastic lead change. Maybe if they go ahead with the Black Canaries show it'll be an indication that there still going ahead but HBO Max gives them less restrictions creativley while not relying on the same exec tandem.

Also I wonder CBS and WB will priotize CW with its shrinking ratings year on year when they have on demand streaming services of their own and thats the future. The main thing thats justified making money for them with the CW is liscencing the shows to streaming networks like Netflix after the season is done and I wonder if they wanna still help out partners like that which are now competitors.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN

None of these Primetime shows need to be 22-23 episodes and CW/DC shows going back all the way to Smallville days dont need to be that long with the drawn out filler and storylines. Plus now with Covid I think they gonna wanna minimize the time on set and that channel has so much interchangable season to mid season shows that they swap out.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I think the biggest reason was Melissa is pregnant and her contract was up after season 6 anyway. Maybe she just wanted to move on. It was still a big enough show (by CW standards) for them not to replace by their own decision

I am curious though if DCTV is gonna pull a Marvel and focus on the HBO Max stuff/on demand over Bertlani/CW regular TV in the next few years. Reason I say that is, they've announced more stuff for HBO Max (Peacemaker, GCPD, Green Lantern, DC Universe shows moving) and this and Arrow are ending, I think Legends has been rumoured for a while to finish and I dont know if Batwoman is gonna continue with the drastic lead change. Maybe if they go ahead with the Black Canaries show it'll be an indication that there still going ahead but HBO Max gives them less restrictions creativley while not relying on the same exec tandem.

Also I wonder CBS and WB will priotize CW with its shrinking ratings year on year when they have on demand streaming services of their own and thats the future. The main thing thats justified making money for them with the CW is liscencing the shows to streaming networks like Netflix after the season is done and I wonder if they wanna still help out partners like that which are now competitors.
I think they will still use CW to funnel shows for that tween-teen market that CW has on lock and who likely aren't going to be subbed to HBO Max.
Those shows streaming and international deals still would be a nice avenue financially to have.

mr.africa

Veteran
Daps
I guess I’m in the minority that actually enjoys the show :yeshrug:

With the exception of season 2 :camby:

The show was lowkey enjoyable for me.

And like somebody said earlier. They legit have a Superman show now so there is really no need for a “Supergirl” show.
i like it too

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I’d cut the episode count down to 16-18 episodes. That way you cut out a lot of filler and tighten up the storylines. That’s more than likely what’s going to happen this season since they are getting less than 20 episodes.

Supergirls rating also didn’t help matters and played a part in the cancellation. It was a mutual decision from what I’ve read. I wonder how do they explain her absence until she comes back from maternity leave?

Should be 15 at most. The amount of filler episodes that never advanced the plot ruined what could have been a good show.