Ta-Nehisi Coates for 'The Atlantic': "I’m Not Black, I’m Kanye"

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol:

Yes, do you know how many similar bills are out there? This is a mostly symbolic bill sponsored by Democrats. Dems love sponsoring these type of symbolic bills that won't change anything.

Its only symbolic because people dont know about it..so they dont take advantage of it

Thats why I said someone like Coates should hop on this

If these politicians actually want to do something how about passing a criminal justice reform bill?

:sas2:

But something tells me your man Trump and his AG Session won't support it.

#nowmovethegoalposts

AndroidHero

Superstar
Daps
Its only symbolic because people dont know about it..so they dont take advantage of it

Thats why I said someone like Coates should hop on this

"Sec. 5) The commission may provide: (1) grants to communities and nonprofit organizations for the development of programs; (2) grants to research and scholarly organizations to research, publish, or distribute information relating to the arrival of Africans in the United States; and (3) technical assistance to states, localities, and nonprofit organizations to further the commemoration."

:comeon:

May? And what kind of programs are they talking about? It's all vague.

"All expenditures of the commission shall be made solely from donated funds."

The government won't even fund the commission, that is how useless this bill is and the only reason you defending it because Trump signed it.

#nowmovethegoalposts

Yeah, the man that appointed Jeff Session and supports the drug war is for criminal justice reform.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Calling Kanye (or any man/woman) a "God of his time" is doing way too much for me. Kanye is "not dying to be White" - he is dying for White validation and acceptance. For himself and his bi-racial children.

Kanye wants full White acceptance - and hates that the color of skin he inherited from his ancestors makes that impossible.

Therefore, he disrespects and blames his ancestors -- when he should be blaming those whose ancestors enslaved and subjugated his -- and set up the system of White Supremacy. And whose descendants have done everything in their power to make sure that system stays in place. Including the family he married into.

Ta-Nehisi is very well versed on Black American history -- he could have really aided in educating Kanye and others with his mindset.
Maam in a way kanye has alot in common with Basquiat with needing the White validation and acceptance from the white elite in music and in fashion compare to Basquiat who want it for his art.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Michael Jackson told his visibly white daughter that they're African-American.
He went to Africa and was crowned a chief.
Told Oprah he'd be horrified if a white child/person ever played him.
Made the following music video with black Pharaohs and queens:

Michael never wanted to be white but he wanted skin uniformity so he wouldn't look like a zebra

Daps
Reppin
NULL
tenor.gif

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have to disagree with the Kanye to Michael comparison.

Kanye's impact has always more superficial and not really rooted in blackness; Michael "ran" from blackness appearance wise but he always stood for the black cause in music and with his dollars. Kanye is just a c00n and he always has been.

As someone mentioned, Coates writing is really whiny and insufferable. It was a chore to get through this.