Teach In Thailand (or anywhere else abroad)

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
I didn't realize until I traveled to S Korea and Japan that there are 1000s of young Americans (and other westerners) in Asia teaching English. The pay is mediocre but housing is usually paid for. There are short and long term programs. I've spent a good amount of time in the eastern Asian countries..and I really couldn't see myself being there long term.

But Thailand....I think I could do ....I still need to spend some time in Bangkok, but I fell in love with the island region and think I could be there for good.

Here is the requirements & pay for the Thailand teaching positions...

Eligibity
You do not have to be a teacher with extensive international experience to apply! Whether your major was art history, zoology, or anything in between; if you have a good attitude and solid work ethic, your academic background will serve you well in the classroom—this time from the teacher’s side of the desk.

CIEE and our partner Thai schools are looking for well-rounded applicants who are independent, adventurous, and who adapt well to new situations. Participants must be able to expect the unexpected and thrive in a changing environment! It’s essential that participants are self-motivated, responsible, and recognize that their first priority is to their school and their teaching assignment. 110% commitment to the program is essential.

Basic Eligibility Requirements
  • Bachelor’s degree in any major
  • U.S. citizenship or other English speaking country citizenship: native English language fluency
  • Teaching experience or TEFL certification preferred but not required
Desirable Experience
  • Teaching experience, community involvement, sense of volunteerism, experiences instructing children (eg summer camp counselor) and/or similar experiences preferred
  • Experience studying, working, or volunteering abroad
  • Degree in English or Education
Compensation
Earning at least 20,000 baht per month, CIEE Teach in Thailand participants have a high standard of living while in Thailand. Host institutions provide comfortable accommodations and the cost of living in Thailand is very low. The salary may not seem particularly high by Western terms, but it is generous in local terms—about twice what local teachers earn—and wages can easily finance independent travel after the semester.

Minimum salary is 22,000 baht per month inside of the cities of Bangkok and Chang Mai.

Applicants with degrees in science, math, technology, or social studies may be offered the opportunity to teach an additional subject (in English). Those with the background and interest to teach Science, Math, or Technology, sometimes even social studies or PE, may earn up to an additional 8,000 Baht per month.

Contract Completion Bonus for May Teachers!
Complete a full-year contract and receive a 20,000 baht bonus to apply towards your adventures.

http://www.ciee.org/teach/thailand/

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is great...if you are white. And even then its a dead end job, although the pay is ok depending on the country/school and relative to tax and cost of living.

For blacks though... :francis:

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
This is great...if you are white. And even then its a dead end job, although the pay is ok depending on the country/school and relative to tax and cost of living.

For blacks though... :francis:

that's why I said I couldn't do this in Korea, Japan, or China, but I honestly didn't get that vibe in Thailand. I'm sure :mjpls:exists there as well, but the Thai people are generally really nice, accommodating, and can cook their ass off for the low low. :noah:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've come across some black teachers in Singapore.

But yeah you would need to go to places like Vietnam and Thailand. How much money would you make though?

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah its very much country dependent. And dependent on skintone and sex. Koreans in particular often do not want black teachers and a lot of the Korean and Chinese kids are racist as fukk.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
I've come across some black teachers in Singapore.

But yeah you would need to go to places like Vietnam and Thailand. How much money would you make though?

it sounds like about 30000 baht/month....or about 1000 USD/month :damn:

BUT....that actually goes a long way over there. housing is paid for..and you can eat well for $15/day ....

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
There are many YouTube videos of blacks teaching in South Korea and Japan. Black women tend to go to South Korea and black men to Japan. Japan and Korea are wealthy countries and even then teachers are always getting screwed over.

I doubt there are many teaching jobs in Thailand. Too many foreign men are willing to do it. Not too many locals could pay for the service. Even poor bar girls speak basic English without hiring tutors.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
...stop spreading rumours? lol I teach Chinese kids and adults dude, some are nice...some aren't.
exactly, so I wouldnt go around saying
a lot of the Korean and Chinese kids are racist as fukk.

maybe some are, but most arent. asian kids are pretty respectable, what ghetto ass school are you teaching at? :what:

my homie is the darkest, most african lookin dude you can get, and he's probably the best and most requested teacher at his school. He takes his job even a little too serious imo. He does have at least one rug rat per class, but compared to the other 20, I wouldnt say chinese kids are racist. that ONE chinese kid was racist, the others were chill. esp kids. kids are quite innocent.

maybe you're equating ignorance to racism. for example a little kid licking your skin and wondering if its made out of chocolate. thats not racist, thats just an ignorant little curious kid.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
Yeah its very much country dependent. And dependent on skintone and sex. Koreans in particular often do not want black teachers and a lot of the Korean and Chinese kids are racist as fukk.

a lot of American kids are racist as fukk....