Thandiwe Newton Gets Emotional Over Experience As A Light-Skinned Woman

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
That was actually kind of enlightening. I'm not mad at her. So in the UK she was black, but got over here in the US and was called light skinned and shytted on by darker folks. Different kind of wake up call. That's her truth, no reason to all colors matter her experiences.

DON MA MA

Midnight
Daps
Reppin
TEXAS
In the UK they let biracials actually be biracial lol
The fact they she could even go to another country and get work playing characters of not only a different ethnic group but nationality shows the acceptance she got. I've never heard a bad thing about her as an actress from any AA woman. This was some tragic mulatto shyt... cause everybody love halle berry.

:rudy:

Daps
This woman loves playing a bedwench in her projects, television to movies, the latest of which being a film with Chris Pine that just dropped this week. Yet, we’re supposed to take her pained cries over the burden of being a light skinned “black” woman seriously? fukkouttahere.

:unimpressed:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In the UK they let biracials actually be biracial lol
The fact they she could even go to another country and get work playing characters of not only a different ethnic group but nationality shows the acceptance she got. I've never heard a bad thing about her as an actress from any AA woman. This was some tragic mulatto shyt... cause everybody love halle berry.

:rudy:

I think dark skin actresses have complained about colorism though. As well about UK black actresses taking roles. I dont think shes saying people have said it to her personally. I never really considered that those actors would internalize that. But i think most actors/actresses from the UK understand the gripe is with directors and studios. Nothing against the actors for taking the part:gucci:

Which leads me to wonder if shes actually experienced this? Or if her feelings are hurt based on dark skinned women and AA actressestelling their stories?

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
Isn't that only a American thing?

I mean this lightskin darkskin bullshyt?
I’m not sure if it’s just an American thing. I heard women in Africa using European beauty standards as their norm and that colorism shyt is prevalent there too…:yeshrug:

Keshia Chante (a lightskin Canadian singer) said she was bullied alot as a kid by dark-skinned women.

DON MA MA

Midnight
Daps
Reppin
TEXAS
I think dark skin actresses have complained about colorism though. As well about UK black actresses taking roles. I dont think shes saying people have said it to her personally. I never really considered that those actors would internalize that. But i think most actors/actresses from the UK understand the gripe is with directors and studios. Nothing against the actors for taking the part:gucci:

Which leads me to wonder if shes actually experienced this? Or if her feelings are hurt based on dark skinned women and AA actressestelling their stories?

Yea they have complained about colorism but have they attacked any lightskin actress based on that? Her time as an actress was with Halle Berry, Vivica Fox, Lisa Ray, Vanessa Williams etc... none of them have talked about any darkskin actresses attacking them for what casting directors do.

Never heard AA actresses talk about uk actresses, i can count them on 1 hand. Its usually men who have made that argument.

Her feelings just hurt breh... she was acting during this era
DeanZign_Covers_08.jpg

And never got the treatment they got. That's all it is...

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Go to your mansion and cry it out. Nobody told her to get in bed with demons. Better hop that ass on the marvel train