The Battle for rent control in Chicago

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
pretty unfair to landlords not that the people campaigning for rent control care

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
you don't know what you're talking about. CA local jurisdictions have rent control, we have some of the most tenant friendly laws in the damn country. this proposition would have basically allowed them to ratchet shyt up from 100 to 1000, hamstringing landlords even more than we already are...laws in the bay meant to stifle the greed of large landlords are making the lives of small (SFH, duplex, triplex, foruplex) owners unbearable. property owners needed to step up to stop the madness...CA laws go overboard.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
you don't know what you're talking about. CA local jurisdictions have rent control, we have some of the most tenant friendly laws in the damn country. this proposition would have basically allowed them to ratchet shyt up from 100 to 1000, hamstringing landlords even more than we already are...laws in the bay meant to stifle the greed of large landlords are making the lives of small (SFH, duplex, triplex, foruplex) owners unbearable. property owners needed to step up to stop the madness...CA laws go overboard.

No law can differentiate small landlords from large landlords? :jbhmm:

fourplex.... quadplex?

landlords have bills to pay too and if they don't renters won't have a home either... not a difficult concept

Ultimatums aside, if a renter feels that the rent is too high, then they're not gonna care.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Don’t want any regulations hurting your profits, huh? :usure:
you know when it comes to small landlords, this does nothing but make housing more expensive. instead of charging $2000 for a two bedroom to find flexible tenants (i give you a deal if you're not expecting the amenities of a professionally managed complex) i might as well charge the top of the market $2500 since i won't be able to adjust my discount to stay anywhere near in line with the market as long as you're my tenant.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Don’t want any regulations hurting your profits, huh? :usure:

doesn't address the macro issues

:manny:

Taxes and other costs costs go up for the landlord while the rent stays artificially low... it just doesn't work with private ownership.

If they want to try that charade with public buildings go for it but you're probably going to end up with a NYCHA situation.