The Coli's All-Time Soccer/Football World XI

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
Alright guys so I'm very partial to lists, rankings etc. I figured why don't we have a discussion about collectively forming an all-time world eleven in football (soccer :hhh:).

I know we already have a giant general thread to discuss this sport but I want this to be a more focused discussion on forming a world XI.

Basically, I will list the positions that we have to deliberate on below. For each position, you need at least TWO players e.g. Goalkeeper: Cech and Kahn. Then between the two (or four in some cases), you need to rank them because when I come to tallying up all the numbers, your highest-rated player amongst the two will be credited with 2 points, and the other player just 1 point. When it comes to 4 player rankings, the highest score is 2, the next one 1.5, the third 1 and the final gets 0.5 point.

As we have a diverse age range here, I think we'll get some pretty respectable results that span across generations. However, I will say this: please refrain from putting in players based on hearsay or legend. If you haven't seen them play (either in real time or extensive highlights etc.), can you really comment on their belonging in this world XI?

I'm gonna list my team below so you guys get a sense of how to do this. PLEASE FOLLOW MY EXACT SAME FORMAT OR YOUR SUBMISSION WILL NOT BE COUNTED. I will eventually tally up the scores and I will list our collective all-time team based on voting. This thread is an all purpose thread, so you can submit your team here (but using the prescribed format only) and also this is the place to throw in suggestions, get some general discussion going etc.

In terms of putting players in positions, try to stick to the position they are most renowned for, although if they are flexible players that have excelled in multiple positions e.g. Cristiano Ronaldo and Maldini, then you can choose from amongst multiple positions.

The positions are as follows:
Goalkeeper
GK (2 players)
Defenders
RB (2 players)
CB (4 players)
LB (2 players)
Midfielders
RM/RW (2 players)
CDM (2 players)
CAM (2 players)
CM (4 players)
LM/LW (2 players)
Strikers
CF (4 players)

My team is as follows (REMEMBER: please follow this format below. Just CnP into your post).
------------
*you guys do NOT need to list the scores next to the player names. I'm just showing it to you for guidance and understanding. Just listing the names in order is sufficient.

GK:
1. Gianluigi Buffon (2)
2. Peter Schmeichel (1)

RB:
1. Cafu (2)
2. Philipp Lahm (1)

CB:
1. Alessandro Nesta (2)
2. Rio Ferdinand (1.5)
3. Sergio Ramos (1)
4. Marcel Desailly (0.5)

LB:
1. Paulo Maldini (2)
2. Ashley Cole (1)

RM/RW:
1. Lionel Messi (2)
2. Luis Figo (1)

CDM:
1. Claude Makalele (2)
2. Frank Rijkaard (1)

CM:
1. Zinedine Zidane (2)
2. Paul Scholes (1.5)
3. Patrick Vieira (1)
4. Xavi Hernandez (0.5)

CAM:
1. Diego Maradona (2)
2. Rivaldo (1)

LM/LW:
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (2)
2. Ronaldinho (1)

CF:
1. Ronaldo (2)
2. Thierry Henry (1.5)
3. Luis Suarez (1)
4. Alan Shearer (0.5)

You guys will notice I didn't list players like Beckenbauer or Pele, and that's because I haven't seen them play much if at all so...
:yeshrug:

Eventually, we can decide on the right formation to use, hence me giving you guys more to choose from in the central areas of the pitch.

Last edited:

bis0n

(Requires Trapping)
Daps
  1. I don't believe in rating players I never watched, so my age will definitely show itself :manny:
  2. As much as these are individual ratings, I had to count team success to split hairs.
GK:
1. Gianluigi Buffon
2. Petr Cech

RB:
1. Javier Zanetti
2. Cafu

CB:
1. Fabio Cannavaro
2. Carles Puyol
3. Rio Ferdinand
4. John Terry

LB:
1. Ashley Cole
2. Roberto Carlos

RM/RW:
1. Lionel Messi
2. Franck Ribéry

DM:
1. Claude Makélélé
2. Xabi Alonso

CM:
1. Andrea Pirlo
2. Frank Lampard
3. Yaya Touré
4. Paul Scholes

AM:
1. Ronaldinho
2. Zinedine Zidane

LM/LW:
1. Cristiano Ronaldo
2. Arjen Robben

CF:
1. Ronaldo
2. Zlatan Ibrahimović
3. Robert Lewandowski
4. Wayne Rooney

Two big problems I had in making my decisions:
  1. I don't think it's fair to clump 6s 8s and 10s together. There are some all-timers who were only capable of filling one position. I didn't want to drop R10 and Zizou :sadcam:
  2. FIFPRO gets to pick five teams for each season, but we're supposed to pick two all-time :comeon:

Last edited:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
  1. I don't believe in rating players I never watched, so my age will definitely show itself :manny:
  2. As much as these are individual ratings, I had to count team success to split hairs.
GK:
1. Gianluigi Buffon
2. Petr Cech

RB:
1. Javier Zanetti
2. Cafu

CB:
1. Fabio Cannavaro
2. Carles Puyol
3. Rio Ferdinand
4. John Terry

LB:
1. Ashley Cole
2. Roberto Carlos

RM/RW:
1. Lionel Messi
2. Franck Ribéry

CM:
1. Andrea Pirlo
2. Frank Lampard
3. Yaya Touré
4. Claude Makélélé

LM/LW:
1. Cristiano Ronaldo
2. Arjen Robben

CF:
1. Ronaldo
2. Zlatan Ibrahimović
3. Robert Lewandowski
4. Wayne Rooney

Two big problems I had in making my decisions:
  1. I don't think it's fair to clump 6s 8s and 10s together. There are some all-timers who were only capable of filling one position. I didn't want to drop R10 and Zizou :sadcam:
  2. FIFPRO gets to pick five teams for each season, but we're supposed to pick two all-time :comeon:

Hey man really appreciate you getting this right. Great first post and excellent options too. Dw about showing age etc. Like I said in OP, I'd rather you spoke on players that you watched personally.

If you wanna suggest some position amendments, I'm open to ideas, especially at this early stage. I don't understand your FIFPRO comment.

EDIT: Just want to add this. The reason I added more options in the central areas is to have options to cover any possible formation that the Coli end up deciding on. Within your 4 CM options, if you wanted to pick one CDM and one CAM etc. that's entirely up to you. That's why I kept it flexible like that and yes inevitably, some names will be left off. That said, I'm all ears to suggestions.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Just make your favourite all-time XI. All this tallying points and formations is :camby: Because you're going to end up with a formation that won't get the best out of a particular player.

And when you say extensive highlights you mean actual games right? And not some 25 min skills and goals video by some YouTuber ?

So basically even tho I wasn't alive then but I've seen enough of their matches I can pick my XI out of 1960-70's :jbhmm:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
just posting folks I saw, i'm no expert or anything just my eye test

GK:
1. Gianluigi Buffon
2. Manuel Neuer

RB:
1. Lahm
2. Gianluca Zambrotta

CB:
1. Cannavaro
2. Nesta
3. Puyol
4. John Terry

LB:
1. Maldini
2. Cole

RM/RW:
1. Messi
2. Figo

CM:
1. Pirlo
2. Xavi
3. Rijkaard
4. Makélélé

LM/LW:
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldinho

CF:
Ronaldo
Henry
Drogba
Zlatan

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Just make your favourite all-time XI.

And when you say extensive highlights you mean actual games right? And not some 25 min skills and goals video by some YouTuber ?

So basically even tho I wasn't alive then but I've seen enough of their matches I can pick my XI out of 1960-70's :jbhmm:

How will we account for differences in formation if we just list our all-time XI? This gives you a chance to basically do that, but branches out a little further too.

Re extensive highlights: yes. Although there is no specific definition for what this means. Just to where you reach a point that you can feel comfortable talking about a player as you've seen enough games/highlights etc. As I said, this is why I won't talk about Pele. You can pick your XI from any era. Just don't be disingenuous.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
How will we account for differences in formation if we just list our all-time XI? This gives you a chance to basically do that, but branches out a little further too.

Re extensive highlights: yes. Although there is no specific definition for what this means. Just to where you reach a point that you can feel comfortable talking about a player as you've seen enough games/highlights etc. As I said, this is why I won't talk about Pele. You can pick your XI from any era. Just don't be disingenuous.

If most people favour a 442 but have Dinho or C dot as the LM/LW they were better in a 433. Now you can argue that C dot played in a 4231 which is a cousin of the 442/4411. But that is still a different positioning really as the LW is more forward/attacking then the LM role in the 442 is. So while it is fun to, you have to have some logic to it. The main reason why Dinho played LW in Barca 433 because he was too much of a liability to play centrally and he was moved to the left, so if he lost the ball the opps had further to go to attack the goal.

Also reason not to have a main formation because it doesn't allow for flexibility. With the right players you can have a 442/4231/433/4141 all with the same starting XI. While really they are attacking in a 235/325/334.

If people only prefer a single striker formation then having 4 forwards is pointless.

So it's easier for people to pick their favourite XI's.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
If most people favour a 442 but have Dinho or C dot as the LM/LW they were better in a 433. Now you can argue that C dot played in a 4231 which is a cousin of the 442/4411. But that is still a different positioning really as the LW is more forward/attacking then the LM role in the 442 is. So while it is fun to, you have to have some logic to it. The main reason why Dinho played LW in Barca 433 because he was too much of a liability to play centrally and he was moved to the left, so if he lost the ball the opps had further to go to attack the goal.

Also reason not to have a main formation because it doesn't allow for flexibility. With the right players you can have a 442/4231/433/4141 all with the same starting XI. While really they are attacking in a 235/325/334.

If people only prefer a single striker formation then having 4 forwards is pointless.

So it's easier for people to pick their favourite XI's.

Maybe I'm just not getting it but by allowing all these entries, you can cover for whatever formation ends up being chosen. Even in choosing 4 strikers, if you personally prefer a formation that has just one striker up top (I'm one of those people), then my first option (R9) would be the striker I'd choose in my personal XI. However, by picking amongst 4 strikers, that means if the formation ends up being 4-4-2, then I've voted for a second striker as well.

At the same time, I completely get the merits of just picking our XI, because that way, I can just pick the two most popular strikers from the final voting numbers if the final formation is set as 4-4-2 or some other variant involving 2 strikers.

Anyway, put yourself in my position. How would you go about this whole thing if we intend on forming a Coli world XI? Genuinely curious breh and if I think your process is simpler or makes more sense, I'll just go with it.

bis0n

(Requires Trapping)
Daps
Hey man really appreciate you getting this right. Great first post and excellent options too. Dw about showing age etc. Like I said in OP, I'd rather you spoke on players that you watched personally.

If you wanna suggest some position amendments, I'm open to ideas, especially at this early stage. I don't understand your FIFPRO comment.

EDIT: Just want to add this. The reason I added more options in the central areas is to have options to cover any possible formation that the Coli end up deciding on. Within your 4 CM options, if you wanted to pick one CDM and one CAM etc. that's entirely up to you. That's why I kept it flexible like that and yes inevitably, some names will be left off. That said, I'm all ears to suggestions.

FIFA has 5 teams of the year each season, like how there's 1st 2nd 3rd All-NBA.

So I think the best thing when dealing with midfield is to pick 2 DMs, 4 CMs, and 2 AMs. I rate R10 as the best AM, but I didn't want to exclude Makélélé for the sake of balance.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
FIFA has 5 teams of the year each season, like how there's 1st 2nd 3rd All-NBA.

So I think the best thing when dealing with midfield is to pick 2 DMs, 4 CMs, and 2 AMs. I rate R10 as the best AM, but I didn't want to exclude Makélélé for the sake of balance.

Ok I gotcha - you simply trying to add more options to the midfield. That's a very reasonable set up and I'm happy to adopt this. I'll just see how people feel about the overall way I've suggested and it may change overall anyway. I'm good with this tho, so thanks for the suggestion.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Maybe I'm just not getting it but by allowing all these entries, you can cover for whatever formation ends up being chosen. Even in choosing 4 strikers, if you personally prefer a formation that has just one striker up top (I'm one of those people), then my first option (R9) would be the striker I'd choose in my personal XI. However, by picking amongst 4 strikers, that means if the formation ends up being 4-4-2, then I've voted for a second striker as well.

At the same time, I completely get the merits of just picking our XI, because that way, I can just pick the two most popular strikers from the final voting numbers if the final formation is set as 4-4-2 or some other variant involving 2 strikers.

Anyway, put yourself in my position. How would you go about this whole thing if we intend on forming a Coli world XI? Genuinely curious breh and if I think your process is simpler or makes more sense, I'll just go with it.

Long and short you cannot. The best XI would have to be Midget Overlord and C dot + 9 others. The goals scored and trophies won dictate they have to be in any all time XI, especially in the last 20-30 years of football. So that's why it's easier to pick your favourite XI, as it is more personal and you can get a better level of discussion. People can ask what is it about this player you liked so much. Instead of people picking names for the sake of picking names, because the reality is, thats what people do. It's a subconscious thing and most time people don't actually realize they are doing it.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Long and short you cannot. The best XI would have to be Midget Overlord and C dot + 9 others. The goals scored and trophies won dictate they have to be in any all time XI, especially in the last 20-30 years of football. So that's why it's easier to pick your favourite XI, as it is more personal and you can get a better level of discussion. People can ask what is it about this player you liked so much. Instead of people picking names for the sake of picking names, because the reality is, thats what people do. It's a subconscious thing and most time people don't actually realize they are doing it.

I respectfully disagree.

I get your point about Messi and Ronaldo. I'd agree in that they SHOULD be in pretty much everyone's team, but that speaks to the uniqueness of their greatness as players. We've never seen anything like it. If more people vote for them, they will guarantee their places in the team, it's as simple as that.

I still think we can reach a consensus on the greatest XI. It doesn't mean it's gonna be to everyone's liking, but generally-speaking, the best players in their positions will feature in this team. We're just trying to arrive at who those players are; instead of just limiting it to XI choices, I wanted to branch out so people could mitigate against any formation issues. Plus the point system makes it interesting once I tally everything up.

Not saying my method is perfect but I don't think going in the direction of just picking favourites is it. I'm trying to get a world XI, that's the objective. I actually like @bis0n suggestion about expanding the midfield options to account for the range of midfielders you can find in the middle of the park.

I'm with you on your last sentence, but we just have to rely on people's integrity somewhat to reflect on what they truly believe the best XI is. An interesting discussion can still be had around this aspect instead of favourites.