The D-League could be so much more than what it currently is

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
There are currently 22 teams in the dleague. Let's say every team got their own dleague affiliate.

Right now the average dleague salary is $19,000. It's unrealistic to expect anybody to forgo a college career in order to make a McDonald's salary.

Let's say they institute a salary cap of $1-2 million.

I think your average top prospect straight out of high school would rather make a six figure salary playing in the dleague than play in college for free.

Now imagine a dleague playoff tournament, but with top college prospects :banderas:

The dleague could stand on its own as a legit league, they would make good bread, and it would only cost every team a few million extra dollars per season :jawalrus:

Kane

#BonesGANG
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
That's what overseas is for

The d-league could be an alternative to college where players don't have to travel halfway across the world and away from their families to make money, plus it's an actual NBA sanctioned league.

If the d-league offered legit salaries more players would be willing to play there than overseas.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The d-league could be an alternative to college where players don't have to travel halfway across the world and away from their families to make money, plus it's an actual NBA sanctioned league.

If the d-league offered legit salaries more players would be willing to play there than overseas.
:yeshrug: Gotta make sacrifices. The D League is a minor league, not the majors

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Considering the price of Knicks and Nets tickets, I might watch more D-League games in person this year than I'll ever watch live NBA games.

:mjcry:

I aint paying $85 to sit in the last row in the corner of MSG

:scusthov:
you seen their prices too? :laugh: I thought the Rangers were absurd. Dolan would charge $10,000 a seat if the Knicks made the playoffs

There are currently 22 teams in the dleague. Let's say every team got their own dleague affiliate.

Right now the average dleague salary is $19,000. It's unrealistic to expect anybody to forgo a college career in order to make a McDonald's salary.

Let's say they institute a salary cap of $1-2 million.

I think your average top prospect straight out of high school would rather make a six figure salary playing in the dleague than play in college for free.

Now imagine a dleague playoff tournament, but with top college prospects :banderas:

The dleague could stand on its own as a legit league, they would make good bread, and it would only cost every team a few million extra dollars per season :jawalrus:
$19,000 > 0

You have to remember something in this country. America doesn't root for minor league anything. There's no attachment to it. Therefore, no one would care if the top prospects went to D-League. We'd just wait for them to either get drafted or called up. Meanwhile, 20,000 fans will still fill up major college spots because America roots for laundry.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love

If the d-league offered legit salaries more players would be willing to play there than overseas

Think about this, Would you rather be a somebody in another country, or a nobody in America?

JLaw

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been saying for years that the union should negotiate for higher D-league salaries :manny:

But it shouldn't even fall on the union to push it. Turning the d-league into a legit attraction is a great way to expand the NBA into smaller markets. The Aquille Carr type players of the world could lend a modest level of excitement and 'star power' to the D-league, while still making a good living in their home country. Hopefully the owners and execs will start taking it more seriously as a farm system since the emergence of Hassan Whiteside.

Gotta change the name and rebrand it asap though. "D-league" has become too synonymous with struggle and bumhood.

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
I heard mentions that the d league were supposed to get salary increases. Maybe it's still being ironed out in the new CBA.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Been saying for years that the union should negotiate for higher D-league salaries :manny:
And how does that benefit the union when it's the guys in the league they're trying to get paid? $$ has to come from somewhere and the owners would take it out on the leagues salary cap or raise tix prices before they'd take a hit from their own profits

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil
They could expand to Canada.. heck salaries if 100 000 would give it some great players