The hatred for Mutants in the Marvel Universe has never made sense to me

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Replace "super powered people" with "people of color" and "mutants" with "black". The real world doesn't makes much sense either now does it?

What he said. Also you gotta remember the x men were around during the infancy of the universe so it made more sense for the hatred then before it just became overwhelmed with super powered people. But even then, most of those are science experiments. Mutants are identified early on as having the mutant gene, almost like jewish people in concentration camps

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I used to have this argument with dudes on the old Wizard World board and to this day no one can give me a satisfactory answer as to why I am supposed to buy that The Thing is a beloved celebrity but Storm is supposed to strike fear into the hearts of men.
The X-Men conceit works if they were the only super-humans on the planet.
Once you introduce all the other ones it loses its resonance because it is just as likely that as a citizen of the Marvel U that your child/lover/best friend will get powers from being bitten by a radioactive honey badger than they will be born a mutant.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
The civil rights thing aside, think about this for a minute: Would you be weary of a person who could walk through the wall of your home and steal everything? Or a person who could move cities with his mind? Or a person who could impersonate the President, walk in, and set off nukes? Then again, the Marvel (and DC) universes have so many super heroes around I'd be a bit shook of. I'm kind of glad that they don't exist.

Yet. :mjpls:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I never really thought about it, but no, it doesn't make much sense. I hear what some of the people in this thread are saying, but it just doesn't add up. And to add to that, how would anyone know a mutant from a regular super powered person? And if you want to go a step further and bring those mutant timelines to the present state of things, with social media and the push toward acceptance, I just don't think it holds up. It would be quite clear that the X-Men are the good guys when you visited their Facebook page.

Last edited:

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
I used to have this argument with dudes on the old Wizard World board and to this day no one can give me a satisfactory answer as to why I am supposed to buy that The Thing is a beloved celebrity but Storm is supposed to strike fear into the hearts of men.
The X-Men conceit works if they were the only super-humans on the planet.
Once you introduce all the other ones it loses its resonance because it is just as likely that as a citizen of the Marvel U that your child/lover/best friend will get powers from being bitten by a radioactive honey badger than they will be born a mutant.
If the x-men resided in their own stand alone universe this would make more sense

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
If the x-men resided in their own stand alone universe this would make more sense

Well what they've done now is say that mutants have a specific disease killing them off. Or theyve done things like say mutants are contagious or shyt like that. They couldn't keep the same rules in play once the world got bigger