The HBCU Analytics Thread

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Ok, I have been doing the "Rate This HBCU" thread for about two months now. I pull a lot of data from a database the Department of Education has. So I got the thought of pulling in some bulk data and comparing all HBCUs and the results are pretty interesting. I am going to drop the graphs here for now and see what people think. @hex @Barnett114 let me know if we can sticky this for a bit.

I will have four posts covering four aspects: high level enrollment info, detailed enrollment info, and earnings for HBCUs and majors.

High Level Enrollment
hbcu-enrollment.png

hbcu-annual-cost.png

First graph is Federal debt only, second graph is parents PLUS loans for graduates
hbcu-median-debt.png

hbcu-median-plus-debt.png

hbcu-sex-ratio.png

The best and worst for getting people graduated

hbcu-graduation-rate.png

hbcu-graduation-rate-low.png

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy @Peachstate @dora_da_destroyer

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Detailed Enrollment

First graph are the HBCUs with the highest percentage of first generation students while the second graph is the list of HBCUs with the lowest percentage of first generation students.
hbcu-first-gen-most.png

hbcu-first-gen-least.png

These two graphs are demographics. The first is the percent of students from households of $100k plus (hint Hampton has a bougie rep for a reason). The second are percent of students where the household is under $30k
hbcu-high-inc.png

hbcu-low-inc.png

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
HBCU Major Earnings

Note these typically don't account for people who get higher (grad school) degrees I think

Median earnings of all students by HBCU (10 years post graduation)
hbcu-median-earnings.png

Median earnings by major-HBCU for top earners
hbcu-top-majors.png

Median earnings for majors at specific schools including STEM majors 3 years out from graduation
Interesting to note, at a HBCU if you do not major in:

1) STEM
2) Nursing
3) Architecture
4) Business/Finance

You will not be expected to earn more thatn $50k UNLESS you go to Morehouse or Spelman and study economics or international relations

hbcu-biz-earnings.png

hbcu-finance-earnings.png

hbcu-comm-earnings.png

hbcu-stem-earnings.png

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Ok, I have been doing the "Rate This HBCU" thread for about two months now. I pull a lot of data from a database the Department of Education has. So I got the thought of pulling in some bulk data and comparing all HBCUs and the results are pretty interesting. I am going to drop the graphs here for now and see what people think. @hex @Barnett114 let me know if we can sticky this for a bit.

I will have four posts covering four aspects: high level enrollment info, detailed enrollment info, and earnings for HBCUs and majors.

High Level Enrollment
hbcu-enrollment.png

hbcu-annual-cost.png

hbcu-median-debt.png

hbcu-sex-ratio.png

The best and worst for getting people graduated

hbcu-graduation-rate.png

hbcu-graduation-rate-low.png

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy @Peachstate @dora_da_destroyer

Damn this is incredible you getting all this data together

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Good stuff, but it's a bit of a spoiler for the future College profiles.

True but a lot of this was becoming slowly obvious to me after nearly 30 profiles so I thought of consolidating it for an overall view and for things to look at in certain schools. Yeah a big spoiler for Spelman among others though. I am going to start adding the demographic stuff to future profiles too.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Black women are absolutely KILLING the game when it comes to higher education graduation rates.

On one hand you gotta give a shoot-out to the sistas for staying on grind

On the other hand it really makes you wonder what we need to do to get young brehs at a level where they’re matching it

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
True but a lot of this was becoming slowly obvious to me after nearly 30 profiles so I thought of consolidating it for an overall view and for things to look at in certain schools. Yeah a big spoiler for Spelman among others though. I am going to start adding the demographic stuff to future profiles too.
It's a GREAT overall series, and the profiles are highly anticipated. These charts are eye opening. When the series is complete, the board can have informed conversations about these schools and the future of education in America. But these charts provide a great snapshot of where things are, and heading.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Black women are absolutely KILLING the game when it comes to higher education graduation rates.

On the other hand it really makes you wonder what we need to do to get young brehs at a level where they’re matching it

Yeah but men in the US, actually the Western world overall, are falling behind women in college education so if we find the cheat code we will be heroes. What is interesting though is that the college gap has slowed and basically reduced a good bit for Black people after reaching a peak in 2010. For Whites and others the gap just opened and is accelerating. Only Asians don't have a larger gender college gap than Blacks now.

ed2.jpg

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps

Its all by design so it is working great.. shytting on men, specifically black men has worked out better than anyone expected.. "They" know exactly what they need to do to improve the numbers, they CHOOSE not to do it..

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
great info, what's the source on this information if you dont mind me asking