The Incredibly Short Rise And Fall Of A Black Republican

DrDealgood

Superstar
Daps

In the 1980s my grandmother disowned my father because he became a Republican. It was a half-joking disownment that my aunt also joined in, with her own teasing decree: “You are no longer my nephew.” It became a comedic riff in my family that was also a warning to me: “A Black person becoming a Republican was a failure to the race, so don’t even think about it, Aurin.”

But I did.

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU

In the 1980s my grandmother disowned my father because he became a Republican. It was a half-joking disownment that my aunt also joined in, with her own teasing decree: “You are no longer my nephew.” It became a comedic riff in my family that was also a warning to me: “A Black person becoming a Republican was a failure to the race, so don’t even think about it, Aurin.”

But I did.
There is nothing wrong with being a black conservative. Beneath all the politics, most black folks are conservative on many issues. But in 2020 conservatism is dead. I mean it's absolutely dead. Anybody claiming to be a conservative voting for Trump is nothing but a straight up hypocrite or a self hating c00n.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
There is nothing wrong with being a black conservative. Beneath all the politics, most black folks are conservative on many issues. But in 2020 conservatism is dead. I mean it's absolutely dead. Anybody claiming to be a conservative voting for Trump is nothing but a straight up hypocrite or a self hating c00n.

In what ways are blacks generally conservative? And in what way are we liberal? I'd guess for the overwhelming majority of us the list of ways we're liberal is much longer and has more important issues. I don't buy that "most blacks are conservative on many issues".

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This explains current American politics

These are the roots of the current GOP and the state of our two-party democracy: Democrats have become Republicans and Republicans have become QAnon. And tinfoil hats do not look cute on Black people, so all the idealistic links conservatism and Black politics made in the 1980s have withered and died.

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
In what ways are blacks generally conservative? And in what way are we liberal? I'd guess for the overwhelming majority of us the list of ways we're liberal is much longer and has more important issues. I don't buy that "most blacks are conservative on many issues".
Yeah, its is a made up, right-wing talking point that many black people have bought into.

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU
Come on man.The black church which most us were raised is conservative in the traditional family values Christian belief sense.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Come on man.The black church which most us were raised is conservative in the traditional family values Christian belief sense.
Conservatism has little to do with religion. This is why it’s a made up right wing talking point. If I told you Billy Graham and many Christians were pro-abortion.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Being nominally Christian doesn't make blacks conservative.

Do Blacks favor a larger welfare state or smaller one?
Are Blacks pro choice or pro life?
Are Blacks for more immigration?

Black people are overwhelmingly liberal as fukk. :yeshrug:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Honestly Nixon did a lot for the black community after the 60s trying to get more blacks into the government and thrived until carter got fukked by Reagan.

This is one of those times you actually need links. Because I heard that Nixon pushed a faux-black-empowerment policy and did little to nothing for black folks.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This is one of those times you actually need links. Because I heard that Nixon pushed a faux-black-empowerment policy and did little to nothing for black folks.
I mean they all do. He was privately racist as shyt. I’ll never deny that. But black employment in the federal government and contracting expanded rapidly during his tenure. HBCU funding etc. Dude had affirmative action and all that.

The Blacks Who Work For Nixon

What Nixon Can Teach the GOP About Courting Black Voters

Opinion | The Real Roots of ‘Black Capitalism’

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Blacks aren’t republican conservative. We’re not socially and racially conservative like white republicans.

the black church is pretty economically left wing when you think about it.