19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
The Issues That Divide People Within Each Party

Poll(s) of the week
There is no shortage of issues that divide Democrats and Republicans — the presidential election, the Supreme Court confirmation vote, etc. But let’s spend a little time today looking at issues that split voters within the two parties.

These issues are likely to come to the foreground after the election is over. If Republicans lose races for the presidency, U.S. Senate and some state legislatures — as seems likely right now — there will be a debate within the GOP about how to get back in power. Meanwhile, newly empowered Democrats would have to figure out which policies they want to advance first. On the other hand, if Democrats lose the presidential election (and it’s clear that the election was conducted fairly), we are likely to see a Super Bowl of recriminations, told-ya-so essays and infighting over how the party lost an election against such an unpopular president. President Trump and a victorious Republican Party would have to set a second-term agenda — a task complicated enough that the party opted against releasing an updated platform ahead of this year’s conventions.

So which issues divide Democrats, and which ones divide Republicans? Two polls released this week, one conducted by the New York Times and Siena College and the other by PRRI, a nonpartisan organization that focuses on the intersection of religion, culture and public policy, provide some fresh answers.

Issues that divide Democrats
Issues that divide Republicans
  • Trump’s speech and behavior: 46 percent of Republicans said they wished that Trump’s speech and behavior was “consistent with previous presidents,” compared to 53 percent who disagreed, per PRRI. That was a popular sentiment with the broader public — 68 percent of American adults and 84 percent of Democrats wished Trump acted more like his predecessors.
  • A public health insurance option: 45 percent of Republicans supported a government-operated health insurance plan that all Americans could enroll in, while 47 percent opposed this idea, according to the New York Times/Siena poll. This was also a popular idea overall — 67 percent of Americans, including 87 percent of Democrats, supported a public option.
  • State and local government policies to limit the spread of COVID-19, such as requirements to wear masks: 56 percent of Republicans said state and local governments are taking “reasonable steps to protect people,” while 43 percent said those moves are “unreasonable attempts to control people,” per PRRI. These policies were broadly popular — 76 percent of Americans, including 94 percent of Democrats, said state and local governments were taking reasonable steps.
  • A mini-Green New Deal: 46 percent of Republicans opposed a “$2 trillion plan to increase the use of renewable energy and build energy-efficient infrastructure,” and 45 percent of Republicans supported it, according to the New York Times/Siena survey. The question referred neither to Biden nor to the “Green New Deal.” (The former vice president has a $2 trillion proposal that focuses on both improving America’s infrastructure and reducing the nation’s use of fossil fuels. It’s basically a shrunken-down version of the Green New Deal.) It’s quite possible that support for this proposal would be much lower among Republicans if the question cast it as, say, “Joe Biden’s version of the Green New Deal.” But it’s interesting that the concept of a more modest Green New Deal is not that unpopular with Republicans. Sixty-six percent of Americans, including 89 percent of Democrats, supported this idea.
  • Getting a COVID-19 vaccine: 54 percent of Republicans said they would “probably” or “definitely” get a vaccine for COVID-19 if it were approved by the FDA, and 40 percent said they “probably” or “definitely” would not get it, per the New York Times/Siena survey. Sixty-one percent of Americans, including 69 percent of Democrats, said they would “probably” or “definitely” get the vaccine.
  • The levels of discrimination Black and Hispanic Americans face: About half of Republicans (52 percent) said that Black Americans face “a lot” of discrimation, and about half (47 percent) said that they don’t, per PRRI. Forty-five percent of Republicans agreed that Hispanic Americans face a lot of discrimation, compared to 53 percent who disagreed. Most Americans overall (75 percent) and Democrats (92 percent) said that Black Americans face a lot of discrimination. The numbers were similar but slightly lower for discrimination against Hispanic Americans: 69 percent of Americans and 86 percent of Democrats said that they face a lot of discrimination.
  • Immigration policy: Republicans are about equally split on allowing the separation of families at the border (45 percent supported, 53 percent opposed), protecting people who were brought to the U.S. as children but are not citizens from deportation (45 percent supported, 54 percent opposed) and creating a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants (48 percent supported such a pathway, 38 percent said they should be deported, and 14 percent said they should be allowed to become legal residents but not become citizens). A clear majority of Americans overall opposed separating families at the border (76 percent) and supported a pathway to citizenship (64 percent), as well as granting legal resident status to immigrants who would benefit from either the DREAM Act or DACA, commonly referred to as “Dreamers” (66 percent).
  • A universal basic income: 52 percent of Republicans supported guaranteeing all Americans a minimum income, compared to 48 percent who opposed such an idea, per PRRI. Seventy percent of Americans overall, including 88 percent of Democrats, supported a UBI.
You may have noticed both that there are more dividing issues listed here among Republicans than Democrats, and that there are a lot of ideas that split the Republican Party but are fairly popular among Americans. Part of that may be the nature of these surveys — a different set of questions might have found more splits among Democrats. But there’s an important explanation that gets at the parties’ divergent strategies.

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Unsurprisingly to me, about half of Republicans support pretty progressive policies involving higher spending on public health insurance, renewable energy infrastructure and UBI.

Reparations has more support with the Democratic Party than I expected. I could see this becoming a key issue in a few election cycles if support for this continues to grow either within the Democratic Party or among independents.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Unsurprisingly to me, about half of Republicans support pretty progressive policies involving higher spending on public health insurance, renewable energy infrastructure and UBI.

Reparations has more support with the Democratic Party than I expected. I could see this becoming a key issue in a few election cycles if support for this continues to grow either within the Democratic Party or among independents.

The "new right" tends to support left wing economic policy coupled with immigration restriction and social conservatism

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The "new right" tends to support left wing economic policy coupled with immigration restriction and social conservatism
Which is at least somewhat respectable, far and beyond the trash that represents the party at the current time

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
i guess its the poor southern whites in the party. the same constituency that were the strongest supporters of the New Deal, but are extremely culturally and socially conservative

i also think there probably isnt much overlap between the republicans who support policies like a public option and the ones who thought black people face a lot of discrimination

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
all of this tells me we'd make a lot more progress if we were in a parliamentary system as opposed to an ever-increasing bipartisan presidential system. "most people" agree with many of the better for society proposals (except reparations :comeon: ), if we didn't have these policies tied to presidents, along party lines, we'd be a few steps further in the right direction by now.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
all of this tells me we'd make a lot more progress if we were in a parliamentary system as opposed to an ever-increasing bipartisan presidential system. "most people" agree with many of the better for society proposals (except reparations :comeon: ), if we didn't have these policies tied to presidents, along party lines, we'd be a few steps further in the right direction by now.
There you go.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Which is at least somewhat respectable, far and beyond the trash that represents the party at the current time

Nah they're actually worse. They're the ones who worship Trump and either condone or flat out support white Nationalism.

They support left wing economics because they think it will help white Americans start families again. And they worship the police and claim that George Floyd died of a fentanyl overdoss.

Note that I'm referring to the twitter activist type. The average Trump supporter doesn't think that deeply about it.
i guess its the poor southern whites in the party. the same constituency that were the strongest supporters of the New Deal, but are extremely culturally and socially conservative

i also think there probably isnt much overlap between the republicans who support policies like a public option and the ones who thought black people face a lot of discrimination

You are right. The ones who are left wing on economics tend to think that racism doesn't exist unless it's against white people. It's basically NazBol shyt.

Darren Beattie, Columbia Bugle, Michelle Malkin, and most notably Tucker Carlson are the talking heads for this fusionism.

Oh and Nick Fuentes is an awful person and has a huge following, his movement attracts lots of young white incels.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Also, the "populist" conservatives I mentioned are so delusional. They think that Trump is an amazing conservative and that the party needs to revolve around him. They seem to rather prefer the Dems win than a non-Trump Republican.

They view conservatism as a binary of Neocons vs them, with no other alternatives. Even though Trump is basically a Neocon, but they're in denial and won't admit it.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
ding ding ding

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:salute:

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker

:ohhh: Funny how that works.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
If Biden wins, I think immigration will be a big issue again in 2021. It will be a wedge issue with the woke left vs the moderate left and the nationalist right vs the moderate right.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Nah, this year completely killed the immigration conversation - covid put health care on the summer jam screen tho, so between health care, higher working wage (and other covid exposed re: wage and service workers), protecting economic growth while getting the bottom earners and hurt industries back on track, finding a vaccine and then social justice reform, and clean energy, we ain’t seriously looking at immigration for another 2-3 years - right on time for the next election cycle when candidates will need to share their vision