The myth of Wilt Chamberlain's unstoppable offense

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
In multiple recent threads, people have claimed that Wilt Chamberlain would be absolutely unstoppable today. They say he would be an automatic title contender, that he would average 35 or 40 points a game, that no one in the modern era could guard him, etc.

Now, forget for a second that modern players are taller, bigger, more athletic, Blacker, and much more skilled than your average guy on the court in the 1960s. When Wilt was a rookie in 1960, there were literally only 3 other players over 6'8".

Also forget for a second that the zone was specifically instituted to make life more difficult for Shaq, the player with the closest impact to Wilt in recent memory.

Also forget that Wilt played the first part of his career with a 12-foot lane, which allowed him to camp practically right next to the basket. Wilt led the league in scoring 5 out of 5 years with a 12-foot lane, and only once more in the 10 years after the lane was expanded to 16 feet.

But lets set aside for a moment that playing against bigger, stronger, better competition with zone defenses and a 16-foot lane would make life for difficult for a center who only scores close to the basket on isos. Let's, for a moment, ONLY focus on what Wilt did in his own era.

Because Wilt was never unstoppable on offense even in his own time. :lupe:

Everyone focuses on Wilt's huge regular season numbers. But in the 1960s, few teams played meaningful defense during the regular season - instead, they just ran up and down the court taking the first shot available. The average # of possessions for an NBA team was 150 at one point (now it's only 100), and even average teams scored 115 points a game despite not having a three-point line and the average player not really being able to shoot. Running up and down the court like that, no one had any energy for defense, so it wasn't played most of the time.

I don't care about Wilt's regular season stats - in that environment, they're almost meaningless. Let's take a look at what he did in the playoffs, when teams started clamping down and trying on defense (though still not anything near the effort they reached in the 1990s and beyond).

In the playoffs, Wilt Chamberlain was NEVER "unstoppable" on offense. :ohhh:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Here is Wilt's full record of accomplishment in the playoffs:

1960: Outplayed 6’9” 220lb Connie Dierking in the 1st round before crumbling against Russell in the next. Threatens to retire after the season because he didn’t like all the double-teams and hard fouls.

Oh, and here's that Boston team that was doubling Wilt. #15 is supposedly 6'7" and the biggest player other than Russell, but he doesn't look a shade over 6'5". Who the hell was giving him trouble on the double-team?

espndb_1962nbachamp_576.jpg

1961: Loses in a 1st-round sweep to the Syracuse Nationals and “Swede Halbrook”, a 7’3” alcoholic who only lasted 2 years in the league with a career average of 6 ppg.

1962: Beat Swede and the Nationals before losing to Russell's skinny 220lb ass again.

442px-Wilt_Chamberlain_Bill_Russell.jpg

1963: Missed the playoffs.

1964: Beat the Hawks and 6’9”, 225lb 2nd-year center Zelmo Beaty before losing to Russell again.

1965: Beat the Royals and 6’8” 240lb Wayne Embry before losing to Russell yet again. This is the season that Wilt got public notoriety for calling the NBA a "bush league" and criticizing his teammates, coaches, and the NBA administration.

1966: Lost to Russell after a 1st-round bye. There was massive internal team issues as Wilt refused to live in Philly and refused to wake up early for practice, meaning the team had to schedule practice at 4pm so he could wake up at noon and then commute from New York. During the conference finals he just stopped showing up for practices altogether. In the fukking conference finals.

At this point, Wilt was 7 years into his career and only had 4 playoff series wins, against guys named Connie, Swede, Zelmo, and Wayne, only one of whom was over 6’9”.

In the remaining 7 years of his career, he will average under 20ppg in 4 of his 7 playoff runs and never again average higher than 23.7ppg for a postseason.

1967: Beat the Royals and 6’9” Connie Dierking, then finally beat the Celtics and 6’9” Russell, and won the title against the Warriors and 6’11” Nate Thurmond, who held Wilt to 18ppg despite not having a teammate over 6’8”. Wilt was playing with three Hall of Famers (Billy Cunningham, Hal Greer, and Chet Walker) and incredibly finished fifth on his own team in scoring as he had four teammates average 20ppg or more for the Finals while the opposing Warriors only had one (Rick Barry, who averaged 40ppg on 40% shooting). Wilt might have been a fifth guy with 20ppg if he hadn’t gone 22 for 72 from the line for the series, a 30.6% clip.

The team that Wilt finished 5th on scoring in a Finals for. #14, #25, and #32 are in the Hall of Fame.

196776ers.jpg

1968: Beat the Knicks and 6’11” Walt Bellamy before losing to Russell again, blowing a 3-1 lead and being accused of giving up when he doesn't attempt a single shot in the second half of Game 7 (He had 14 points on 4-9 shooting and 6-14 from the line during the game.). Fun fact – the 1968 Celtics that beat Wilt still didn’t have a single player listed over 220lbs.

After the series Wilt threatens to leave for the ABA if he’s not traded to the Lakers. He gets his wish and teams up with Laker stars Jerry West and Elgin Baylor.

1969: Only manages 12ppg and is outscored by 6’11” Nate Thurmond but beats the Warriors in the first round, then 19ppg and outscored by 6’9” 225lb Zelmo Beaty in the 2nd round, before averaging 11.7ppg on 50% shooting and 37.5% free throws in getting embarrassed by 35-year-old Russell and the Celtics in the Finals. Wilt doesn’t hit 20 points in a single game in the Finals and scores in the single-digits three times against a Celtics team that didn’t play anyone over 6’7” besides Russell. Jerry West averaged 38-7-6 for the Lakers on 50% shooting and Elgin Baylor had 20 and 10, but they still lost. Wilt sits for the final 5 minutes of Game 7 with a knee injury. After the game, Russell accuses him of faking it because he was scared of the moment.

1970: Beat 6’10” rookie Neal Walk and the Suns in 7 games in the first round, then Bellamy again (though Bellamy outscored him for the series), before losing to the Knicks and 6’9” Willis Reed, who destroyed him in the first four games (outscoring Wilt 37 to 17, 29 to 19, 38 to 21, and 23 to 19) before getting hurt in Game 5. Yet despite the injury that forced him to limp up and down the court, Reed came back in Game 7 and carried the Knicks to victory defending Wilt, who only had 21 in the game. The Knicks literally didn’t have a center who could play NBA ball other than Reed, yet Chamberlain still couldn’t win against stiffs and 6’7” forwards in Game 5 or a hurt Reed in Game 7.

s-l300.jpg

1971: Barely gets by the Bulls in the first round in 7, averaging 16ppg against 6’10” Jim Fox. In the second round with West and Baylor hurt, Wilt gets outplayed by Kareem and the Lakers lose in four blowouts.

1972: Outscored 34ppg to 11ppg by Kareem in the first round, but McMillan/West/Goodrich carry the Lakers to victory, then gets outscored 15ppg to 14ppg by 6’9” rookie center Clifford Ray in the 2nd round, before winning the Finals against a Knicks team that had lost Reed and was now starting 6’8” Jerry Lucas at center. Lucas outscores Wilt 21ppg to 19ppg but can’t overcome dominant Goodrich/West/McMillan.

This is 1972, and Wilt Chamberlain wins his Finals MVP by averaging 19ppg and 23rpg against a Knicks team whose only players over 6’6” were 6’8” Jerry Lucas and 6’8” Phil Jackson.

e63ea882de4ad614bfb1feb249e61b7b.jpg

Here’s that fukking team. Remember, #19, #32, and #40 weren’t playing in the Finals, so only #18 Phil Jackson and #6 Jerry Lucas were there to bang with Wilt inside. That’s the team that Wilt won his single Finals MVP against and he STILL got outscored by that soft-looking 6’8” White guy Lucas.

1973: Barely gets by the Bulls in 7 games, outscoring 6’10” career stiff Dennis Awtrey 12ppg to 7ppg. Then dominated by Nate Thurmund (17ppg to 7ppg) in the WCF but Lakers win anyway behind Goodrich/West/McMillan. Loses in the Finals again to 6’9” Willis Reed and the Knicks, who outscores him 16ppg to 11ppg, with Wilt scoring 5 points each in Game 2 and Game 3 losses.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That’s Wilt's playoff career. Even in the 1960s, when the average height and weight in the NBA was FAR lower than it is today and skills/athleticism were incomparably rudimentary, he was stopped and/or controlled by smaller centers over, and over, and over again. Why do people seriously think that taller, heavier, thicker, more athletic, more skilled centers who have the advantage of a larger key and zone defenses wouldn’t be able to stop him today?

I ain't saying that he would be a scrub. He would still be a great center. But he's not unstoppable. People going way overboard claiming that he would dominate the league today or is a lock for top-5 all-time simply because of what he did in the regular season in against a bunch of short White guys in the 1960s.

Oh, and this is the required photo of Wilt’s team, circa 1962, the year he set the (regular season) scoring record.

Philadelphia+Warriors+1961-1962++15.jpg

The sickly-looking #17 is Joe Ruklick, supposedly 6’9” and 220lbs. The fat dude in #9 is Frank Radovich, 6’8” and 235lbs. They were both worthless as basketball players. No one else on the team breaks 6’6” or 215lbs.

This is Joe Ruklick on how he made the Philly roster:

"I was 23 years old and having fun, but sitting the bench wasn't fun," he said. "He said, 'We need you next year. Fans won't buy tickets if you have too many Negroes.' I went and told my wife. She said, 'You mean you're on this team because you're white?' 'Well, yeah.' So I went to New York to look for a job (outside of basketball)."

Stan an era where worthless White guys were added to the team just so there wouldn't be "too many Negros" and the fans would buy tickets.

:snoop:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Why are you on a quest to crush a hall of famer who has been dead for years? Did somebody ask for research on this?

This is the first thread I've ever done about Wilt, and if you have seen my posts in the past you'll know that in the two years I've been on this site I've rarely talked about him. I have him on my all-time top-10.

But people have just been making up bullshyt, and I wanted to set the record straight. When I do that, I do it in full.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The motivating factor for this debacle of a thread. A whole thread dedicated to downing the great Wilt? I can't respect that.:hhh:

Do you have alternative facts? :mjgrin:
I was primarily clowning Wilt's opponents, not Wilt. And they (other than Russell, Thurmond, Kareem, and Reed) deserved to be clowned. :pachaha:

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be one of those threads where nobody can say a word against the facts, so they're just going to get into their emotions?

:sas1::sas2:

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Do you have alternative facts? :mjgrin:
I was primarily clowning Wilt's opponents, not Wilt. And they (other than Russell, Thurmond, Kareem, and Reed) deserved to be clowned. :pachaha:

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be one of those threads where nobody can say a word against the facts, so they're just going to get into their emotions?

:sas1::sas2:

You posted your "facts", I didn't refute. What are you hoping for from me?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Sounds like bullshyt.
Not surprising.

If Wilt's era is so soft why didn't Russell do the same thing he did? Why didn't Mikan before him do the same thing he did?
Wilt was told with the 76ers to not focus on scoring and get assists, it would be what got his team a championship.
On offense a shot Kareem stuggled to consistantly defend a Wilt on 1 leg, while Wilt was smacking the shyt out of that unblockable sky hook. Wilt always got the best of Russell offensively. Also remember, while the players might have been less athletic, the defenses allowed against Wilt and Bill were nothing but legalized muggings, the refs allowed them to be punched, elbowed, slapped and everything in between, they called it mauling defense. If Wilt could score when "defense' like that was allowed, just think what he could do in the current era where you can't even hand check. He would be unguardable in the post.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In multiple recent threads, people have claimed that Wilt Chamberlain would be absolutely unstoppable today. They say he would be an automatic title contender, that he would average 35 or 40 points a game, that no one in the modern era could guard him, etc.

Now, forget for a second that modern players are taller, bigger, more athletic, Blacker, and much more skilled than your average guy on the court in the 1960s. When Wilt was a rookie in 1960, there were literally only 3 other players over 6'8".

Also forget for a second that the zone was specifically instituted to make life more difficult for Shaq, the player with the closest impact to Wilt in recent memory.

Also forget that Wilt played the first part of his career with a 12-foot lane, which allowed him to camp practically right next to the basket. Wilt led the league in scoring 5 out of 5 years with a 12-foot lane, and only once more in the 10 years after the lane was expanded to 16 feet.

But lets set aside for a moment that playing against bigger, stronger, better competition with zone defenses and a 16-foot lane would make life for difficult for a center who only scores close to the basket on isos. Let's, for a moment, ONLY focus on what Wilt did in his own era.

Because Wilt was never unstoppable on offense even in his own time. :lupe:

Everyone focuses on Wilt's huge regular season numbers. But in the 1960s, few teams played meaningful defense during the regular season - instead, they just ran up and down the court taking the first shot available. The average # of possessions for an NBA team was 150 at one point (now it's only 100), and even average teams scored 115 points a game despite not having a three-point line and the average player not really being able to shoot. Running up and down the court like that, no one had any energy for defense, so it wasn't played most of the time.

I don't care about Wilt's regular season stats - in that environment, they're almost meaningless. Let's take a look at what he did in the playoffs, when teams started clamping down and trying on defense (though still not anything near the effort they reached in the 1990s and beyond).

In the playoffs, Wilt Chamberlain was NEVER "unstoppable" on offense. :ohhh:
what :francis: