Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I thought that's what they were already doing with the Avengers with Blue Marvel and Miss America, Captain Marvel and Galactus.

I stopped reading comic books after how wack Black Panther was.

Coates doesn't seem to subscribe to radical feminism, but, it seemed like it bothered him to make T'Challa heroic.

He told Fan Bros (which I've had to stop listening to for the same liberal, we-are-the-world) something to the effect that King's aren't heroic or do heroic.

:dahell: Like, fam, it's a comic book. Make him a King and hero.

:lupe: Please direct me to that issue.

I'm buying Rise of Black Panther right now.
Yea Coates was on some bullshyt out the gate. It completely escaped him that in a world where there's a giant purple helmet wearing white man that eats planets and a talking rac00n with a chopper, that it's entirely possible for a king to be "heroic". It'd be like someone looking at Batman and thinking "privileged trust fund baby with Rothschild wealth uses aggressive force on inner city "criminals" while living Donald Trump playboy lifestyle huh? :mjpls:" and running wild with those connotations lol

But after seeing Coogler's interpretation, perhaps a light bulb switched on that 1) you can address real world politics/issues without trying to force the character and mytho into being something they never were and 2) the character is heroic and a king, and can balance it well, and it doesn't matter if it's "realistic". No more so than how realistic it is for another trust fund baby to step into a flying militarized armored suit and battle asian stereotypes with magic rings.

It was last month's issue #171, where the reset button seemed to be pressed. Okoye reintroduced after being gone for like 15 years, Doras love BP again, BP's suit had a moment straight out of the movies, oh and "Wakanda forever" arm cross. Oh and BP actually doing soime BP things with his intellect and cunning. I almost couldn't believe it.

teacher

All Star
Daps
Yea Coates was on some bullshyt out the gate. It completely escaped him that in a world where there's a giant purple helmet wearing white man that eats planets and a talking rac00n with a chopper, that it's entirely possible for a king to be "heroic". It'd be like someone looking at Batman and thinking "privileged trust fund baby with Rothschild wealth uses aggressive force on inner city "criminals" while living Donald Trump playboy lifestyle huh? :mjpls:" and running wild with those connotations lol

But after seeing Coogler's interpretation, perhaps a light bulb switched on that 1) you can address real world politics/issues without trying to force the character and mytho into being something they never were and 2) the character is heroic and a king, and can balance it well, and it doesn't matter if it's "realistic". No more so than how realistic it is for another trust fund baby to step into a flying militarized armored suit and battle asian stereotypes with magic rings.

It was last month's issue #171, where the reset button seemed to be pressed. Okoye reintroduced after being gone for like 15 years, Doras love BP again, BP's suit had a moment straight out of the movies, oh and "Wakanda forever" arm cross. Oh and BP actually doing soime BP things with his intellect and cunning. I almost couldn't believe it.

With 172 seems they brought ororo and t’challa back together...I’m tight they resetting the numbers back I wanted issue 200.

Last edited:

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Alright brehs, I had to take a 7 month hiatus and I'm going back in deep. I was last doin a couple BP books, Foolkiller, Angela, Deathstroke, X-Men, Moon Knight, Walking Dead.. Aside from trying to figure out where I left off, these still running or good???

I know Angela got with the Guardians too, read that. Let a breh know what's really good reads now I should check. I did read thread to avoid story spoilers.

The new movie related shyt you recommend too.

Still busy but daps and reps, gotta quote cause like I said gotta catch up before I read thread.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
With 172 seems they brought ororo and t’challa back together...I’m tight they resetting the numbers back I wanted issue 100.
With Storm, I have one main issue with her [well two, if we count the BS the x-office and Jason Aaron did once Hudlin left the BP books].

The problem i have was in full display in #172, and it's not due to Coates writing bc this actually goes back to Hudlin's run: You put Storm in there and the rest of Wakanda takes a step back to her in importance [and/or facetime, if we're talking about Hudlin]. TNC actually did a good effort of peppering in BP's actual supporting cast and propping up BP's own machinations though.

Still, I didn't like BP/Shuri/Wakanda essentially being helpless to save themselves and having to kneel/bow down to empower Storm to save them.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Hell, per Ultimates #100, BP has possession of what is essentially a pokeball containing a cosmic sabertooth tiger god [think like White Tiger, but on a galactus level scale] that he can possess, so this issue would've been a great opportunity to tie into Al Ewing's run and have T'Challa pop the trunk with that shyt.

That way the victory is still by Wakandan means. Hell part of my curiosity of this next arc with intergalactic empire is because it seems to be a self-contained wakandan story with wakandan characters.

teacher

All Star
Daps
Hell, per Ultimates #100, BP has possession of what is essentially a pokeball containing a cosmic sabertooth tiger god [think like White Tiger, but on a galactus level scale] that he can possess, so this issue would've been a great opportunity to tie into Al Ewing's run and have T'Challa pop the trunk with that shyt.

That way the victory is still by Wakandan means. Hell part of my curiosity of this next arc with intergalactic empire is because it seems to be a self-contained wakandan story with wakandan characters.

This intergalactic thing kind ofd sounds like it might be similar to Black Bolt’s new books which is real good IMO.

and

Storm saving wakanda>>>>goofy azz everett ross helping/saving wakanda

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
This intergalactic thing kind ofd sounds like it might be similar to Black Bolt’s new books which is real good IMO.

and

Storm saving wakanda>>>>goofy azz everett ross helping/saving wakanda

Both of them can kick rocks as far as i'm concerned, Wakanda doesn't need em.

TNC has a chance for a fresh start with intergalactic empire, and what he's said about it implies that he's revamping his approach to make the look, feel and pace be night and day from the first couple seasons. We gon see, bc that Nakia, M'Baku, T'Challa adventure could be big if done well