201147.png

• Capela
  • Dekker
  • McDaniels
  • Terry
  • Thornton
printable-houston-rockets-schedule.jpg

1957708_10152892856693453_8141528899780237708_o.jpg

@THASTUNNA @THE K-MAN @King Jove @vybzinc @Soundwave @who_better_than_me @Hiphoplives4eva @Charlie Broadway @Sulcage @skb1065

I saw a few offseason threads but not the reg one. If yall got an official slogan in mind for the title, just let me know and i'll edit.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Daryl Morey: Rockets Already Have Makings Of Championship Team

Daryl Morey is confident in the Houston Rockets' title chances this season after keeping most of their core in tact and adding Ty Lawson.

"If you look historically, championship teams have two or three elite-level players, and they're usually together for a bit," Morey said. "I expect this group to be together for a while.

"If this year we don't make it as far as we want, which is all the way to the LOB (Larry O'Brien trophy), I would expect to bring most of this group back, because the group we assembled is good enough to win. We have to prove that on the court, but I don't think you look at it and say there are obvious things that need to be changed for us to be a championship team."

The Rockets' title chances begin with James Harden and Dwight Howard.

"Let's be clear: There's a lot of execution to go from here to there," Morey said. "We have what we think is the top player at two positions (Harden and Howard), and we have very, very solid pieces to work around them all the way to players eight through 10.

"A lot of teams that look good on paper, like I think we do, don't finish it. But we have all the components."

I would say this is the best Rockets team on paper since that '09 squad with T-Mac Yao Artest Battier, Scola, Brooks, etc. Somewhat bad timing as they're going to go up against arguably the best roster (age aside) that the Spurs have ever had on paper and a likely more matured/poised version of that historic GState squad. But if Houston's chemistry is there (along with the health), they're going to be right there at the end...

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
30 Teams, 30 Days: Rockets pin growth on Lawson

30 Teams, 30 Days: Rockets pin growth on Lawson

Since the Warriors grabbed their first NBA title in 40 years in June, NBA teams have undergone a number of changes over the summer break. NBA.com will evaluate the state of each franchise in the month of September with a look at 30 teams in 30 days.

Today's Team: Houston Rockets | All 30 Teams

Who's gone: Josh Smith

Who's new: Ty Lawson, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Dekker

The Lowdown: Everyone saw it last season. As good as the Rockets were, and as deep as they went into the playoffs, they had a glaring and eventually costly deficiency. They needed a point guard.

Yes, Patrick Beverley was out with an injury, but that's not the point. Even with Beverley healthy, the Rockets lacked a reliable playmaker to relieve James Harden of the ball-handling duties. Arguably, that was the difference-maker between the Rockets and the other superpowers in the West, and perhaps the entire NBA.

Not only did the Rockets get a point guard this summer, but one who's a borderline All-Star with a tight handle, rim-attacking tendencies and a decent jumper. And he came cheap from the Nuggets; he only cost the Rockets a plate of chicken enchiladas from Papasito's.

Ty Lawson Traded to Rockets

Did the Rockets get a steal with this pickup or is Lawson "damaged goods?"

"We're happy to have him," Harden said.

What's the catch? Well, with Ty Lawson, you must read the fine print.

And it says Lawson, for all of his talent, could be a mistake-in-waiting, that he has a history of being ticketed for alcohol-related issues, and that before arriving in Houston he checked into rehab.

Does he still sound like a steal? Well, only he can answer that, and only with his sobriety and willingness to wise up and mature and start acting like a professional who loves basketball more than anything in the world. That's usually not a lot to ask, but we're dealing with a player with a few too many strikes against him, a player given all the chances in the world in Denver. What makes anyone believe Lawson will suddenly fly straight this time?

Well, the Rockets really didn't have much to lose. And one of the best ways to fill a void is by getting a distressed player. Meaning, a good player who, for some reason (usually bad), is no longer wanted and can be had for 50 cents on the dollar. Players who fit this description in the past: Dennis Rodman, Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, etc. The Rockets' point guard situation is that dire. Sometimes a change in scenery is what's needed, and maybe now Lawson has teammates he respects. Does he really want to let Harden down?

Kevin McHale Interview

Houston head coach Kevin McHale chats with the guys about the state of the Rockets.

With Lawson on the ball, Harden is free to float and doesn't need to bring the ball upcourt or dribble 10 seconds off the clock while going iso-ball. Hopefully his ego will allow him to turn the ball over to Lawson and play a different role. If so, the Rockets will be less predictable and perhaps more dangerous offensively.

The summer was all about Lawson because the Rockets didn't make any significant changes, unless you fell for the idea that Josh Smith was in Houston for the long-term. He wasn't. As much as the Rockets needed him in the playoffs, especially in their comeback against the Clippers, Smith was too sloppy and unpredictable. His bad habits (shooting 3s and making wrong decisions) always seemed to arrive and hurt the Rockets. Now that he's older, Smith can't rely on his supreme athletic skills to bail him out, and must lean more on pure basketball instincts, which are deadly most of the time.

They'll welcome a pair of rookies in Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrell, a pair of forwards from high-profile college programs who might crack the rotation. Dekker is very athletic but a spotty shooter; Harrell is a banger whose mean streak compensates for his lack of shooting and dribbling. Of course, Rockets coach Kevin McHale doesn't rely on rookies, not at this stage, so any improvement by the Rockets will likely come from their returning rotation.

Therefore, there are big plans for Clint Capela and Donatas Montiejunas, as Houston hopes they can step to the forefront and become valuable role players as the team continues to build around Harden and Dwight Howard.

But this is all about Lawson and if he stays straight and if he represents another coup for GM Daryl Morey. If Lawson walks the straight and narrow, he and Harden could rate among the best backcourts in the NBA. It depends on where Lawson's priorities are right now. Count Harden as a believer.

"He's more focused than ever," Harden said. "He gives us that quickness, that speed, playmaking ability, something that we were missing, especially deep in the playoffs. We're going to welcome him with open arms."

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Curious to see the distribution of minutes. Its a lot of depth. I hope capella sees a nice increase in minutes played. Them rookies need to head to the dleague.

If lawson is the player he was in denver we have to be favorites.

All it really comes down to is health.