The Official New York Area and Upstate Discussion Thread

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I grew up in the Bx.
Everything North of Pelham Pkwy. was considered Upstate when I was a kid.
I have a more nuanced understanding of NYS at this point in my life and take offense to those cities other than Albany being considered "upstate".

I always thought it was just jokes when people would refer to westchester as upstate. Even the Hudson valley. But come to find out people were being serious. Those same people though usually were probably limited to their neighborhood or borough :manny:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I always thought it was just jokes when people would refer to westchester as upstate. Even the Hudson valley. But come to find out people were being serious. Those same people though usually were probably limited to their neighborhood or borough :manny:

That's exactly what it is. My grandma never left the block, all she knew was a couple square miles around her. Going to Yonkers was going on a trip for me when I was a kid. Bear Mnt. was upstate to me. Had fam in the Catskills and that was most def Upstate to me as a kid. As an adult who has lived all over NYS, I know for a fact that someone from Western NY will stop you real quick if you call them Upstate.

So...what is Upstate? :jbhmm:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
That's exactly what it is. My grandma never left the block, all she knew was a couple square miles around her. Going to Yonkers was going on a trip for me when I was a kid. Bear Mnt. was upstate to me. Had fam in the Catskills and that was most def Upstate to me as a kid. As an adult who has lived all over NYS, I know for a fact that someone from Western NY will stop you real quick if you call them Upstate.

So...what is Upstate? :jbhmm:

Probably north of port Jervis. Furthest north metro north goes. Let City transportation make this call maybe..seems somewhat logical :manny:

polio68

All Star
Daps
Anything above poughkeepsie is upstate.
Someone from Binghamton was very upset that I said they were "upstate". They're considered Southern Tier.

They're still upstate to me.
:umad:
That's Western NY. A lot of people from that region don't consider it the same as the rest of upstate.

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
Western NY, Central NY, Southern Tier, Finger Lakes, etc are all divided subregions of Upstate NY meaning they're still Upstate NY cities but because of having different cultures and characteristics each city is broken into a subregions such as the aforementioned categories above.

Basically “Upstate” is the easier broader umbrella-like term used because of all the different subregions it becomes complicated especially if you're not from the state.

Those subregional terms are used to break down the differences in culture and characteristics since none of those cities share anything in common with the rest of Downstate (NYC, Long Island, Westchester, etc) nor with each other despite being apart of the same Upstate NY tree.

Upstate NY feels more Midwestern (characteristically and culturally) than East coast compared to the rest of Downstate NY.

Last edited: