The Political Solution for African-Americans is Our Own Political Party

Should we have an African-American political party?

• Yes

Votes: 58 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
First, it's not strange or unethical for ethnic groups to have their own party vehicles for their political interests. African-Americans are actually an ethnic group within the United States that has been formed by the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and shaped by the American Apartheid (Jim Crow). In other countries, ethnic groups have their own parties. In the UK, there's the Scottish Nationalist Party. In Canada, there's the Parti Quebecois. In India, there's the Sikh political party of SAD.

These ethnic groups have their own political parties because they recognize that their interests are unique and distinct. Moreover, their ability to obtain public goods and services are harmed by joining other political parties. Although African-Americans are a key voting bloc for the Democrats, very few of our concerns are addressed. Even when the US President IS a self-identified African-American (Barack Obama). We need a political party which will cater to our interests in order to gain what is ours!

Let's construct the hypothetical African-American political party.

The African Freedom Congress
k1fLV.png

Goals should be simple, for now: Increased political autonomy for African-Americans. Stronger social safety net to address poor socio-economic conditions geared towards Black people. Reparations for stolen land, labour and wealth. Increased connections with the African diaspora and African continent. Entice Black people to become the majority of states such as South Carolina, Mississippi and Georgia via migration.

The party should operate solely in municipal, gubernatorial and congressional elections.

Why not Presidential elections?
We can't win. African Americans are 13 per cent of the US population and will rise to 15 per cent by mid-century. What we can do is our political leverage in an increasingly polarizing US to move at least one major political party towards us.

Why municipal elections?
We are the demographic majority in major cities.

Why gubernatorial elections?
To protect our gains in the pockets of black political autonomy located in cities. To act as a spoiler vote similar to how we'd function during Presidential elections.

Why congressional elections?
To incentivize more legislation which will directly benefit us. They (at least one party) will need our votes in order to pass bills.

@KidStranglehold @Poitier

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Honestly, thanks for making this thread. This is something I thought about. I have already chosen not to vote during this election although some have told me that it's a shame to my ancestors. We need our own party!

Thank you. I've been suggesting this in posts for a bit but I decided to start a thread so we can have a real conversation about it.

Let's note that some may say that having Af-Ams in the Democratic Party is better. But it's harder to keep those people accountable because although our people elect them, their money comes from mostly white donors. They get positions in the party through mostly white party elites. There's a greater level of separation between us and them in the Democratic Party.

One would hope with a African Freedom Congress, there would be greater affinity between Black voters and the appointed leadership class. Thoughts?

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Thank you. I've been suggesting this in posts for a bit but I decided to start a thread so we can have a real conversation about it.

Let's note that some may say that having Af-Ams in the Democratic Party is better. But it's harder to keep those people accountable because although our people elect them, their money comes from mostly white donors. They get positions in the party through mostly white party elites. There's a greater level of separation between us and them in the Democratic Party.

One would hope with a African Freedom Congress, there would be greater affinity between Black voters and the appointed leadership class. Thoughts?
I think that's the crux of the issue, when an elected official has gotten their position through donations or appointments from the white elite they're not for you. They represent the white elite they're just there to say that they have a black politician. The congressional black caucus is disgusting.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
I think that's the crux of the issue, when an elected official has gotten their position through donations or appointments from the white elite they're not for you. They represent the white elite they're just there to say that they have a black politician. The congressional black caucus is disgusting.

They're the Black mis-leadership class!

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Now, a potential drawback would be if both sets of America's white elites (GOP and Democrats) decide to collaborate against us. I'm not sure how likely that would be given the increasing left-right polarization in the United States. :patrice:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Amen

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
They're the Black mis-leadership class!
The party must be exclusive. It's you're with our agenda or die. Eventually, it could be world wide. We mustn't fear being exclusive. The diaspora is very powerful.

Now, a potential drawback would be if both sets of America's white elites (GOP and Democrats) decide to collaborate against us. I'm not sure how likely that would be given the increasing left-right polarization in the United States. :patrice:
Probably would happen simply because everyone hates black autonomy.