The Ring's Boxing Fantasy Fight Tournament Nomination Thread: Heavyweight Edition

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
when fighters are put in a head 2 head match up you got to think about these things if you want to be realistic. jack johnson in his 4 ounce gloves is a factor. joe louis letting off all those short quick 6-7 punch combos in his little 6 ounce gloves is a different fighter stylistically you throw him in a pair of bigger softer ten ounce gloves. 10 ounce gloves were sparring gloves in his era. you could do it how you want to. but you have to have a cut off point somewhere. you might as well throw all the old bareknuckle fighters in if not. ali and frazier fought each other in 8 ounce gloves i would set the cut off point to at least that so you dont have ridiculous type of match ups of like you would have throwing jack johnson in with a heavyweight from the modern era. jack johnson vs john ruiz. think of how that would even look.
So you are just intent on being "that guy" huh?

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
:birdman:

yes. newzz was right you got to set a cut off point somewhere. a lot of these guys arent even true heavyweights. jack dempsey was 180 pounds.

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

yes. newzz was right you got to set a cut off point somewhere. a lot of these guys arent even true heavyweights. jack dempsey was 180 pounds.

Yeah...and he knocked down a man the exact same size as Klitschko something like 11 times in 3 rds :heh:

Chris Byrd is a blown up Middleweight that has no power is was able to be highly competitive and hold and defend a title several times in an era of massive Heavyweights.

Even a dude like Eddie Chambers...who's basically a fat ass Light Heavyweight was able to routinely beat guys around 240-250 lbs...even knocked down and hurt 6'7" 250 lb Dimentrenko.

No reason to believe Dempsey couldn't do the same to elite Super Heavys if the particular style matchup permits it.

Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science

So your gonna automatically eliminate Floyd Patterson ,Archie Moore, Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano from discussion because the modern era has a different weight limit system?

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
they dont need to be eliminated but theres a lot of problems with head to head matchups across eras in boxing. does dempsey get to wear his 4 oz gloves against klitschko and get to have that advantage? if the heavyweights in the past are undersized then that means they feasted on undersized opponents too. does dempsey destroying what today would be light heavyweights compare to holyfield destroying legit big men? if youre going to be real about who beats who then how do you avoid bringing these questions up? you just ignore all context?

Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science
Look at what Dempsey did to Willard breh 6'61/2 and like 250lb Willard! The same man that KOED Jack Johnson in the 26th round. Think about that shyt for a second breh, Jack Johnson was beating that boys ass for like 20 rounds before the fatigue and the punishing body shots from Willard slowed him down. Dempsey put Willard on his ass 11 times in 3 rounds, broke his jaw, cheekbone, several ribs and knocked out some teeth!!!

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Look at what Dempsey did to Willard breh 6'61/2 and like 250lb Willard! The same man that KOED Jack Johnson in the 26th round. Think about that shyt for a second breh, Jack Johnson was beating that boys ass for like 20 rounds before the fatigue and the punishing body shots from Willard slowed him down. Dempsey put Willard on his ass 11 times in 3 rounds, broke his jaw, cheekbone, several ribs and knocked out some teeth!!!

That was with 4 oz gloves though:ehh:

He could possible do the exact same to one of the Klitschko's if he was wearing 4 oz gloves and they were wearing 10oz gloves:yeshrug:

I didnt think of none of that when this thread was made, but @Yuzo is making some good points brehs. What ABOUT the fact that some Heavyweights (like Jack Johnson) could go 20+ rounds using his 4 oz gloves while David Tua can barely keep up his work rate in 10 oz gloves for only 12 rounds?:mjpls:

Is the tourney a 12 rounder, 15 rounder, or unlimited like in the early days?

What size gloves, because I believe George Foreman or Mike Tyson would win this tournament off jump if they got to use 4 oz gloves:heh:

OR,

We can all shut up and just have some fun with this. It's all fantasy and hypothetical anyways. Take the fighter as they were at their best, so if you picked Dempsey (and he fought in 4 oz gloves), he would be fighting in 4 oz gloves against Lennox Lewis in 10oz gloves:yeshrug:

Let's not over complicate things brehs. Who would win based off their skill and at their best. Or, put them in the same gloves for goodness sakes...it doesnt matter. Muhammad Ali is the GOAT regardless.

Back to picking yall fighters:blessed:

Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science
That was with 4 oz gloves though:ehh:

He could possible do the exact same to one of the Klitschko's if he was wearing 4 oz gloves and they were wearing 10oz gloves:yeshrug:

I didnt think of none of that when this thread was made, but @Yuzo is making some good points brehs. What ABOUT the fact that some Heavyweights (like Jack Johnson) could go 20+ rounds using his 4 oz gloves while David Tua can barely keep up his work rate in 10 oz gloves for only 12 rounds?:mjpls:

Is the tourney a 12 rounder, 15 rounder, or unlimited like in the early days?

What size gloves, because I believe George Foreman or Mike Tyson would win this tournament off jump if they got to use 4 oz gloves:heh:

OR,

We can all shut up and just have some fun with this. It's all fantasy and hypothetical anyways. Take the fighter as they were at their best, so if you picked Dempsey (and he fought in 4 oz gloves), he would be fighting in 4 oz gloves against Lennox Lewis in 10oz gloves:yeshrug:

Let's not over complicate things brehs. Who would win based off their skill and at their best. Or, put them in the same gloves for goodness sakes...it doesnt matter. Muhammad Ali is the GOAT regardless.

Back to picking yall fighters:blessed:

Yes but Jack Johnson was using 4 oz glove when he fought Willard as well and couldn't do close to the damage Jack did in an 1/8 of the time

Anyway when I put Dempsey,Patterson,Moore on my lists I did it with the mindset that there would be some form of compromise between the eras, something like 7 oz gloves, and 15 rounds.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Yes but Jack Johnson was using 4 oz glove when he fought Willard as well and couldn't do close to the damage Jack did in an 1/8 of the time

Anyway when I put Dempsey,Patterson,Moore on my lists I did it with the mindset that there would be some form of compromise between the eras, something like 7 oz gloves, and 15 rounds.

It doesnt really matter to be honest, imo.

I only used the fighters from within the last 50 years, because it's tons footage available for people to break down and see who would really win. It isnt too much footage available of Jack Johnson, Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis etc. so it's kinda harder to gauge in comparision to fighters within the last 50 years.

I didnt take ANY account into size gloves or rounds....just straight from a skill perspective.

Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science
As you said your opinion, and a fair one. Ive probably seen maybe a half dozen of Louis fights maybe 8 of Dempsey fights, I mix that with whats written about them at the time (keeping in mind how a lot of older boxers are romanticized)
and think if nothing else you get enough to include them in the debate.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
See I went into this assuming we were going to do these match-ups like our own version of Fight Night:

uzc505M.jpg

All this talk about size of gloves and shyt is just taking it to a level we don't need to go to.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
And I originally said 10-15, but I'ma up the max to 20.

So if some of ya'll wanna add in a couple more, you can. Just make sure to put that you edited your list when/if you do, so it's easier for me to tally them up.

@Tony Muthafu%*in Tubbs You can add 4 of those extra names you typed out to your list. That's it though lol