The Sports Car Is in Serious Trouble

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
For all of those reasons and more, swanky sports cars are losing momentum in the U.S. of late. Sales in the segment have declined for the past six quarters. Last year, nearly one-third of premium sports car purchases vanished, according to Edmunds.com. The trend is only accelerating this year. There was a 52 percent drop in sales during the first quarter of 2016.

When it comes to the article making its point on this, I don't think sports cars sales are dropping because regular sedans have as much power as sports cars, which is what you believe to be the reason for decreased sports cars sales. I think there are less people in the market for sports cars because there are less buyers in that market, so that decreases demand. When the economy turns around, sports cars sales will go up when more buyers are in that market. When you want a sports car and have the money, then you buy one. If you want a sports sedan and you have the money, then you buy one.

The market is fine though. 2015 was a record year for car sales, and average transaction prices are way up. Sports cars aren't selling because consumer tastes have shifted. It all comes down to what constitutes a status vehicle. Back in the day sporty cars were how people showed they had money. Now it's pickup trucks and SUVs. It doesn't hurt that pickups and SUVs are way more practical too. It's a fundamental shift that has pretty much been a death warrant for sports cars.

I mean just off the top of my head, a lot of these sporty cars were dead and gone long before the recession:

Acura RSX
Chevy Cobalt SS
Ford Probe
Honda Prelude
Mazda MX-6
Mazda RX-7
Mitsubishi 3000GT
Nissan 240SX
Toyota Celica
Toyota Supra

Etc. And a lot more have not recovered. Nissan Z, Audi TT, BMW Z4 etc. It's only icons like the Mustang, Miata, Corvette, 911 still doing numbers. But the overall sports car market is dying. A lot of those people switched to trucks and SUVs.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
23963060031_large.jpg

Acura RSX.... :mjcry: RIP...

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Because sports cars are no longer status symbols. Out in Jersey all the ballers buy tricked out pickups or Luxury SUVs.