The truth is what Castillo did to Floyd in his 20s could never be done to Roy Jones

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I think what really fukked Roy over was Hopkins getting to Trinidad before he could. Roy gave interviews about it at the time saying how pissed he was that they were fighting Hopkins because he knew how good Hopkins was and felt he was going to easily beat Trinidad. I think a Trinidad/Roy Jones fight would've been huge and did ridiculous numbers.

he was in no position to be pissed..don king called for the unification for the middleweight titles and tito and bhop were in the same division..what could roy do lol

jones-trinidad still happened....years after both of them slipped and no longer on top and still did good business i think lol

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
he was in no position to be pissed..don king called for the unification for the middleweight titles and tito and bhop were in the same division..what could roy do lol

jones-trinidad still happened....years after both of them slipped and no longer on top and still did good business i think lol
Here was one interview I found about it.

Roy Jones Jr - September 2001: Hopkins, Trinidad, Ya’ll Must Have Forgot

Currently in Australia, filming the sequels to “The Matrix” with Keanu Reeves, Jones was not surprised with Bernard Hopkins’ win over Felix Trinidad on September 29 and considering that Jones beat Hopkins way back in May 1993, what does that say about the comparison between him and Trinidad?

“That fight was not really a hard fight to call because, me knowing Bernard Hopkins, I beat Bernard with one hand basically back when we fought in 1993,” said Jones.

“I asked Don King, when Don asked me about fighting Felix Trinidad, I said, ‘Don, I’ll fight Trinidad, but do me a favour. Keep him away from Bernard Hopkins. Keep him away from Shane Mosley. He cannot beat those guys. He is not as good as you all think he is.

“The tough man ain’t the better fighter. He cannot last with me. I told him I’ve got a song about Trinidad, ‘if he goes past five rounds then there must be something wrong with me’. He couldn’t go five rounds with me.”

The plan of promoter Don King and the executives of Madison Square Garden and HBO was to eventually match Trinidad with Jones in a huge super-fight. A Trinidad-Jones fight is now no more, which Jones admits has cost him a lot of money.

“It cost me probably around, roughly about US$20 million, but we won’t talk about that,” he said. “I told Don (King) in a room in Pensacola, Florida in a hotel meeting that if you want to see Roy Jones-Trinidad, do not fight Bernard Hopkins. How much clearer can it get than that?”

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
Here was one interview I found about it.

Roy Jones Jr - September 2001: Hopkins, Trinidad, Ya’ll Must Have Forgot

Currently in Australia, filming the sequels to “The Matrix” with Keanu Reeves, Jones was not surprised with Bernard Hopkins’ win over Felix Trinidad on September 29 and considering that Jones beat Hopkins way back in May 1993, what does that say about the comparison between him and Trinidad?

“That fight was not really a hard fight to call because, me knowing Bernard Hopkins, I beat Bernard with one hand basically back when we fought in 1993,” said Jones.

“I asked Don King, when Don asked me about fighting Felix Trinidad, I said, ‘Don, I’ll fight Trinidad, but do me a favour. Keep him away from Bernard Hopkins. Keep him away from Shane Mosley. He cannot beat those guys. He is not as good as you all think he is.

“The tough man ain’t the better fighter. He cannot last with me. I told him I’ve got a song about Trinidad, ‘if he goes past five rounds then there must be something wrong with me’. He couldn’t go five rounds with me.”

The plan of promoter Don King and the executives of Madison Square Garden and HBO was to eventually match Trinidad with Jones in a huge super-fight. A Trinidad-Jones fight is now no more, which Jones admits has cost him a lot of money.

“It cost me probably around, roughly about US$20 million, but we won’t talk about that,” he said. “I told Don (King) in a room in Pensacola, Florida in a hotel meeting that if you want to see Roy Jones-Trinidad, do not fight Bernard Hopkins. How much clearer can it get than that?”

Was about to say this. Roy knows this boxing game inside and out even in his prime when he was kind of cocky.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I can never forget it. Everyone thought Felix would beat Hopkins and fight Roy in a super fight. That was the huge fight everyone wanted for 2002.